Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai News & Open Discussion Lounge Thread [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 1:26 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Thai News & Open Discussion Lounge Thread [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

The time has come to start this thread here to be modeled after FT Continental's The Penalty Box.

The Thailand Forum seems cluttered with often political, social or other non-travel related threads (I myself plead guilty for some of them). Here on this new thread (Thailand News & Discussion) as a sticky, where all the news of interest about Thailand (including opinions but within the boundaries of FT Guidelines & Rules) could be managed, and new threads would be merged with. At least this way, if there are any problems, they'd be isolated to only one thread on this board.

This is also to avoid conflict between the various factions. In the past, threads with such conflicts have deteriorated badly.

With hopefully the mods' blessings, I call upon all members to participate! Or, at a minimum, please tell us what do you think!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 1, 2014 at 7:07 pm Reason: Archived, spun off new thread for 2014-forward
Old May 7, 2009, 3:17 pm

Surge in suspicious deaths on and around Phi Phi Island

Seems that 3 people have died on Phi Phi island at the same Guest House the first on April 1 (man) followed by 2 women this past weekend who died within a day of each other.Couple this with a western man found floating in the water near Phi Phi and a women found strangled on the beach at Krabi which is the jumping off point to Phi Phi as well as the other islands off the Thai coast.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I hope they get to the bottom of this soon. Two conflicting reports about the deaths. Phuket website states that it was not poisining while one of the victims family blog says otherwise.

RIP

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=7321

http://jillstonge.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Kalboz; May 11, 2009 at 12:07 am
Old May 13, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I hope they get to the bottom of this soon.
I agree. I met some of the nicest, most friendly and genuine people ever in Thailand March of 08. But I did run into a few seedy characters in Phuket. I was warned several times of locals attempting to take advantage of and rob foreigners, with reports of violence if you tried to resist. Some would come up behind tourists on scooters and snatch their bags with others in tow to run you off the road if you tried to follow the thief. If this is foul play, getting to the bottom of it should (I hope) help to deter others in the future.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Makes me wonder if someone isn't trying to sabotage the Thailand travel industry. It was my understanding (I could be wrong) that this area of Thailand was actually holding up fairly well but now this.....
Old May 30, 2009, 2:14 pm

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
The time has come to start this thread here to be modeled after FT Continental's http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...nalty-box.html.

The Thailand Forum seems cluttered with often political, social or other non-travel related threads (I myself plead guilty for some of them). Here on this new thread (Thailand News & Discussion) as a sticky, where all the news of interest about Thailand (including opinions but within the boundaries of FT Guidelines & Rules) could be managed, and new threads would be merged with. At least this way, if there are any problems, they'd be isolated to only one thread on this board.

This is also to avoid conflict between the various factions. In the past, threads with such conflicts have deteriorated badly.

With hopefully the mods' blessings, I call upon all members to participate! Or, at a minimum, please tell us what do you think!

PS: The mods may edit this post as they see fit.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.....I hope so...if not please move it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ths/index.html

CNN Asia reports that the tissue samples are now gone.........please read the story as it relates to this tourist to Thailand.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Superjumbo makes 1st commercial flight to Bangkok

5/31/2009, 5:35 a.m. EDT
The Associated Press

(AP) — BANGKOK - Emirates, the world's top buyer of the Airbus A380 superjumbo, is expanding its service into Asia with the aircraft's first commercial flight to Bangkok on Monday, an airport official said.

An A380 jet, the world's largest passenger airliner, was to set down at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport with nearly 500 passengers from Dubai.

The longest luggage conveyer built will be used, along with four boarding gates, 13 check-in counters and an extra-large departure area to handle the flight, said Serirat Prasutanont, the airport's director.

