LAS Location Questions

Old Apr 24, 14, 5:45 am
Original Poster

LAS Location Questions

I almost never rent from anyone but National, but the rate for next week is less than a third at LAS. So my question is how is the process with Thrifty at LAS? Does signing up for Blue Chips help any? Any way to bypass the line? Thanks
Old Apr 28, 14, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
If you are Blue Chip you do not have to stop at the counter on the concourse level at all, but rather go straight to the garage. Your name should be on the board. Since this will be your first time, they will probably take a look at your license/credit card to confirm the info at the kiosk, but that shouldn't take long.

I was last there in January, and they still had not changed the signs...Thrifty is now located in the same place as Dollar, so follow the signs to the Dollar part of the garage.
Old Jun 15, 14, 2:18 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
LAS Location Questions

Dollar is upstairs in the garage whereas Thrifty used to be downstairs. They still have the same counter locations in the lobby.
Old Jun 15, 14, 2:34 pm

Neither of these is true anymore. In the lobby, Thrifty has now consolidated with the Dollar counter, and both are consolidated in the garage, which is off to the left when you come in (Thrifty used to be the center area).

The old Thrifty counter in the lobby is now occupied by Firefly.

I was there a week ago.
Old Aug 31, 14, 5:40 pm
NBL

I'm currently in Las Vegas and have had a terrible experience with Thrifty here so far.

First, Thrifty/Dollar seems to be the only major company in the complex without self-serve kiosks. So there's a pretty long line at 2:00 on Saturday afternoon and only 2 people working on the Thrifty side (2 more on the Dollar side where the line is a little shorter). None of the other agencies have lines of more than two people. After about a 30-minute wait, I get receive a very hard sell for the supplemental insurance and size upgrade from the (IMO) too chatty older lady working there. I appreciate the need to be nice to the customers, but personally I'd settle for a little less chit chat if it would make the line move 10% faster.

So after I'm done with her I go downstairs to the garage where there's another line in the 100-degree heat to get a car. I'm told I'd have to wait for my midsize to arrive, and I offer to take something smaller if it will get me out of there faster. So I'm given a Toyota Corolla. Fine, not a problem; I usually get a compact anyway, only reserved a mid this time b/c of a points bonus from Southwest Airlines.

When I get to my hotel, I notice that the trunk won't close. So I check in and call Thrifty. I'm told that if I go back Saturday I might have to wait 1-2 hours for a replacement car. So I tell them I'll wait; it's not obvious from looking at the car that the trunk is unlocked. When I call back this morning I'm told that there are cars, but I'm "reminded" that I need to re-fuel the car within 10 miles of the airport. I'm like basically, "whatever", knowing that there's no way I'm paying that.

So I go back to Thrifty and no huge problem until I happen to ask the person working at the desk in the garage if there's a fuel charge (the gauge was at 7/8, but the only driving I did was to and from the hotel). I'm certain she wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't ask, but she said there was a charge ($17+) and there was nothing she could do about it. I ask where the manager is and she directs me back into the car facility. I get there and this time the Dollar side has a line that surely would take 60+ minutes to wait through, but only person waiting on the Thrifty side. Fortunately, the guy working at the terminal closest to me sees me holding my keys and agreement in my hand and waves me over when he's done with his customer. I ask if he's the manager, and he doesn't really answer, but I explain I want the fuel charge reversed. He said it's against company policy to do that, but I (very much out of character for me) become insistent, saying that it's completely unacceptable and that the only reason I used that gas was to return a defective car. He relents and refunds my money. But I've still lost 90 minutes of my trip (not even counting the long lines I waited on Saturday).

I doubt I'll be returning to Thrifty at LAS.
Old Aug 31, 14, 6:40 pm

Thrifty Blue Chip has a satisfaction guarantee. If you're not satisfied, e-mail them, and they'll refund one day's charges. However, it is usually expected, standard procedure to refuel the rental on your way back, even if you're returning it because of discovered issues.
Old Aug 31, 14, 6:48 pm

-redacted-
Old Sep 29, 14, 3:45 pm

My LAS Thrifty experience...

I usually rent from Alamo or Hertz or Fox in Vegas, but AutoSlash got me a better price at Thrifty, so I relented (which I now regret, the few dollars saving definitely were not worth it). I picked up a car yesterday, Sunday, dropped it off this afternoon. In no particular order...

1. When Autoslash rebooked, my Bluechip # was not included, so I knew there was a line in my future, but figured early Sunday afternoon wouldn't be too bad.

