Community
Wiki Posts
Search

**2008**BKK closed by anti-government protesters & ongoing discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm in BKK now, and the trouble appears to be over. The red shirts have disbanded except for one group of around 400 which apparently is quite well surrounded by government forces.

I just had dinner with some friends, one of whom is Thai. During dinner, a special report came on the TV. It was a press conference held at the hospital by a military spokesman and two doctors. As my Thai friend was translating, the gist of the story was that the deaths of two people from the rioting were greatly exaggerated, -- they are still alive, though seriously wounded. Not only were they shown in the TV in their hospital beds, but a detailed medical report was given, including shots of x-ray films, wounds, etc. (Apparently they don't have HIPAA here.)

Additionally, they presented a ballistics analysis of the bullets and wounds, probably with the intent of showing who fired the shots, or whether they were fired from a military weapon. Didn't get the details, because by this time we had gone back to enjoying dinner.

I'm staying at the end of Suk Soi 11. Sukhumvit is pretty much deserted, but it's difficult to know if that's because of the unrest or Songkran. I suppose we'll see tomorrow, now that the protests are essentially over. It will also be interesting to see if the malls reopen, -- I understand that they are usually open during Songkran, but have been closed for the past few days. Siam Paragon was the site of a fairly large protest action as the Royal Thai Police Headquarters is right nearby.

I must say, though, that even at the height of the protests over the past few days, there was not even an increased police presence in the Sukhumvit area. let alone any protesters. The only things out of the ordinary were store and restaurant closures and lack of traffic.

Bottom line? Don't cancel any plans to come to Thailand. The red shirt thugs are a very small minority, and the local ciitzens really hate what they are doing to the country. In some neighborhoods, senior police officials have held meetings with the local residents to persuade them not to try to deal with the protesters themselves. In one residential neighborhood, for example, the thugs drove a gas truck into the neighborhood intending to set it afire. The local residents reacted so strongly and quickly that the thugs abondoned the idea and ran.

On a slightly different topic, had a very pleasant dinner with yosithezet the other night at an outdoor café on Sukhumvit. Anyone else around?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by MilesDependent

Separately, I agree with the red shirts. Thaksin was voted in fair & square. The military kicked him out in 06. Thaksin #2 (whatever his name was) was then voted in fair & square. He was then "removed" and replaced with the opposition (yellow shirt) last November. That doesn't seem right to me. Even though, I sympathise with the yellows, that the reds are a bunch of rural country bumkins who don't know sh!t from clay and shouldn't be entrusted with the vote. But, hey, sorry yellows, that's democracy for you! As Mr Churchill once said, democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried (or something like that).
+1 less the disenfranchisement remark but didn't want to edit your full context.

That said, I'm glad things have settled down for the moment as I am heading over next week. Will be in Bangkok only.

Thanks to all who have kept me updated.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:00 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm in BKK now ...

I just had dinner with some friends, one of whom is Thai.

On a slightly different topic, had a very pleasant dinner with yosithezet the other night at an outdoor café on Sukhumvit. Anyone else around?
Now the troubles are over ... tell us more about those dinners, Doc!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Now the troubles are over ... tell us more about those dinners, Doc!
A friend from home came over here on business a number of years ago and liked it so much that he stayed. Met a professional woman here and ended up marrying her. (No, not that profession. "Profession" as in doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. I don't want to say more because people are entitled to their privacy. I don't think that he knows about FT.)

We went to a small and very informal neighborhood Issan place on a Suk Soi in the low 30s, just a couple of blocks from the Prime Minister's residence. IIRC we were the only westerners. Delicious food. Papaya salad, grilled whole fish, pork and vegetable soup which you cook at the table. While Issan food can be quite spicy, as you undoubtedly know, this was spicy enough that we could both feel and taste it, yet not so spicy that I was uncomfortable. This was my first (but clearly not last) foray into true Issan food.

Met up with yosithezet at the WGS where he was staying. Interesting fellow, that yosithezet. I'm completely jealous of the frequency with which he comes here, though he comes on business and I for holiday. Anyway, had a drink at the WGS executive club, then to one of my regular spots, an Italian place on the SGS side of Sukhumvit, a few blocks towards the lower sois from the SGS. I'm sure that yosithezet can describe the location much better than I. It has an extensive menu, and I've always found the food excellent. I often go in the afternoon, sit in the outdoor seating area adjacent to the sidewalk, have a late lunch and read and people watch. Very pleasant place, which I highly recommend. It's now closed for Songkran.

All in all, I'm having a lovely time here, as usual, despite the current (but temporary, I expect) curtailment of my sightseeing plans.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 14, 2009 at 5:29 pm
Old Apr 15, 2009, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by In2ishn
+1 less the disenfranchisement remark but didn't want to edit your full context.

