SUV rental with Thrifty at SFO

Old Jan 10, 11, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Number 1 Gold
SUV rental with Thrifty at SFO

Hi there,

I've got an SUV reserved with Thrifty to pick up at SFO this week - the reservation is for a "Jeep Grand Cherokee or similiar" - we'll be driving up to the Lake Tahoe area to do some skiing.

Does anyone have any idea what type of vehicle we might get? I think I read on another thread that Thrifty mainly used Ford vehicles now?

Also, do you think the vehicle will have 4WD, or is there a chance they will try to give us a 2WD SUV? If we ask at the counter for one with 4WD do you think this will work?!

Many thanks.

Chris
Old Feb 3, 11, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta: Platinum Hilton: Diamond Priority Club: Spire
A year or so back, i had reserved an SUV at Nashville believing that it would surely have 4WD. Well when i got there all they had were 2WD. I ended up having to pay more and go with another company to rent something with 4WD. I would call ahead and make sure that they will have what you need.
Old Oct 16, 11, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
I got a car with them at SFO a few weeks ago. Was amazed at how good the service was. Car I had booked didn't work for me and they went above and beyond to find the right car. Ended up being 2 upgrade levels, but they only charged me for one (and I checked my receipt at the end to make sure they did it right!).
Old Nov 9, 11, 7:23 pm

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K.. Marriott/SPG Platinum
Just rennted a Ford Escape with them at SFO this past weekend. The vehicle's interior was a disgrace. Cigarett burns on the front seat.stains on the front and rear seats. Torn seats in the back. The transmission was slipping as I was driving it back for return. Thrifty tends to keep their vehicles longer. The vehicle I had was approaching 50k. Also, if you see out of State liscense plates, expect a worn car with high milage.
Old Nov 10, 11, 6:00 am

Also, if you see out of State license plates, expect a worn car with high mileage.

In my experience, that's also frequently the case with the other companies.
Old Nov 13, 11, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mapletree View Post
I got a car with them at SFO a few weeks ago. Was amazed at how good the service was. Car I had booked didn't work for me and they went above and beyond to find the right car. Ended up being 2 upgrade levels, but they only charged me for one (and I checked my receipt at the end to make sure they did it right!).
Hilarious!
1. Car didn't work
2. They upgraded you and charged you

Yep I'd be happy with that
Old Dec 18, 11, 3:25 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by AndDee View Post
Hilarious!
1. Car didn't work
2. They upgraded you and charged you

Yep I'd be happy with that
I assume the OP meant "didn't work for me" in the sense of personal preference, not in the mechanical sense.
Old Jul 3, 12, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone any experience of Thrifty O'Farrell Street in San Francisco? Current vehicles..?

Have a "Ford Escape" or similar booked.
Old Aug 4, 12, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer my own question, and info for others...

O'Farrell Street pick up location... Brand new (2013) Ford Escape, Nevada plates and with a little over 1000 miles on the clock.

Lovely rental.

Search this Thread