2. As the other member here reported, Thrifty and Dollar now share the same area, Dollar to the left and Thrifty to the right, Dollar has more customer service agents. Thrifty had 2 on the counter. A guy and a gal, the gal was darn right scary with the aggressiveness of her insurance hussle (see below); I got the guy who apparently was born without a tongue (see below).

3. I was fourth in line at Thrifty, it took forever. The agents were really slow.

4. I couldn't help but notice that those customers who were foreign, got the insurance hard sale hussle, Americans didn't. When it came to my turn, I swear the agent didn't say one word to me (not even re the fuel option or add'l insurance). It must have been the "don't even think of goin' there" glare in my eyes and the disgust I was throwing off from seeing and hearing the insurance hussle being dumped on others, who obviously were not prepared to deal with it.

5. I was directed to go downstairs to the car area. Some lady who looked like she was over her head, was directing the party ahead of me to take a blue compact car; the party objected because it "smelled of smoke". She then turned to me and offered me the car. I declined (quite frankly not because it smelled of smoke, but because of my fear that when I returned the car, I'd get charged for supposedly having smoked in the car). There were no takers for that car, unfortunately, that WAS the only compact car in their inventory.

6. The lady was replaced by some "normal" guy. After 20 minutes, compact cars started appearing and I was off to the exit booth (but not before I did my close inspection, including photographing the car with my cell, etc.)

7. When I got to the exit booth, I advised the attendant of the defects in the car (windshield nicks and cracks, and a few scratches on the hood). No form was provided to write down defects. He hand wrote my observations on the back of my contract, signed and initialed it, without looking for himself to see if the damage was there.

8. The contract and associated paperwork made a huge deal of the necessity of bringing back a receipt with gas fill up, within 10 miles of the car center.

9. On my return this afternoon, it went without incident; I was asked for the receipt showing I filled the tank (think I drove 25 miles).

10. All in all, not a very pleasant customer friendly experience. Having to stand in line to rent a car and having to witness the usual hard sell behavior to others, having to wait to get the car, all left a bad taste in my mouth.

I did fill out the exit survey for 10% off a future rental. Something tells me, in LAS at least, it will go unused.

Originally Posted by NBL View Post
I'm currently in Las Vegas and have had a terrible experience with Thrifty here so far.

First, Thrifty/Dollar seems to be the only major company in the complex without self-serve kiosks. So there's a pretty long line at 2:00 on Saturday afternoon and only 2 people working on the Thrifty side (2 more on the Dollar side where the line is a little shorter). None of the other agencies have lines of more than two people. After about a 30-minute wait, I get receive a very hard sell for the supplemental insurance and size upgrade from the (IMO) too chatty older lady working there. I appreciate the need to be nice to the customers, but personally I'd settle for a little less chit chat if it would make the line move 10% faster.

So after I'm done with her I go downstairs to the garage where there's another line in the 100-degree heat to get a car. I'm told I'd have to wait for my midsize to arrive, and I offer to take something smaller if it will get me out of there faster. So I'm given a Toyota Corolla. Fine, not a problem; I usually get a compact anyway, only reserved a mid this time b/c of a points bonus from Southwest Airlines.

When I get to my hotel, I notice that the trunk won't close. So I check in and call Thrifty. I'm told that if I go back Saturday I might have to wait 1-2 hours for a replacement car. So I tell them I'll wait; it's not obvious from looking at the car that the trunk is unlocked. When I call back this morning I'm told that there are cars, but I'm "reminded" that I need to re-fuel the car within 10 miles of the airport. I'm like basically, "whatever", knowing that there's no way I'm paying that.

So I go back to Thrifty and no huge problem until I happen to ask the person working at the desk in the garage if there's a fuel charge (the gauge was at 7/8, but the only driving I did was to and from the hotel). I'm certain she wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't ask, but she said there was a charge ($17+) and there was nothing she could do about it. I ask where the manager is and she directs me back into the car facility. I get there and this time the Dollar side has a line that surely would take 60+ minutes to wait through, but only person waiting on the Thrifty side. Fortunately, the guy working at the terminal closest to me sees me holding my keys and agreement in my hand and waves me over when he's done with his customer. I ask if he's the manager, and he doesn't really answer, but I explain I want the fuel charge reversed. He said it's against company policy to do that, but I (very much out of character for me) become insistent, saying that it's completely unacceptable and that the only reason I used that gas was to return a defective car. He relents and refunds my money. But I've still lost 90 minutes of my trip (not even counting the long lines I waited on Saturday).

I doubt I'll be returning to Thrifty at LAS.

Search this Thread