Wiki Posts
Search

Taken for a smooth ride

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Taken for a smooth ride

I paid for a package deal (Hotel and car rental) from a website and had an unpleasant surprise when I arrived at Thrifty. The price was supposed to include tax and insurance. I was charged for these. In addition, The counter agent told me in no uncertain terms that I had to buy a full tank of gas (although I had less than 50 miles RT from my Hotel). I will be weary of package deals in future.
I also had similar problems with Herz (I was told that Herz doesn't credit miles if I booked through one of the web car rentals site!).
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Gynob001
I paid for a package deal (Hotel and car rental) from a website and had an unpleasant surprise when I arrived at Thrifty. The price was supposed to include tax and insurance. I was charged for these. In addition, The counter agent told me in no uncertain terms that I had to buy a full tank of gas (although I had less than 50 miles RT from my Hotel). I will be weary of package deals in future.
In my experience, this requirement is always clearly explained in the package terms and conditions (if your package deal included insurance, then it must have been bought through one of the foreign tour package operations).

For example, this is from http://prepaid.thrifty.co.uk:

C.FUEL POLICY.

Company offers all of its Vehicles to Renters full of gas/petrol, and Renters are charged at the commencement of the rental an amount based on the average self-service pump price. Renters are instructed to return the vehicle as empty as possible. No refund is provided for unused fuel.
The same site sells a "Platinum Package" for approximately $15 more per day that includes this tank of fuel.

If you didn't book through the above site, then your complaint should be directed at whomever sold you the tour package, as it is their responsibility to make you aware of the particulars of the rental.

Otherwise, for those who do need the bundled coverage, the rates available through the prepaid packages are vastly superior to what's available for purchase at the rental counter, so keep that in mind before swearing off the prepaid deals altogether.

(If you're a US resident with your own insurance that extends to rental cars, then it's probably not necessary to go with the prepaid deals, though.)
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Response to..

This is through a US major reservation site.
Under Car rental rules and restrictions, I see, "•Taxes and surcharges are included."
No where I see the requirement for full tank charge mandatory. It was un ilaterally imposed by Thrifty. The only option I had was to forego the car rental and take a cab to my Hotel or find an alternate rental car.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it surprising that a U.S. reservations site would include all of the coverages. Perhaps it appeared to them on their side as a foreign tour voucher booking, which is why they [mistakenly?] enforced that requirement, since all of the foreign tour voicher bookings do require the customer to purchase a full tank of gas.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:40 pm
Suspended

This is through a US major reservation site.
Under Car rental rules and restrictions, I see, "Taxes and surcharges are included."
No where I see the requirement for full tank charge mandatory. It was un ilaterally imposed by Thrifty. The only option I had was to forego the car rental and take a cab to my Hotel or find an alternate rental car.
You will find that EVERY SINGLE rental car company either charges you upfront for gas, or requires you to fill it full on return. None care how short your driving will be. There are no refunds for unused fuel and no sliding fuel charge based on how much you used. Anywhere. EVER.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

I don't think you understand my post

Originally Posted by pinworm
You will find that EVERY SINGLE rental car company either charges you upfront for gas, or requires you to fill it full on return. None care how short your driving will be. There are no refunds for unused fuel and no sliding fuel charge based on how much you used. Anywhere. EVER.
I don't think you understand my post-I didn't want to pay for the full tank option when I rented the car. I wanted to fill the car myself. The lady at the counter insisted that since I didn't rent directly from Thrifty and used a Hote/car/flight deal instead, I had to buy their "full tank price" option. Despite the fact that I wasplanning to drive less than 50 miles, I had to pay for a full tank gas upfront.
For those who is curious about the company-it was Hotels.com
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think you understand my post-I didn't want to pay for the full tank option when I rented the car. I wanted to fill the car myself. The lady at the counter insisted that since I didn't rent directly from Thrifty and used a Hote/car/flight deal instead, I had to buy their "full tank price" option. Despite the fact that I wasplanning to drive less than 50 miles, I had to pay for a full tank gas upfront.
For those who is curious about the company-it was Hotels.com
It appears you were partially correct. Here are the rental T&C from Hotels.com's Hotel/Cars package product when using Thrifty in SEA (I picked a city at random):

Car Rules and Restrictions
Seattle (SEA): Thrifty Car Rental
THRIFTY RATE TERMS AND CONDITIONS

1. DEPOSIT AND LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER (€œLDW€) - PLEASE NOTE: A VALID CREDIT CARD IN THE RENTER'S NAME MAY BE REQUIRED FOR DEPOSIT; THIS DEPOSIT WILL BE REMOVED WHEN THE FINAL CHARGES ARE SETTLED. LDW is optional at the time of rental. Full LDW - from $18.99-$19.99 per day (currently $9.00 per day to $14.99 in California and $15.00 per day in Nevada).

