Picking car up early

Old Sep 24, 12, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott PP, HH Diamond
Picking car up early

I have a reservation for a midsize SUV at KOA for 7PM. Due to some flight changes I will actually now arrive at 3:30PM. I called Thrifty (also have a reservation at Budget) and they told me that the earliest time to pick up a reserved vehicle was a max of 1 hour before. To change the reservation to reflect a pick up time of 4:30 PM would increase the rental by about double what I originally reserved for. If it was just a few days, not a big deal but this is for over a week rental.

Anyone have experience picking up a reserved car more than an hour earlier than the reserved time?
Old Sep 25, 12, 11:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by crf450x View Post
Anyone have experience picking up a reserved car more than an hour earlier than the reserved time?
I picked a minivan, for a college dorm move, four hours early in STL a couple of months ago without having to change the reservation. The rate remained the same. I simply called the local office after I arrived on an earlier flight. They had a vehicle available and told me that I could come over and pick it up.
Old Sep 26, 12, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*
It really depends on the time you book it and what the rate quote is, but they should have been able to do something about the extra couple of hours. What might have triggered that was the return time which probably prompted an extra day.
Old Sep 26, 12, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

The reservation is for Pickup at KOA on a Thursday at 7PM and return the following Thursday at 11AM. Since my flight is not arriving at KOA at 3:30 PM I called to see if they would make the adjustment to a 4:30 Pick up but that more than doubled the rate from $260 to close to $600. So I told them to just keep the reservation as is.

The CS said that their rule is that you can pick up a car a maximum of an hour earlier than the reserved time. I also told them I would be returning the car earlier than 11am but that didn't matter to them. I will just get there early and hopefully they will have the aloha spirit and let us drive off early.

Just surprised that the rate would change so drastically.
Old Sep 26, 12, 4:37 pm

Can you give any specific dates? Have you tried to make an extra (dummy) booking? just to play around and see if its cheaper?
Old Sep 26, 12, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

the specific dates and times are 5/23/13 at 7pm to 5/30/13 at 11AM. Tried various combinations including the same exact dates and times and the rate for the Mid Size SUV has gone up. All I wanted to do was let them know that I would be picking up 2 hours early and turning the car in at least 2 hours earlier but if they made that change on the reservation the rate would more than double.

Very surprised they wouldn't adjust the time 2 hours earlier, especially since the return time is at 11AM so it is not like I need a few extra hours since all rentals are based on 24 hour block of times and not based on hours...
Old Sep 27, 12, 10:16 pm

This is what im seeing right now for May 23, 13 4PM pickup - May 30, 13 11 AM dropoff

Im assuming the $260.00 is before taxes and fees? Either way if you were trying to deal with the location then they might have also told you that it would be pricier to pick it up 3 hours earlier just to make more revenue, not that 3 hours should make a difference in a reservation if you pick up. If you are not already a member, join Blue Chip, IME they haven't given me as much trouble as a Blue Chip than when I was a regular customer, plus I get emails about 2x a week for deals. Just keep looking, rates will change between now and then.
Old Oct 3, 12, 6:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Cross-posting is not allowed on FlyerTalk. The OP has had the question answered on both fora, with similar answers, so this thread is closed. (Yes, we know there are bookings on two agencies, but that makes no difference and the OP will not use both bookings.)

/JDiver, Senior Moderator

(Of course, the OP could contact Aloha Car Rental at 800-292-1930 and probably save a bundle - the vehicle I get from them at KOA is usually a Alamo vehicle and far lower rates for a weekly rental than Budget or any other rental company offers. I have no idea how they do it, but I have always found them reliable and economical.)

Search this Thread