Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing on the fees in GEG (Spokane)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Packing on the fees in GEG (Spokane)

Picked up my wild car at GEG recently with an excellent weekend rate for a wild car. When I arrived at the counter, I went through a lengthy checkout process and first offered the 'opportunity' to buy the whole tank of gas. In fact, it would be automatically added to my bill unless I requested otherwise.

After having that removed, the estimate of the charges for the three day weekend stay were still $20 higher than my confirmation. They'd added another $4.95 per day (plus all of the associated taxes) for a AAA-like Trip Safety package in case I ran out of gas, locked my keys in the car, etc. I explained that I already had AAA at a significantly higher rate, and they finally removed that as well.

As a new adoptee of the Blue Chip program with Thrifty, I wonder if this is prevalent at other locations.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bmr12
Picked up my wild car at GEG recently with an excellent weekend rate for a wild car. When I arrived at the counter, I went through a lengthy checkout process and first offered the 'opportunity' to buy the whole tank of gas. In fact, it would be automatically added to my bill unless I requested otherwise.

After having that removed, the estimate of the charges for the three day weekend stay were still $20 higher than my confirmation. They'd added another $4.95 per day (plus all of the associated taxes) for a AAA-like Trip Safety package in case I ran out of gas, locked my keys in the car, etc. I explained that I already had AAA at a significantly higher rate, and they finally removed that as well.

As a new adoptee of the Blue Chip program with Thrifty, I wonder if this is prevalent at other locations.
I have not had issues with this in either HNL (2x), KOA or OGG... YMMV. It is always nice to cross check the printout estimate before signing away IMO though to see if there are any erroneous charges added. Also check your blue chip profile online, as these may have been inadvertently checked, and now showing up on the reservations.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS Gold75K, AS Board Room, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I go over to Spokane once every 4-6 weeks and I find it to be one of the most expensive places in the Northwest to rent a car (I am Seattle-based)...good rates are tough to get and the taxes and fees are sky high. I always seem to be able to get a much better deal in Boise or Medford than Spokane. Hotels rates are generally more expensive in Spokane also.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I had the exact same experience as the first OP in Spokane today, only now they are stating that the first tank of gas charge will only be removed when I bring the car back with a full tank; otherwise, it will remain. I was pretty upset about that and it also seems that the amount I was quoted was much less than the amount that will ultimately be charged. I plan to contact Thrifty to lodge a complaint. I think a Blue Chip member should be treated better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.