RIPOFF? :Thrifty Refuel Charges at PHX on Full Gas Tank

Old Jan 1, 12, 5:58 pm

Good point, o mikros. I guess that I need to work on my reading comprehension skills.
Old Mar 26, 12, 3:50 pm

I had this happen in Tampa

I too was charged for gas by Thrifty when I returned the car on full in Tampa. I have returned cars to other rental companies at this airport many times in the past filling up at the same station and was never charged. This is an obvious rip off to enhance their profits. I will not be renting from Thrifty in the future.
Old Mar 26, 12, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*
[QUOTE=thomas3633;17683874]I admit to not reading everything in the rental agreement, but I am like most people and want to get in my car and leave the airport ASAP when I rent a car.

What I do not admit to is trying to ripoff thrifty. I returned the vehicle after visiting the gas station and filling up the tank just as I have done many times before. It just seems that this particular branch of thirfty seems to have it out for people who do not take the prepaid fuel option.

I rented a car from SNA exactly a week before and they did not ask for a gas receipt when I returned the car.

I was just wondering if this was a new gotcha even though it may have been in the rental agreement for a long time.
QUOTE]

No, this has been going on for at least 2 years. Some places will ask and others don't, and some places won't ask and will charge you anyways. Just be on the safe side, take pics before you take the car out/have the Renting Agent (and only the renting agent) note damages, check everything before you go.
Old Mar 29, 12, 3:01 pm

My fiancée returned her rental to Thrifty at SEA this afternoon and had just filled it up outside the airport. She forgot to get a receipt however, and the Thrifty rep wanted to charge her for a less than full tank, saying the gas gauge was off by one mile. When asked how she could tell such a small amount on a gas gauge that was at "F", the rep told her "I'm an expert". Luckily my fiancée was early for her flight and had time to contest it - they pulled the car over to the refiling station and watched how much gas it took - 0.2 gallons. The rep told her "oh, I guess it was full" and walked away without saying anything else.

As others have pointed out several times, ALWAYS keep your receipt!
Old Aug 10, 13, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Originally Posted by lpatron View Post
My fiancée returned her rental to Thrifty at SEA this afternoon and had just filled it up outside the airport. She forgot to get a receipt however, and the Thrifty rep wanted to charge her for a less than full tank, saying the gas gauge was off by one mile. When asked how she could tell such a small amount on a gas gauge that was at "F", the rep told her "I'm an expert". Luckily my fiancée was early for her flight and had time to contest it - they pulled the car over to the refiling station and watched how much gas it took - 0.2 gallons. The rep told her "oh, I guess it was full" and walked away without saying anything else.

As others have pointed out several times, ALWAYS keep your receipt!
What I don't understand is, even if I refills at a station within 10 mile radius, and even if I keep the receipt, what is stopping me from not refiling it to completely full, but barely full so that the gauge reads F? What does the gas receipt prove in this case?
Old Aug 11, 13, 7:10 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by roubaolic View Post
What I don't understand is, even if I refills at a station within 10 mile radius, and even if I keep the receipt, what is stopping me from not refiling it to completely full, but barely full so that the gauge reads F? What does the gas receipt prove in this case?
It shows that you're either a reasonable, honorable person who's trying to live up to his end of the bargain or a devious sleazebag who's overthinking how to work the system for an extra buck.

Hint: go with integrity
Old Aug 12, 13, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Originally Posted by o mikros View Post
It shows that you're either a reasonable, honorable person who's trying to live up to his end of the bargain or a devious sleazebag who's overthinking how to work the system for an extra buck.

Hint: go with integrity
I'm not saying I'm going to go for the "work the system" approach. I'm just saying the policy of requiring gas receipt is useless and does not achieve what it was meant to achieve.
Old Aug 12, 13, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*
I'm not saying I'm going to go for the "work the system" approach. I'm just saying the policy of requiring gas receipt is useless and does not achieve what it was meant to achieve.
Well, if there is a doubt, even if the needle is on the fill line, they actually have taken the car to the pump to see if the vehicle will accept more gas. Make it easier on yourself, don't try to game the system. Every company has their own policies. At one Avis location there was a notice on paper that fuel would be automatically charged at flat rate of $13.99 if the car was driven under 65 miles. Even if you drove 15-20 miles ($1.50-$2.50 in gas) you would still be paying the $13.99 which is ridiculous, plus I'm sure that there is a group of people who don't drive more than 65 miles for a one day rental.
Old Aug 12, 13, 7:48 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
It achieves exactly what it was meant to achieve.
As all rules in life it will keep reasonably honest people honest and dishonest people have to work a little harder and think of ways to game the system.
That applies to all of life's rules we learned growing up

Search this Thread