That said, I'm glad things have settled down for the moment as I am heading over next week. Will be in Bangkok only.

Thanks to all who have kept me updated.
My comments do seem harsh upon re-reading. I've become quite disheartened with politics due to recent elections in Australia and the fact that we have some real doozies in power at the minute, particularly at the state level, but people continue to vote for them

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:28 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Anyway, had a drink at the WGS executive club, then to one of my regular spots, an Italian place on the SGS side of Sukhumvit, a few blocks towards the lower sois from the SGS. I'm sure that yosithezet can describe the location much better than I. It has an extensive menu, and I've always found the food excellent. I often go in the afternoon, sit in the outdoor seating area adjacent to the sidewalk, have a late lunch and read and people watch. Very pleasant place, which I highly recommend. It's now closed for Songkran.
It was a definitely a pleasure to meet Dr. HFH! My only regret is that the Executive Lounge at the WGS wasn't up to par when meeting his drink request. I guess we'll have to try Bar Su next time.

The Italian place was nice. Italian food was the theme for my day. I don't know the name of this particular place but it is in the Korean-owned complex at the corner of Soi 12. This is the same building that houses King & I massage. The restaurant is on the ground floor at the front corner of the building which is closes to Soi 12. I'm not typically looking for western food in Bangkok, other than the occasional burger or pastrami sandwich, but I'd go back to this place in the future.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I guess we'll have to try Bar Su next time.
You're on, but unless you're coming back next week, I won't be here again until late July or early August. Hope to see you now, then or both!!!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:54 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
You're on, but unless you're coming back next week, I won't be here again until late July or early August. Hope to see you now, then or both!!!
Considering I was in BKK about 20 weekends last year I'd say the chances are 40/60. As for this weekend, my eyes alternate between looking at my credit card from the vacation and looking out at the intersections of New Delhi.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW - I was at Phuket for the past week plus, and am in Bangkok now.

Never felt threatened, nor did I run into any unpleasantness. The way that the ASEAN summit ended in a farce was pretty funny, but an acquaintance who was diving (and carousing) in Pattaya during that time said that in the vast majority of the town - business as usual.

Even during the airport blockade, no tourists were harmed or threatened. If you have vacation plans, I'd just purchase travel insurance as usual and go ahead with the visit.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:20 pm

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
Originally Posted by Plato90s
..........but an acquaintance who was diving (and carousing) in Pattaya during that time said that in the vast majority of the town - business as usual.
Pattaya will probably always be business as usual.....even in the middle of a riot or coup, as sex tourists (i.e. the vast majority of visitors to this great city) have completely different needs, wants and goals and the working girls (and guys).....are for the most part completely non political.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now morning here in BKK (BKK is currently eleven hours ahead of eastern time), streets still appear normal. However, apparently I spoke too soon.

Yesterday (Friday) morning, there was an assassination attempt on Sondhi Limthongkul, the leader of the PAD (yellow shirts). It was a classic, just-like-in-the-movies attempt. According this morning's Bangkok Post, a car of gunmen was following his bodyguards' car. The gunmen's car pulled out of line and alongside Sondhi's car and opened fire, spraying Sondhi's car from rear to front with automatic weapons fire, before pulling in front of Sondhi's car and driving off. Sondhi was declared stable following surgery to remove a bullet fragment from his skull. The security cameras which are everywhere were mysteriously "out of order" at the intersection where this took place.

P.M. Abhisit now says that state of emergency will continue. Security for the P.M. has been increased.

And, in a separate but related story, Thaksin has been appointed an "ambassador of Nicaragua on a special mission." The President of Nicaragua confirmed that he had made the appointment, saying that he wanted Thaksin to help attract investment to the country.

That's it from here, back to you in the studio, Chet.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)

And, in a separate but related story, Thaksin has been appointed an "ambassador of Nicaragua on a special mission." The President of Nicaragua confirmed that he had made the appointment, saying that he wanted Thaksin to help attract investment to the country.
Its good to see that corruption is not just a Thai thing ,

I wonder if his new "passport" gives him diplomatic immunity worldwide ?

Its nice to know that money can buy happiness

Rally
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:08 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Exclamation You are in danger, because you are used to think by yourself

The "revolution" of course failed, but the seed is in the soil and will eventually grow to be a big tree one day. Things need time, but history has shown that regimes who need strict censorhip laws will not survive.

The Economist has again been banned in Thailand for the following article: http://www.economist.com/world/asia/...ry_id=13496103 and the Webmaster of the respectable Prachathai news site will probably end up being another political prisoner : http://www.prachatai.net/english/node/1145

As a tourist you are safe in Thailand (as you are in Burma), but you may well end up in jail just for visiting certain websites without Proxy or for making a small remark advocating freedom of speech. Your name will be on the following website: http://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.com/

Tourists may flock back, but investors making some background research will stay away form such a minefield.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.