Serirat said that beginning Monday, the Dubai-based carrier will operate daily A380 flights between Dubai and the Thai capital

Read more: http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ss...new_topstories
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Mae Salong: from army camp to tourist town

An interesting article (with a bit of history) from April 09, the Independent:

As the Thai people celebrate their new year, one hill village has another, more curious date to mark – the 60th anniversary of Mao taking charge in China. Andrew Spooner explains

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...n-1667396.html
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:55 am

These days, Mae Salong is like an authentic slice of Yunnan China deposited high in the hills of Thailand.
I was in Mae Salong recently and I've gotta call bull pucky on this -- it's 90% a normal Thai podunk town these days. The remaining 10% is fairly interesting, but you have to dig around a bit to find it...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...g-qv-fd-2.html

A winter visit after the rainy season might be nicer though, the early April heat and haze when I was there was fairly unpleasant.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Dangerous Invisible Rip Currents

Reports suggest a 12-year-old Thai girl, a 31-year-old Thai woman and a 43-year-old French tourist drowned at nearby beaches the same weekend, and an Australian family were rescued days earlier.

Thai media said that the beach patrols normally organised by Phuket authorities had been suspended due to lack of funding, and no permanent signs warning holidaymakers about the dangers had been put up in case tourists were scared off.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20...ns_in_thailand
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Reports suggest a 12-year-old Thai girl, a 31-year-old Thai woman and a 43-year-old French tourist drowned at nearby beaches the same weekend, and an Australian family were rescued days earlier.

Thai media said that the beach patrols normally organised by Phuket authorities had been suspended due to lack of funding, and no permanent signs warning holidaymakers about the dangers had been put up in case tourists were scared off.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/20...ns_in_thailand
There were four drownings in total, including a young British man.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-...-guests-11233/
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:39 am
Original Poster

BANG LAMPHU - KHAO SAN - PHRA ATHIT: Metropolitan melting pot

By: Story and photos CHIRAYU NA RANONG
Published: 18/06/2009 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: Horizons

After Rattanakosin Island, site of the Grand Palace, Bang Lamphu, a short stroll to the north, has got to be the most frequented neighbourhood in town - and not just by tourists, either. Its allure is due in large part to a single street: the world-famous Khao San Road. For, love it or hate it, this strip is undeniably one of the liveliest parts of Bangkok with a diverse, constantly rotating cast of characters arriving daily from all corners of the globe.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/tr...an-melting-pot
Old Jun 21, 2009, 7:05 am
Original Poster

A recent article that might be of interest to some: Why You Should Visit & Why You Should Live Here http://www.askmen.com/fine_living/de...n/bangkok.html
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:45 pm

Here's a Time Magazine article

Last edited by seanthepilot; Jun 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Phuket braces for US invasion!

PHUKET CITY: Phuket’s tourism economy will get a much needed boost this week with the arrival of six US Navy ships with a complement of over 5,700 sailors and other military personnel.

Already moored at the Phuket Deep Sea Port since June 17 is the USS Mitscher with its crew of 281.

A group of USS Mitscher sailors yesterday took a bus up to Phang Nga to put a fresh coat of paint on the Home & Life orphanage for children who lost their parents in the 2004 tsunami disaster.

The event was organized by the good folks of the Rotary Club of Patong Beach.

The USS Mitscher is scheduled to ship out tomorrow, but five more US warships are expected to arrive on Thursday for some much needed rest and relaxation. They are:

The amphibious assault ship USS Boxer, with its crew of 2,982.

The USS Comstock dock landing ship, with its its crew of 857. The Comstock is the first US Navy combat ship to have a fully integrated crew of male and female sailors.

The USS Gridley destroyer and its crew of 380.

The USS Thatch guided missile destroyer, with its crew of 217.

The 208-meter USS New Orleans amphibious transport vessel and its crew of 1,059.

Unless duty calls, all five vessels will remain in Phuket until June 29 or 30.

The Rotary Club is busy making preparations for crews of the other ships to carry out community relations projects.

It has already been confirmed that members of the USS New Orleans crew will take part in activities at the Barnhem Muang Mai Thai-Swedish Foundation orphanage in Mai Khao and at the Bang Klong Sai School in Phang Nga on June 27.

Bar owners in Patong and other parts of the island are also mobilizing their own troops to greet the sailors, well informed sources have told the Gazette.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.