Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Dollar Thrifty Closing/Rebranding at Some Airport Locations

Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold

I've noticed some changes lately with Thrifty and Dollar locations in California. Dollar at Sacramento Airport (SMF) has shutdown and Thrifty is being rebranded to Dollar at John Wayne Orange County (SNA). Some of this may be part of the Hertz acquisition. I wonder how many other changes are out there.

I was crediting my rentals to Blue Chip because of my frequent trips to Orange County. I guess I will go back to earning miles instead.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*
The easiest thing is to just sign up for Dollar Express, the reason some locations are rebranding is due to the requirement for Hertz to divest various Dollar and Thrifty locations when it bought them. Thrifty has closed at DCA (for about a couple of months now) there is only Dollar which is at an offsite location and they share the same location with Advantage. It looks like they are getting ready to operate Dollar and Thrifty in local markets where Hertz Local Editions are (based on the Dollar and Thrifty websites)
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
At San Diego airport (SAN), Dollar and Thrifty are now combined into one location. The old, pretty decent Thrifty location is closed, even though no one had taken down the sign that says "Thrifty Car Return".
The new location is dangerous. Returning the car involves a right turn from a busy street into a very small return area that can be partially blocked by other cars. The rental office is also very tight and inefficient. I wouldn't recommend the place.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
In Las Vegas, Thrifty is now located at the Dollar location (within the big central car rental facility). Problem was, we automatically headed for the Thrifty garage, only to see the sign AFTER taking the escalator to go to the Dollar location (in another area). We're so dumb we did it 2 trips in a row.

I would think that if they were going to actually combine the 2 brands any Blue Chip credits you have would carry over?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.