Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service Charge for Hwy 407 near Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat., AC*E
Service Charge for Hwy 407 near Toronto?

Can anyone confirm how much Thrifty adds to the toll as a service charge if I take my rental on the 407?

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: Best Western Diamond
Looks like it's $25.00

2. Electronic toll by-pass option: In a few cities, we offer an option to purchase an electronic toll bypass service for a per/day charge that allows the driver to bypass all toll booths and avoid electronic toll charges on all the toll roads in the city or state, as applicable; and, as many times a day as necessary. If you decline to purchase the toll bypass option, you will pay us for all unpaid toll road violations (including violations captured by camera) charged by the toll authority plus a $25.00 administrative fee per violation. If you have a personal transponder or account, it may not transfer to the rental vehicle and you will be charged a toll violation. Please be advised that some toll roads are managed electronically and have no manned booths. GPS units rented from us can be programmed to avoid toll roads.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat Prem, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond
This cashless thing stinks. I just got back from Denver on 407 and it's $25 per violation, so if you get off the highway to get water or gas and back on, it's twice. I had to call afterwards to add this pre-paid option and they charged me $51 in total for 4 days, I don't know how it is calculated.

This is my only bad experience with Thrifty, I have had good experience so far.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
When I used to rent without a transponder I was only charged the admin fee once. Driving on the highway without a valid transponder isn't considered a "violation" like, say, using the I-Pass lane on the Illinois tollway (nearest example I could think of). I just means you'll pay the video toll charge each time you get on, which is "only" $3.65 per trip. The admin fee is meant to cover costs associated with getting the bill to you, as they bill comes to Thrifty as the registered owner of the vehicle. Costs like staff time researching who was in which car at what time, and mailing you a copy of the invoice.

$25 is a bit steep imho, but it is only there to recoup costs, or at least should be. And to be clear, it should only be charged once because that fee is generated by Thrifty and has nothing to do with 407 ETR.

For example:

Thrifty receives a bill with $18 worth of video and toll charges to a vehicle you were renting at the time.

Thrifty should be charging $46.25 to your credit card: $25 admin fee (plus 13% sales tax) and the $18 they paid to 407ETR on your behalf.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Thrifty receives a bill with $18 worth of video and toll charges to a vehicle you were renting at the time.

Thrifty should be charging $46.25 to your credit card: $25 admin fee (plus 13% sales tax) and the $18 they paid to 407ETR on your behalf.
I would guess that would depend on if Thrifty received a single bill for $18 at the end of the month (or whatever the toll authority's periodic cut-off is) or a separate invoice for each toll charge.

If the former, then yes, Thrifty should (and definitely should if they aren't) charge a single fee.

If the latter, then each toll would require a separate look-up and a ton of extra labor by Thrifty's accounting department, and the $25 for each incident would be (somewhat) legitimate.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
You Don't Have To Put Up With It

Rented from Enterprise in Toronto last week. Their fee was going to be something much more nominal based on actual use, and even at that the agent pointed out where the 407 was, said all the locals avoided it, pointed out the alternative, and suggested it wasn't worth the toll except at the height of rush hour. Let's just say I was a Thrifty regular for years and put up all the nagging little Dollar/Thrifty issues, but somewhere finally there were too many in a row.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
At a Discount car rental branch I know of, they make you initial on the contract that you will not drive on the 407.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jayer
Rented from Enterprise in Toronto last week. Their fee was going to be something much more nominal based on actual use, and even at that the agent pointed out where the 407 was, said all the locals avoided it, pointed out the alternative, and suggested it wasn't worth the toll except at the height of rush hour. Let's just say I was a Thrifty regular for years and put up all the nagging little Dollar/Thrifty issues, but somewhere finally there were too many in a row.

Not to excuse Thrifty / Dollar here, but the tolls for rental cars on the 407 really are ridiculous. Thanks for the tip about Enterprise. I think that's a case of one particularly good practice at Enterprise, because every other 407 pricing I've had in Toronto sounds like your experience at Thrifty.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:07 pm

I recall $50-something for a 20-second trip my gf made a little while ago. Can't confirm the EXACT amount, but I remember there was a service charge that was the equivalent of the billing (which includes ANOTHER service charge).
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I rented at Enterprise last week.

Enterprise told me they charge a $10 fee, plus whatever actual billing they get for tolls. I think that's as good as you'll get.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by jackal
If the latter, then each toll would require a separate look-up and a ton of extra labor by Thrifty's accounting department, and the $25 for each incident would be (somewhat) legitimate.
That's a difficult line to ride though. One renter rents for two days mid-month, and the other rents for two days while riding the cut-off date; why should one pay more?

Originally Posted by jerry305
I rented at Enterprise last week.

Enterprise told me they charge a $10 fee, plus whatever actual billing they get for tolls. I think that's as good as you'll get.
I rented from a Budget location in 2005 that gave me unlimited 407 use for $12/day (was renting for one day). This was the Richmond Hill office which I believe is a licensee but not for sure. Other agencies might offer similar deals (albeit with higher pricing since that was 7 years ago).

When I bought a car here in 2005 I got a transponder and ended up keeping it even after I took my car back to BC. It costs $21/year and means you don't pay the nearly $4 per trip "video toll charge" and the rental agency will never know you used the freeway, therefore no admin fees. The 407ETR company does caution against the use of transponders in rentals car, since if the overhead gantry doesn't read the signal properly it will default to taking a picture of the rear plate. However, in 6+ years of renting in Toronto I've yet to receive a bill from any rental agency when using my own transponder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.