Community
Wiki Posts
Search

**2008**BKK closed by anti-government protesters & ongoing discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Let's hope for this to be resolved peacefully asap and the very latest by midnight Thai time Thursday.
I think based on what I am hearing here that it is resolved.
However- this is Bangkok- Amazing Thailand
Seriously though it appears a non-event most likely.
Let you know when I drive to the AP tomorrow...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threepoint
The airport was closed for departing flights only. All incoming flights were arriving and being processed as normal.
Most departing flights took off as well without incident.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Has AC ever had any service to BKK? Kind of OT if it hasn't (or is OT anyway as AC doesn't have any current service to BKK).
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by threepoint
The airport was closed for departing flights only. All incoming flights were arriving and being processed as normal.
No UA's flights were cancelled.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Has AC ever had any service to BKK? Kind of OT if it hasn't (or is OT anyway as AC doesn't have any current service to BKK).
Good point.
I responded as I am in Bangkok now, (supposedly) flying out tomorrow, and from here apart from the newspaper it appears to be more a Press thing than a reality. IF there are ACers flying to BKK tomorrow via HKG etc- I would think they will probably get here- the point is that the only carrier that has cancelled their flights right now is DL- everyone else is running- a little late on schedule but running- when I landed today there was a small protest at the airport- but far more police than protesters. My concern is that someone would cancel their vacation or business trip over this- whether their gateway is AC or any carrier including their private jet- the only advisement right now is that things "seem" to be normal apart from the press....
Oh, and we could always talk about how great it was to fly into BKK on the CP 744 via HKG- and how service in the nose was better than anything on offer now But that was the old days...
You are probably right.
There are other threads on FT to follow this on...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Good point.
I responded as I am in Bangkok now, (supposedly) flying out tomorrow, and from here apart from the newspaper it appears to be more a Press thing than a reality. IF there are ACers flying to BKK tomorrow via HKG etc- I would think they will probably get here- the point is that the only carrier that has cancelled their flights right now is DL-
DL doesn't fly to BKK (unless you count NW as part of DL). BA cancelled a SYD flight and a SYD-LHR flight rerouted through SIN instead. NW cancelled on flight (or diverted it to HKG with a long crew rest).

More appropriate to post this in the Thailand forum.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
DL doesn't fly to BKK (unless you count NW as part of DL). BA cancelled a SYD flight and a SYD-LHR flight rerouted through SIN instead. NW cancelled on flight (or diverted it to HKG with a long crew rest).

More appropriate to post this in the Thailand forum.
Agreed completely.
Discussion ongoing on the TG/Thailand forums.
You are right about the NW flight- it has been "coded" in Thailand as a DL flight for about two weeks now- so I advised as to that flight number as that is what shows in the international airport of Bangkok- they seemed eager to merge the two carriers
The BA flight I am not aware of.
Anyway- we'll continue on the other forum.
As a frequent traveller- you know that in Bangkok this type of thing is either more than it seems or less- lets hope for everyone's case less in this case.
Regards,
Travelsig
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
This evenings LH FRA-BKK flight seems to have departed just after 23:00 hours BKK bound, due to arrive at 15:00 on Wednesday local time !

Looks like the airport is / will be open again, based on the assumption that LH would not let a 747 depart otherwise ?

BA9 and BA10 were however cancelled today.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
This evenings LH FRA-BKK flight seems to have departed just after 23:00 hours BKK bound, due to arrive at 15:00 on Wednesday local time !

Looks like the airport is / will be open again, based on the assumption that LH would not let a 747 depart otherwise ?

BA9 and BA10 were however cancelled today.
Headlines of the Bangkok Post report this morning that they are letting carriers arrive:
"Officials said it was up to the airlines whether they would continue to allow their flights to land today".
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:40 pm

Hm, hopefully this will be over soon. Problem with letting flights land is that you soon run out of tarmac space.

Flying SYD-BKK on Sunday, and then connecting to BKK-NBO, could be complete crap.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Headlines of the Bangkok Post report this morning that they are letting carriers arrive:
"Officials said it was up to the airlines whether they would continue to allow their flights to land today".
Well, if they let them land, they will have to let them take off again too. FRA-BKK has a continuation to SGN or KUL (depending on weekday). Turning the airport into a big parking lot is not a solution either ...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Local TV news, as of 05:45 Wednesday local time, is reporting the airport has re-opened and flights are arriving/departing.

If someone (Army, King) doesn't do something soon the situation could easily get out of control. I have seen troop transports, filled with soldiers, moving about the city since Monday of this week. Some are talking about another coup by the weekend possibly with curfews.

Apologies, I misinterpreted the local news report.

The airport at Suvarnabhumi remains closed for all flights. Not sure when it might re-open.

Good luck for those impacted by this event.

Last edited by transpac; Nov 25, 2008 at 4:34 pm
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Very Sad

I was in Bangkok last month when the demonstrations were limited to the parliament area. Didn't affect me at all and I thought this was a wonderful Thai way of protesting. I know friends who worked adjacent to that area who did not think the same, however. (I later learned of the fatalities.)

The latest developments have however revealed the PAD to be nothing but (even greater) thugs as well as being non-democratic... I fear this situation is getting out-of-hand. For the royal family to allow this to happen with their apparent de facto approval is shocking. The term "yellow shirt" will gather an all together new meaning...

Good luck to all FTers in Bangkok.

Last edited by Braniff; Nov 25, 2008 at 4:15 pm
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
3 explosions at the Airport, anyone else heard about this?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/new...htm?tab=latest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.