Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrifty Blue Chip not a scam but not much use.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:22 pm

Another Benefit

I agree that the "free" rental may or may not be a benefit, but my travel changes often and I routinely have to change my rental return date. There is a daily fee to do this (plus the additional actual rental rate for extra days). With Blue Chip, you only pay for the actual days you rent the car - the fees are waived for members! Keep it an extra 5 days and you save at least $50 in fees ($10 per day!!) This has saved me hundreds of $$$$!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have also just brought the certificate with me and it has always been deducted from the already discounted rate.

But someone upstream mentioned "16 rentals" - it's 16 days total, so if you have a 3 day rental and a 13 day rental - 2 "rentals" - you'll get your free day.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Prior to my retirement a few years back, I had rented Thrifty a fair amount on business trips, and had taken advantage of some free rental days.

Recently tho, when checking my Blue Chip account, I noticed that a couple of my rental day credits had "expired", as the rentals had taken place more than a year prior to my checking. Is such credit expiration new at Thrifty, or has this always been the case?

If Thrifty rental credits are going to expire after a year, then doubt I will ever again accummulate enough credits for a free day.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ColoBill1
Prior to my retirement a few years back, I had rented Thrifty a fair amount on business trips, and had taken advantage of some free rental days.

Recently tho, when checking my Blue Chip account, I noticed that a couple of my rental day credits had "expired", as the rentals had taken place more than a year prior to my checking. Is such credit expiration new at Thrifty, or has this always been the case?

If Thrifty rental credits are going to expire after a year, then doubt I will ever again accummulate enough credits for a free day.
I believe they have always had an expiration date on the certificate. Did you call to see if they could send another cert out?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ua653flyer
I believe they have always had an expiration date on the certificate. Did you call to see if they could send another cert out?
They will do this, as far as I'm aware.

However, the OP's question was, as I understand it, if the rental credits you earn (before the cert is issued) expire. That is, if you only rent 5 days a year (and earn 5 credits--16 being needed for a free day certificate), will the 5 from two years ago drop off before you get the 16 needed for a certificate?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:16 am

This post made me go look at my Blue Chip account. I keep pretty good track of my rentals, and I get my Free Day certs like clockwork. So I was surprised to see these "credit expirations" - have no idea what they are, but I do get full credit. Anyone know what they mean? ColoBill1 - are they what you're seeing on your account?

11/12/2012 LAS VEGAS-MCCARRAN INT'L 3 0 Rental Credit
11/10/2012 PHOENIX 2 0 Rental Credit
0 0 1 Free Day Certificate(s) Awarded
11/3/2012 BOSTON LOGAN INT'L/REVERE-EAST 3 1 Rental Credit
8/31/2012 LAS VEGAS-MCCARRAN INT'L 2 2 Rental Credit
6/28/2012 PHOENIX 2 2 Rental Credit
6/25/2012 LAS VEGAS-MCCARRAN INT'L 3 3 Rental Credit
0 2 Credits Expiration
4/26/2012 HONOLULU 5 5 Rental Credit
2/22/2012 PHOENIX 3 3 Rental Credit
0 2 Credits Expiration
0 2 Credits Expiration

You have 7 Blue Chip Rewards credits. You need 9 more for a free day's rental.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Feb 20, 2013 at 2:23 am Reason: to remove confirm #s
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Yes, you get full credit as you earn them. Then, those credits die exactly 12 months later. Each of those "Credits Expiration" lines is the indication one of the credits you earned just got squashed.

If you don't rent at least 16 days a year from Thrifty, then all of your credits will eventually expire before you can accumulate a free rental certificate, and are therefore useless.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
This post made me go look at my Blue Chip account. I keep pretty good track of my rentals, and I get my Free Day certs like clockwork. So I was surprised to see these "credit expirations" - have no idea what they are, but I do get full credit. Anyone know what they mean? ColoBill1 - are they what you're seeing on your account?

11/12/2012 LAS VEGAS-MCCARRAN INT'L 3 0 Rental Credit
11/10/2012 PHOENIX 2 0 Rental Credit
0 0 1 Free Day Certificate(s) Awarded
11/3/2012 BOSTON LOGAN INT'L/REVERE-EAST 3 1 Rental Credit
8/31/2012 LAS VEGAS-MCCARRAN INT'L 2 2 Rental Credit
6/28/2012 PHOENIX 2 2 Rental Credit
6/25/2012 LAS VEGAS-MCCARRAN INT'L 3 3 Rental Credit
0 2 Credits Expiration
4/26/2012 HONOLULU 5 5 Rental Credit
2/22/2012 PHOENIX 3 3 Rental Credit
0 2 Credits Expiration
0 2 Credits Expiration

You have 7 Blue Chip Rewards credits. You need 9 more for a free day's rental.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:00 am

Except that...since I don't take THAT many trips I keep very accurate records, and in MY case, I have had no expired credits, no squashed credits, everything is exactly as it should be, yet I still have the stupid "02 credits expired" listed. As a matter of fact, I'm in PHX even as we speak, rented from Thrifty, got a fantastic-for-Phoenix "hot deals rate", brought in my free certificate and they took a full day's base right off the top of my discounted rate. The point I'm making, back to the OP, is that I completely disagree that Blue Chip is "not much use" - I love it.

But I still don't know what those "2 credits expired" mean. They are NOT missing credits for me.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by ua653flyer
Expiration of a free day certificate/credit was not what I was commenting on.

Originally Posted by jackal

However, the OP's question was, as I understand it, if the rental credits you earn (before the cert is issued) expire. That is, if you only rent 5 days a year (and earn 5 credits--16 being needed for a free day certificate), will the 5 from two years ago drop off before you get the 16 needed for a certificate?
Yes, this is what I was commenting on.

Originally Posted by jerry305
Yes, you get full credit as you earn them. Then, those credits die exactly 12 months later.

If you don't rent at least 16 days a year from Thrifty, then all of your credits will eventually expire before you can accumulate a free rental certificate, and are therefore useless.
Well, now that free days will be out of reach for me, a cheaper rate is what I will need to book with Thrifty...and Thrifty is by no means always the cheapest rate available.

Last edited by ColoBill1; Mar 6, 2013 at 11:18 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:07 am

Absolutely agree with your last statement. My last rental was with Alamo, and my next will be with Budget. I often find Thrifty to have the best rates, but when they don't it's silly to book with them - that would eat up any benefit of the free day, wouldn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.