FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrifty-blue-chip-rewards-closed-posting-425/)
-   -   Thrifty GEG (Spokane) hit me with a 11.11% RECOUP Fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrifty-blue-chip-rewards-closed-posting/1173748-thrifty-geg-spokane-hit-me-11-11-recoup-fee.html)

RatherBeOnATrain Jan 18, 2011 7:21 am

Thrifty GEG (Spokane) hit me with a 11.11% RECOUP Fee

The subject line says it all - Thrifty at GEG (Spokane) hit me with a 11.11% "RECOUP Fee" that was not part of the reservation made via thrifty.com.

I was quite disappointed and surprised by this. My prior forty or so Thrifty rentals at other other locations have always been within a dollar or so of the cost listed on the reservation. About half the time they've been on the mark, to the penny, while the other times they've been within a dollar... until now.

Auto Enthusiast Jan 18, 2011 8:57 am

They're a franchise. Buyer beware.

MIT_SBM Mar 10, 2011 12:24 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 15681470)
The subject line says it all - Thrifty at GEG (Spokane) hit me with a 11.11% "RECOUP Fee" that was not part of the reservation made via thrifty.com.

Was this fee listed on your reservation or on your contract when you picked up the vehicle? Or did was it just on the receipt when you returned the vehicle? Did you do anything that was not agreed to in the reservation? (i.e. change drop off location, drive into Canada, etc.)

jackal Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 15681470)

I was quite disappointed and surprised by this. My prior forty or so Thrifty rentals at other other locations have always been within a dollar or so of the cost listed on the reservation. About half the time they've been on the mark, to the penny, while the other times they've been within a dollar... until now.

I would be disappointed, too, but I'm having a hard time finding fault with Thrifty here. Here is a sample price quote for a rental in mid-April for a midsize car:

Code:

Rental Time Charge
$40.45
APT CONC RECOV FEE (11.11%)
$4.53

Customer Facility Charge ($3.00 per day)
$3.00
STATE TAX (15.6%)
$7.06
VEHICLE LICENSE FEE ($0.31 per day)
$0.31
Total Estimated Mandatory Charges (USD)
$55.35
Estimated Grand Total (USD)
$55.35

Notice the second item. It's quite visible in the reservation.

Spokane appears to have a couple of off-airport locations. Is it possible you accidentally made a reservation for one of the off-airport offices that the airport honored (and added the fee for)?

Here's what the one for Spokane North looks like:

Code:

Rental Time Charge
$32.15
STATE TAX (15.6%)
$5.02
Total Estimated Mandatory Charges (USD)
$37.17
Estimated Grand Total (USD)
$37.17

If your reservation looks more like that, then perhaps that explains the case.