Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo or Thrifty at MCO?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Alamo or Thrifty at MCO?

the price is close to the same and I'm a Quick Silver (Alamo) and Blue Chip (Thrifty) member.

Which of the two would you choose and why?

Are both of them on airport property? (that would be a deal clencher if one was/one was not!) Besides the price that's why I don't do Hertz anymore either. I don't want to have to mess with off site companies - I hate shuttle busses! LOL

Is one of the two programs a better/easier program (like Emerald club where you book your category and simply walk out to select your car if you checked in online first?)

Alamo res specifies Chevrolet TrailBlazer or similar
Thrifty res specifies Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar

Does anyone know what the respective companies "or similar" are?

Thanks!
Robin
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: DL, LH, SK
Originally Posted by Robin12265
the price is close to the same and I'm a Quick Silver (Alamo) and Blue Chip (Thrifty) member.

Which of the two would you choose and why?

Are both of them on airport property? (that would be a deal clencher if one was/one was not!) Besides the price that's why I don't do Hertz anymore either. I don't want to have to mess with off site companies - I hate shuttle busses! LOL

Is one of the two programs a better/easier program (like Emerald club where you book your category and simply walk out to select your car if you checked in online first?)

Alamo res specifies Chevrolet TrailBlazer or similar
Thrifty res specifies Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar

Does anyone know what the respective companies "or similar" are?

Thanks!
Robin
Both are on-site (and to let you know, Hertz will soon be as well, they are finishing up construction). I rent almost always from Thrifty at MCO, have never faced a line, have never had any troubles with excessive fees, etc. Car return is a breeze, and the one time I had to switch out a car because there was a nail in the tire, they did so with no questions asked and upgraded me as well.

Honestly, I have never rented from Alamo, so I can't help you there.

Last edited by OrlNative; Jan 15, 2010 at 3:37 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:09 am

I would go for Alamo.

I have experienced Thrifty, they are very expensive. Alamo has good customer care and okay prices.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:06 am
Suspended

I was lucky here i never had any troubles with excessive fees,great service
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm renting from Thrifty at MCO at the end of the month. My price just went down because I found the Orlando Magicard website - really good prices.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
A belated reply to this thread:

Alamo QuickSilver and Thrifty Blue Chip are similar programs. Both speed up your rental process. However, I would give the slight edge to Blue Chip for three reasons:

1) Blue Chip rentals are actually processed ahead of time, so the paperwork should already be processed when you walk up to the rental counter (usually a separate line/counter with presumably a shorter line), leaving you to only sign and go. (The policy is to have you in and out in under 60 seconds.)
2) Blue Chip has its own loyalty program, Blue Chip Rewards, which you can redeem for free rental days. QuickSilver does not, although both allow you to specify airline loyalty programs.
3) Blue Chip offers a satisfaction guarantee. If for some reason you aren't completely satisfied with your experience, mention the Blue Chip Guarantee to a CSR (or contact Customer Care after your rental) and you will be refunded one day's rental charges. This could be anything from your rental not being pre-done and taking longer than 60 seconds to a dirty car to whatever.

I haven't rented with QuickSilver from a major airport, but it is possible that at larger locations, QuickSilver functions like a mini-Emerald Club in that you can go straight to your car and show your driver's license at the exit kiosk. I'm not fully clear on that, though, but if it's true, then that does give QuickSilver a bit more of an edge.

As for Thrifty being more expensive than Alamo--well, check it on a case-by-case basis, as rental prices can vary dramatically.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Just got back from MCO, rented from Thrifty (my agency of choice, although I also use Alamo if the prices are better).

Arrived very late (11:30 pm), Thrifty counter unmanned but next door Dollar said she was handling both, and to get into the (very long) line - asked about Blue Chip or DE (I'm both), and was therefore next in line, could feel the daggers from those in the long line (in most cases you go straight to the garage so you don't have to deal with the "cutting" in line, here you had to stand at the inside ticket counter).

Car was fine, service was fine...they have a new policy of having to produce a gas receipt from a station within 10 miles of the airport, and it was STRESSED that it would be enforced, so we had to do some dipsying around to fulfill that, and when we brought the car back they never even asked for the receipt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.