Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yeah, that's unlikely to happen given Forex is a money-maker for banks.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Yeah, that's unlikely to happen given Forex is a money-maker for banks.
Quite true; however, I have been to Countries where there is an option between USD and the local currency.

ofcourse, these ATMs are just found in high volume tourist areas.

i sure dislike the 220 baht fee but still prefer it to the risk of entering the country with large sums of USD.
braslvr likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by arcticflier
Not at ATMs.

Here is a link that will provide the exchange rate being offered by each Bank:

Bank foreign currency exchange rates - Compare currency exchange rates across banks
You're wrong. Your link shows the rates the bank offer when you use their services like exchanging over the counter. The ATM network uses the exchange rate set by Mastercard, Visa etc depending on the card being used, which is usually much better than the banks.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by ft101
You're wrong. Your link shows the rates the bank offer when you use their services like exchanging over the counter. The ATM network uses the exchange rate set by Mastercard, Visa etc depending on the card being used, which is usually much better than the banks.
Nope you are wrong.
You simply needed to read thoroughly.

Bank foreign currency exchange rates - Compare currency exchange rates across banks

and here:

https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
"The exchange rate for international purchases and foreign ATM transactions is set by Visa® or MasterCard®, depending on your card's logo. This exchange rate is either the wholesale market rate or a government-mandated rate on the day before the date the transaction is processed. The processing date may differ from the date of the transaction."

https://www.bankofamerica.com/foreig...e-rates-faq.go
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
My data points come from monthly travel to Asia over the last 15+ years using Visa, Mastercard and in the last 1 year, Amex.

1) Previous poster said Citibank's ATM rates were good compared with Chase Visa cc. The difference is because both are using different networks, Mastercard vs Visa. Rates are set differently. Not because Citibank has a better rate than Chase.

2) Your first link to forex rates are for cash or bank transactions, not ATM

3) The 2nd link (Visa) shows Visa actually beating the best cash rates 31.40 vs 31.33 (SIA) on Jan 30. However, because Visa calculates their rates daily, sometimes a spot cash rate, particularly if the rate fluctuates widely, might be marginally better. In some countries e.g. Vietnam, the spot cash rate appears always better for pristine 100USD notes.

For ATM, it is the interchange network (Cirrus MC, Plus Visa, UnionPay etc) rate + the (source of funds) bank % cut (if any, e.g. Schwab is zero) + the transacting bank's ATM access fee if any (Thailand: 150B or 220B). In the last one year, I've done around 20+ transactions in 7 Asian countries - all have followed this formula exactly.
Diplomatico and :D! like this.

Last edited by tide; Jan 30, 2019 at 8:17 am Reason: formatting
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:52 pm

Nope you are wrong.

Some ATMs do the equivalent of DCC, and ask you if you want them to do the conversion. If you accept that, then you get hit by the banks rates which are always going to be less favorable than the Visa/MC network rates. So nobody ever does that more than once, perhaps by accident.

Since you are intelligent and know not to accept DCC no matter how it's worded at the ATM, then the network (Visa, MC, etc) does the exchange using reasonable rates.

As far as the ATM fees, simply use a debit card from an account like the Schwab One account (or Fidelity CMA and others) that rebate all ATM fees. These accounts are trivial to open, have no hard credit pulls for the debit cards and have low or no minimum balances. Then there's no need to worry about any of this.

-David
arcticflier likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, I always specify transactions should be conducted in local currency (both ATM/CC) because letting someone else do the conversion usually gets crap-rates.

One time, many years ago, I absentmindedly agreed to let a Marriott hotel do the currency conversion to USD. I paid about 2% extra.

These days I carry enough USD as backup because sometimes the bank decides to lock my ATM despite travel notice. But I generally shift to ATM now that I have a global-reimbursement account via CitiGold.

I try to withdraw large sums to prevent the Thai banks from getting multiple fees, but honestly 150bht vs. 220bht is largely irrelevant when Citibank pays it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:51 am

Your links do not prove your case as has been explained and now backed up by many other posters. For ATM withdrawals, the rate is set by Visa, Mastercard etc. unless DCC is selected, which won't happen to anyone on here I hope.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Plato90s
Yes, I always specify transactions should be conducted in local currency (both ATM/CC) because letting someone else do the conversion usually gets crap-rates.

One time, many years ago, I absentmindedly agreed to let a Marriott hotel do the currency conversion to USD. I paid about 2% extra.

These days I carry enough USD as backup because sometimes the bank decides to lock my ATM despite travel notice. But I generally shift to ATM now that I have a global-reimbursement account via CitiGold.

I try to withdraw large sums to prevent the Thai banks from getting multiple fees, but honestly 150bht vs. 220bht is largely irrelevant when Citibank pays it.
For the first time that I can recall, the local currency rate quoted me at Marriott in SJO was actually greater than my USD rate for my CC purchase.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:15 pm

For the first time that I can recall, the local currency rate quoted me at Marriott in SJO was actually greater than my USD rate for my CC purchase.
Unbelievable.

-David
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Unbelievable.

-David
Humorous response.

Since the USD rate was exactly what the Marriott App price had quoted in my reservation, I accepted the $ rate; however, the Colone rate was about 5% higher.

Once you have spent a bit of time in CR then you grow accustomed to such things.

Never take anything for granted in CR...especially the assumption your money is still in your pocket. Lol

Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Your links do not prove your case as has been explained and now backed up by many other posters. For ATM withdrawals, the rate is set by Visa, Mastercard etc. unless DCC is selected, which won't happen to anyone on here I hope.
Since this really appears to be of much greater concern to yourself than me, I will take a few moments to explore possibilities for the discrepancy.
How many of you rely on ATM withdrawals using Bank Debit cards from a US Financial Institution and check the actual conversion rate provided by the ATM against the rate posted in your statement?

thanks
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:39 pm

But how did it compare to the rate in the currency app or xe.com for that day? Presumably you didn't make the reservation that day.

I think it's always better to decline DCC.

As far as the ATM, the ATM doesn't do any conversion as long as you opt out of DCC. The debit is done in local currency and converted by the network/US bank. Once you get home you can calculate the rates from your statement using calculators and historical exchange data on xe.com.

-David
arcticflier likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 2, 2019 at 5:45 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
But how did it compare to the rate in the currency app or xe.com for that day? Presumably you didn't make the reservation that day.

I think it's always better to decline DCC.

As far as the ATM, the ATM doesn't do any conversion as long as you opt out of DCC. The debit is done in local currency and converted by the network/US bank.

-David
Good question David.
The reservation had been made one day previous. The colone had remained quite stable during my trip. It was a last minute mileage run.

My first response was to accept local currency but then asked her to wait while I quickly typed the amount into my XE Currency Pro App for iOS.

Now I wish I documented by snapping a quick photo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.