Cars and (winter) tires at BOS in late Oct

Old Sep 7, 11, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB
Cars and (winter) tires at BOS in late Oct

Hi All,

We're planning a trip around New England and up to Montreal, then perhaps back to BOS and fly over to BUF for Niagara, or perhaps driving all the way and dropping the car in BUF (that's another thread...) Anyway I've been warned that it's not implausible that we may get some severe weather in these regions (particularly Canada) in late Oct/early Nov, although I'm hoping for a late fall and some nice colours! In case of snow though, I was wondering what sort tires will be fitted to the BOS fleet at this time of year - are they always on summer tires or do they fit all-season or even winter tires? I know from my own experience in the UK that winter tyres make a much bigger difference to grip on snow and ice than AWD (my Subaru has has both in the winter, but most UK drivers use summer tyres year-round), so I know how important it is. I'm asking in the Thrifty board since they're coming out cheapest via Netflights, but the same question applies to all the rental firms out of BOS really.

Also, what is the Thrifty fleet like at BOS? I will probably just book compact/Chevy Aveo sized, do they actually have any Aveos or will I likely get a Dodge Caliber/Ford Focus or something? Do they have any/many Dodgy Chargers as the midsize? I quite fancy one of those so would pay extra for that, but otherwise I'd rather just save on fuel. What's the scope of upgrades to a specific model at the desk, if you're on a bargain-basement broker voucher?
Old Sep 7, 11, 6:00 pm

A one-way from BOS to BUF won't be possible with Thrifty, because Thrifty BOS is corporate and BUF is a franchise.
Old Sep 8, 11, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Well that helps make one decision, thanks! Will return the first car to BOS, fly over to BUF and pick up another car then. Still interested in the car selection at both stations and the tire issue if anyone has info?

Last edited by Jamp; Sep 8, 11 at 5:05 am
Old Sep 8, 11, 7:46 am

Neither Boston nor Buffalo is a hub. A quick Orbitz check shows the only direct flights between them are on USAir, with 2 flights daily. It also seems expensive, >$100 plus tax each way, for a short flight.

You might want to check the one-way prices with the "premium" brands whose locations at both BOS and BUF are corporate: Hertz, National/Alamo, and Avis (but not Budget). You should also check one-way pricing in each direction, and picking up from a neighborhood store.

If you decide to do a one-way car rental, note the difference between cheaper total cost and value. A compact for $150/day might have a cheaper total cost than flying if you fill it with 4 passengers. But you're still paying a lot of money for what could be a year old, worn out, high mileage econobox. Only you can decide which is more important to you.
Old Sep 9, 11, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply again Auto E. Jetblue fly the route too for under $100, and US Air aren't much more for the dates we're looking at. There are only two of us but I appreciate your point about the relative cost.

I will try to price up the one-way with the big guys but I did have a go previously and it was coming out very expensive. I think we're favouring the option of two cars and flying in between. Therefore, I'd still be interested in the car types and tire questions.
Old Sep 22, 11, 11:42 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Jamp View Post
Hi All,

Anyway I've been warned that it's not implausible that we may get some severe weather in these regions (particularly Canada) in late Oct/early Nov, although I'm hoping for a late fall and some nice colours! In case of snow though, I was wondering what sort tires will be fitted to the BOS fleet at this time of year - are they always on summer tires or do they fit all-season or even winter tires?

I don't know if winter tires will be on the vehicles, but the weather is not likely to be a big risk. Snow accumulation not very likely that early in the year; icy conditions are possible, but not likely. This really shouldn't affect your plans.

It's way riskier driving in more southern areas when they occasionally get ice, where drivers aren't used to ice, and cities have no equipment.

Enjoy the trip. Cheers.

Search this Thread