2. FUEL POLICY - Thrifty offers vehicles full of fuel. Refueling service fee for all fuel not replaced at time of return based on miles driven or amount of gallons to refill the tank times the rate stated on the Rental Agreement. If Renter accepts Prepurchase Fuel Option and returns Vehicle with unused fuel, no credit or refund is given for unused fuel.

3. ADDITIONAL DRIVER CHARGE - $6.00 per day per additional driver, excluding California.

4. UNDERAGE DRIVER FEE - Drivers 21- 24 years of age ($25.00 per day; New York City $42.99 per day) unless prohibited by state law. Drivers in New York 18 - 21 years of age ($72.99 per day).

5. CHILD SEATS - Some states require Child seats. $5.00 to $8.00 per day where available.

6. MILEAGE CHARGE - Unlimited mileage applies to all vehicle rentals.

7. DRIVING RESTRICTIONS - Vehicles may usually be driven in any state in the continental United States. At limited locations, vehicles may be taken into Canada and Mexico only upon payment of a supplemental fee. In Alaska, driving on unpaved roads is prohibited, including, but are not limited to, Dalton, Steese, Dempster, Elliot, Denali and Taylor Highways. Travel into Canada from Alaska prohibited.

ONE WAY AND DROP OFF POLICY - One-way rentals available free within Florida and California. Renter should inquire about any other one-way rentals and supplemental charges.

DROP CHARGES

0 to 200 Miles
$ 50.00

201 to 500 Miles
$100.00

501 to 1000 Miles
$300.00

Over 1000 Miles
$500.00

ONE-WAY RESTRICTIONS
1. On request basis only.
2. Subject to availability, except rentals originating and terminating in California and Florida.
3. Limited to pick-up at all Thrifty corporate locations and Boston.
4. One-way rentals from New York City may only originate from JFK, LGA and NYC.
5. Certain specialty vehicles in specific locations are not available for one-way rentals.

9. INSURANCE

1. Supplemental Liability Insurance (€œSLI€) €“ U.S. Locations (Excluding Texas) - At most rental locations from $8.95 to $12.99 per day.
2. SLI €“ Florida Only - At most Florida rental locations for $10.99 per day.
3. Texas Automobile Rental Liability Insurance (€œTARL€) - $9.29 per day.
4. Personal Protection Plan (€œPPP€) €“ U.S. Locations (Except Florida) - $5.45 or $8.45 per day based on seating capacity.
5. Personal Accident and Effects Coverage (€œPAE€) €“ Florida Only - $5.99 to $6.99 per day at most Florida rental locations.
6. Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Protection ("UMP€) €“ U.S. Locations (Excluding Florida). Provides Renter, Authorized Driver and occupants of Vehicle, while operated by Renter or Authorized Driver, with coverage for injuries and damages caused by owner or driver of uninsured or underinsured third party vehicle. It is excess over any uninsured motorist insurance available to renter and provides up to $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence. Only available at limited number of Thrifty locations at $5.99 to $6.99 per day.
Here are the pricing details for my sample package:

Total: $674.35

Included:

* Items selected, taxes & service fees.

* tipCar taxes & fees
Clicking "Car taxes & fees" results in this popup:

Taxes & fees for cars
The taxes are tax recovery charges hotels.com pays to its vendors (e.g. car suppliers); for details, please see our Terms of Use. The fees cover hotels.com's costs in servicing your reservation.
Clicking the Terms of Use shows this section regarding tax recovery charges:

TERMS, CONDITIONS AND WARRANTIES
Tax Recovery Charge
The tax charge on certain hotel transactions is a recovery of all applicable transaction taxes (e.g. sales and use, occupancy, room tax, excise tax, value added tax, etc) that Hotels.com Vacations pays to the vendors (e.g. hotels, etc.) in connection with your travel arrangements.

Hotels.com Vacations is not the vendor collecting and remitting said tax to the applicable tax authorities. The vendors bill all applicable taxes to Hotels.com Vacations and Hotels.com Vacations remits such tax directly to the vendor. Hotels.com Vacations is not a co-vendor associated with the vendor with whom we book or reserve our customer's travel arrangements.

Taxability and the appropriate tax rate vary greatly by location. Actual tax cost paid by Hotels.com Vacations to the vendor may vary from the tax recovery charge, depending upon the rates, taxability, etc. in effect at the time of the actual use of the hotel, automobile, etc. by our customer.

Hotels.com Vacations does not incur the cost of sales tax from vendors located in Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon as these states do not impose a sales tax. Also, certain jurisdictions impose a hotel occupancy tax or other type of transaction tax upon the renting of a hotel room, an automobile, etc. The type of tax charged by the vendor will vary by service and location.

Service Fee
These fees cover the costs incurred by Hotels.com Vacations in servicing your travel reservation.
You should not have been forced to pay for fuel or taxes. However, insurance was not included. If you wanted to be covered by the rental company's coverage products, you would have needed to pay for them separately.

Regarding the fuel and taxes: I would suggest calling Thrifty Customer Care at 1-877-283-0858.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.