Search

City Lodge on Sukhumvit 19 or Ambassador Hotel in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Gold Points Platinum
City Lodge on Sukhumvit 19 or Ambassador Hotel in BKK

Hello folks:

I am wondering if anybody has stayed either at the City Lodge by Amri or the Ambassador in BKK. Would love to hear back from you. Would also like to find out other recommendations too for around $50-75 for one night only.

Thanks and looking forward to your responses.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Personally, I think that the City Lodge is much nicer than the Ambassador. But do you have any specific reasons you are going? Is proximity to nightlife important? A couple of other places I can strongly recommend in that price range, in the same general area as the City Lodge, is the CitiChic hotel on Soi 13. And the Grottino residence on Soi 19.

http://www.citichichotel.com/index.html

http://www.grottino.com/default.aspx

I would say that among these, the Ambassador would be a distant fourth choice. The CitiChic is the most full service (it has a pool and fitness room, the others don't) but probably also costs the most.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; Mar 31, 2009 at 5:57 pm
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Location-wise, City Lodge on Suk 19 is much preferable to Ambassador hotel because of its proximity to BTS and MRT.
I don't like, however, City Lodge as it's right next to construction zone right now.

Citadines is within OP's pricerange and is nicer than Ambassador IMHO.
So is CitiChic, but it's a little more expensive than Citadines.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Gold Points Platinum
Thanks for your reply folks. I will look into your options as recommended. The only reason I chose Sukhumvit Soi 19 was its proximity to the sky train as I would like to make the maximum use of my time in Bangkok.

Looking forward to getting more recommendations from fellow FTers as always.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Manhattan Hotel Soi 15

Not fancy but acceptable to my wife.........

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:23 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Hotrod
Hello folks:

I am wondering if anybody has stayed ... the Ambassador in BKK. Would love to hear back from you. Would also like to find out other recommendations too for around $50-75 for one night only.
Stay clear of the 3-star Ambassador Hotel on Suk 11, tower or otherwise! Not only this place is a dump (they charge 35 Baht for room service), you will fined a 1000 Baht for bringing un-registered visitors into your room even if the visitor is your mother. Also, their breakfast time is like a south Asian/Middle-eastern RIOT!!! I am sure I will get some flack for making such a remark, but that's exactly how I experienced it when I stayed there in March 2008 for 3 nights. I had to stay there because there were no rooms available at my favorite, the JW Marriott.

Try Le Fenix Sukhumvit on the same Soi. Late check out, free Wi-Fi in room, and free admission to the Q-Bar and Bed Supper Club within your budget:

http://www.latestays.com/le-fenix-sukhumvit/

More discussion about the area here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...a-hotel-2.html

Last edited by Kalboz; Apr 1, 2009 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I enjoyed the Majestic Grande and have heard the sister property with smaller rooms and much cheaper Majestic Suites is nice. Right across from JW Marriot, around the corner from Skytrain Ploenchit stop.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I agree with others. I lived in BKK 04-07 in Soi 8, and had friends stay around the place (when not with us).

Ambassador on Soi 11 is a poor choice IMHO. I visited recently (2 weeks ago) and stayed in Citichic on Soi 13 for THB 2300 per night. Big rooms, 37" lCD, modern, free internet. A way into soi 13, but there is a tuktuk or motocycle taxis (or regular taxis).

Citidines Soi 11 is probably slightly better placed, and cheaper too - but rooms smaller. Adelphi on Soi 8 is very nice, but probably a step up in cost.

Majestic Grande is nice, but Maj Suite rooms very small (clean and tidy) - also on Sukhumvit road, so tough for taxis, and popular with those with short term girlfriends..... Cititchic is a 3rd property in the group, but quieter.

Have also stayed at City Lodge at Soi 19 - adequate, and handy to BTS/MRT. Not a repeat choice for me though....

Many deals at present...

Try wotif.com - I used this Australian travel company with great reliability (I don't work for them....)

Cheers, TK

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 4, 2009 at 3:20 am
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hotrod
Hello folks:

I am wondering if anybody has stayed either at the City Lodge by Amri or the Ambassador in BKK. Would love to hear back from you. Would also like to find out other recommendations too for around $50-75 for one night only.

Thanks and looking forward to your responses.
For only one night this place won't kill you. All rooms have air, hot water of course, cable TV, safety box, private toilet but it is a no star. All you can eat breakfast buffet available. Short walk to the Nana Skytrain. Foodland Supermarket nearby. (I eat here every now and then when I want to pig out for a change. Buffet is open for walk-ins.)
Fortuna Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 5.
http://www.fortunabangkok.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.