Honolulu Not The Best Place To Rent

Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:51 pm
oc1
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K.
Honolulu Not The Best Place To Rent

1. It's not at the airport (while others are directly across the road from baggage). This was the biggest annoyance.

2. The cars seem to suck there (certainly the one I got). I got a Dodge POS. The engine light came on during the rental, the brakes were very worn and borderline dangerous, and steering was very loose.

3. They have the wonderful timeshare sales lady when you leave. They are not allowed to talk to you when you are lining up waiting, but after the long wait (the staff were really slow), the last thing I wanted to do was talk timeshare with someone.

4. The cost was very cheap. Week before Christmas was $144 plus tax. I checked the week before at Budget (where I normally rent), and the cost there was $400+.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA, Marriott PLT, Starwood
At HNL:

I too got a good rate - $137 plus tax for a week - I think $169 or so total. But surprised to find out only I can drive the car; my husband can't also drive without another $12 a day......there went the savings. Okay, I'll do the driving, but we normally share it. I took this offer via the United Airline car rental promotion page, to get 1000 miles for booking there, so it had to stay in my name for me to get the miles.

I just never thought to check the fine print since at Budget, our regular company, not a problem for spouses to drive free.

The car has 35000 miles and the rubber lining where the trunk closes is falling off - otherwise okay. Lesson learned maybe, or, just get along for a week and read the T&C more closely in the future.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've gotten decent deals there, but it is a bit of a shuttle drive... and kinda odd to find the location under H1

But not impossible!

The vehicles seemed to be very high mileage with issues with wear & tear...

Didn't realize the other locations were right at the airport... interesting- wonder why Thrifty was off site?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:17 pm

Last January I rented a car from there for about 5 hours, long stopover in HNL. And I thought it was very good, very cheap the car, the only bad thing is the location. It may take a while to find the shuttle and then take it but ... it was still good. Very good service also.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
I just returned from HNL and a successful use of the airport Thrifty location. My car had about 5,600 miles, was clean and free of dings. Service was quick and the shuttle was about as good as any of the others there. All in all it was a pretty good experience.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
What's a Dodge POS? I seem to remember that they are hard to find on the return but I didn't have no problems.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, DL MM
Wow. I have had nothing but good experiences with the HNL station...and I have visited HNL more than 8 times in the last two years on a project there.

Are you a Blue Chip?

I was upgraded from a full size to a Chrysler 300 hemi once even. And my rates were super cheap!

I guess YMMV...

~k

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.