FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrifty-blue-chip-rewards-closed-posting-425/)
-   -   Nice little scam by Thrifty, Sydney Australia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrifty-blue-chip-rewards-closed-posting/1336627-nice-little-scam-thrifty-sydney-australia.html)

Flying_Duck Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Nice little scam by Thrifty, Sydney Australia

After having visited Sydney Australia for a few (pre-cruise) days in the first days Feb 2012, I rented a car for 2 days at Thrifty in Sydney Airport.

No one at the counter in the airport said anything about Toll roads n Sydney, and we had no clue that this was used anywhere in Australia.

So leaving Sydney, we quickly found out that indeed there were tolls, but no toll booth and nowhere to pay (no signs or instructions of what to do if you had this or that permit) with all seemingly electronically registered. The car did have some sort of electronic decal on the windshield, though not further described.

I, as I think any reasonable person would do, had to assume that the electronic bill from passing the toll point would go to the rental company (as happened), and that the toll amount be added to the rental bill. However, after having crossed a toll point 8 times over the 2 days, I asked when giving back the car and the agent as how they billed for that, and the agent said that we would be billed for it.

Fast forward 2 months, and I received a bille from the "Airport Motorway Limited" telling me to pay ~$5 for each toll + a $10 "service fee" for a total of $120 - My thought at the time was "wow", they really know how to fleece you - but I paid as I don't want to be denied entry into Australia when I visit next time!

2 weeks after I get two things, a credit card statement where someone has put 8 charges of $35 on my CC and a letter from Thrifty containing 8 separate notices of "Traffic Infringement". Each infringement charges me for THIRTYFIVE DOLLARS for a total of $280 for passing toll points that at most would have amounted to $25 or 1120 percent surcharge in "administrative cost".

So now I have to use tome dealing with my CC company to cancel out those , dare I say if not fraudulent, then certainly predatory, charges as well as with Thrifty to document to them that I have paid for the missed tolls by paing the comnpany administrating the tolls what I initially considered an obscene fee.

Obviously if Thrifty Australia was a service oriented and costumer friendly company, they would either have told me about how to pre-pay or post-pay with a reasonable amount the tolls as they obviously know that foreigners have no clue how this work, and sort of have to rely on said costumer service to take care of the problem when one is not able to pay for the toll as in any other country I have visited.

But not so. Obviously Thrifty Australia is neither costumer friendly nor service oriented, they are like other predators, only waiting for a chance to screw and defraud you royally - Exept in this instance somebody got to me before them.

What a tourist friendly place Sydney is for foreigners!

DillMan Apr 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Flying_Duck (Post 18405475)
No one at the counter in the airport said anything about Toll roads n Sydney, and we had no clue that this was used anywhere in Australia.

I found a new toll road I'd never knew existed in SFO last week. Should Hertz have told me about it ahead of time?

Originally Posted by Flying_Duck (Post 18405475)
But not so. Obviously Thrifty Australia is neither costumer friendly nor service oriented, they are like other predators, only waiting for a chance to screw and defraud you royally - Exept in this instance somebody got to me before them.

What a tourist friendly place Sydney is for foreigners!

Hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

The fees are all outlined in your rental agreement. You agreed to them when you reviewed and signed the rental agreement prior to taking the car. Every time I've rented a car in Australia I've either (1) asked for a toll tag from the rental car facility (specifically with Thirty actually) or (2) used my own. I would be quite upset after investing in my own if Thirty had their own toll reader in the car as well.

I can't see how this is there problem at all. You failed to research your destination and/or read the rental agreement.

kwildnj Apr 22, 2012 8:42 am

I have to agree with Dill here. I presume one can exit the airport without entering a toll road, correct?

How is the rental counter supposed to know where you will be driving?