Thrifty Car Rental In Austin: Beware Bait and Switch

Old Aug 4, 11, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: exp 4.3mm miles
Thrifty Car Rental In Austin: Beware Bait and Switch

Yesterday, I had a very very bad experience when renting a car in Austin airport. I had reserved a car on CarRentals.com and checked into the counter downstairs at the Austin Airport. The rate all in as quoted on CarRentals.com (numbers rounded) was $37. After initialling and signing the paperwork, I noted that the rate on the form was $62.00. The agent said something to the effect that was for gas (which I did not request) and Tire damage, and a couple of other things. I told this agent I did not want any of the coverages, showed him the Car rentals.com document for $37. and his response: "That aint going to happen" I commented with my displeasure and he said "we're done, you can leave and I'll get security if you don't leave". Not saying I'm totally pefect, as I did express my displeasure at not getting the rate quoted, but I do feel that this is a typical bait and switch that car rental companies try to use, especially franchise locations. Another comment he made when I showed him the quote sheet, was: "That's corporate, not us." Without belaboring the rudeness of this agent, which was unbelievable, if you rent a car from Thrifty (and possibly Dollar as I believe the same company now) in Austin, make doubly sure you review the rate with the agent before he prints up your agreement. I sent a complaint to Thrifty via e-mail on their website customer service section, and am anxious to see if they can or will do anything. Fair warning!
Old Aug 5, 11, 5:39 am

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by wdbaldwin View Post
I had reserved a car on CarRentals.com and checked into the counter downstairs at the Austin Airport. The rate all in as quoted on CarRentals.com (numbers rounded) was $37. After initialling and signing the paperwork, I noted that the rate on the form was $62.00.

Have you complained to CarRentals.com? If so, how did they handle your complaint?
Old Aug 5, 11, 6:38 am

The Thrifty website T&Cs for Austin say they will initially charge you for gas, but if the car is returned full, the charge will be removed.
Old Aug 5, 11, 7:02 am
Original Poster

I lodged a complaint to Thrifty.com who sent me the rental confirmation after reserving with rentals.com, i.e., Thrifty.com being the ultimate source for the rental. However, probably not a bad idea to also advise CarRentals.com. Hopefully, "corporate" will get their franchisee and employee in line. The gas was part of it, but not real clear on the receipt what the extras were. I understand the agents are encouraged to "upsell" but it is unfortunate that there is no disclosure when adding these extras, and you have to analyze the receipt to be sure you're getting what you reserved. I will advise what Thrifty's response is, if any, and hopefully, corrective action will be taken to reduce these types of incidents in the future!
Old Aug 11, 11, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

I received a satisfactory response and apology today from Thrifty.com. I do believe this employee will be serving future customers with much more courtesy than I was. All I ask is to get what my confirmation says, otherwise what good is a confirmation quote? As a suggestion, when dealing with Thrifty or any rent car/hotel, it's a good idea to have the printout to show the agent/clerk prior to them bringing up the reservation. I had this information but it was on my phone, which i showed him. In retrospect, would have been better to show him paper copy. All better now!

Search this Thread