Search

Help: California/Nevada one way rental

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
Help: California/Nevada one way rental

Hi,

I've been looking at booking a car from SFO and returning in either in LAS or LAX. Not much of a difference which one for me. LAS would be slightly better.

Thrifty international states:

K.ONE WAY RENTAL POLICY.

One-way rentals are available free within Florida and California and between any two participating Corporate locations in California, Arizona and Nevada. Inquiry should be made with respect to any other one-way rentals and applicable supplemental charges.

However when booking it - they claim that one way fee to LAS is $400 and LAX is $300.

That's makes the rental 2.5x more expensive and seems to be against the rules. How do I get it sorted?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:02 pm

The rules you mentioned made it sound like one-ways within those states at corporate stores were at no extra charge, not between states.

Also please refer to other threads about Dollar/Thrifty's different one-way business model of a separate drop charge. Like the other rental agencies, cars are not "sent back" as long as it's between corporate stores. But Dollar/Thrifty favors long-term leisure renters over short-term business ones, so they can hire fewer staff.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
This is cool. But still SFO and LAX are in the same state, yet they still want to put that $300 on it, which I really don't want to pay on top of a 10 day rental
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by helahela
This is cool. But still SFO and LAX are in the same state, yet they still want to put that $300 on it, which I really don't want to pay on top of a 10 day rental
You mentioned you saw that verbiage on "Thrifty International." Are you booking via http://prepaid.thrifty.co.uk or via http://www.thrifty.com? I'm seeing the $300 one-way fee applied on the U.S. thrifty.com site, and I've never heard of a one-way drop fee waiver for California intra-state rentals. If it's something specially arranged by the UK prepaid tour desk, then you may need to book it via that site to get that special deal.

Edited to add: it appears it is indeed unique to the international tour desk. I attempted a booking at the prepaid UK site linked above and was given an all-inclusive rate of US$35.97 for a one-day rental in March, picking up at SFO and dropping off at either LAX or LAS. No drop fee was assessed.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: SQ PPS - M&M SEN - QR Platinum - ITA Executive - IC Diamond Ambassador
Want to bump this thread back to the top..
Have the same kind of rental coming up, leaving SFO to LAS (one-way)
Saw indeed the price difference when booking on thrifty.co.uk, but no mentioning of a drop fee.
Anyone any experiences in the meantime? (or alternatives for cheap SFO to LAS rentals?)

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.