FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Opinions on where to go in Thailand (or PI) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/817590-opinions-where-go-thailand-pi.html)

KosraeTV Apr 27, 2008 3:57 am

Opinions on where to go in Thailand (or PI)

OK, I'm gonna be stationed in Bangkok for two months. I go there every other month anyways and I've been to Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Phuket and many other places.

I want to take someone to a nice area, beach resort maybe type place but nothing too fancy, nothing too touristy etc... We are not disco folks (yes once in a while we go to CM2 or Spice Club or such in BKK), we are not shopping folks (sure we'll hit a market now and then), we do bike over 30 miles a day when we can but we already scheduled a biking tour of Thailand, etc... We already will be going to Lao and Sisaket and other places so I'm leaning more towards beach for a weekend or during week get away. I like to hit Chonburi Nong Nooch Gardens and Khao Kheow Zoo (spelling) for get aways as it is but want something different as we will do that anyways.

Would prefer to fly and not bus or train or car it... I know Phuket and it is for tourists IMHO but am not totally against going near that area again if I find the right spot. Where I have been was... well let's say it was for single guys mainly and that's the not the reason we would be hitting these areas. I speak a little thai and my friend speaks it fluently.

Any and all opinions would be welcomed... resorts... areas... etc.... My other choice is to head off to Philippines for a weekend and am leaning that way too. Gonna post this same thing in asia almost so if anyone has anything from PI let me know. I am in Manila every other month also and know manila but don't want to go there, want to head out and not really into Cebu either...

We are islanders so heat won't bother us and rain will screw up our sun but we're tan already so no big issue but is a consideration.

Or would Singapore be OK???

moocherx Apr 27, 2008 4:43 am

Beach resort - nothing too fancy or touristy - would be Hua Hin (which you can fly to, if you really want to) or nearby Cha-am, or Koh Chang or Koh Samet. The southern islands are pretty much for the foreign tourists as you know.

Thalassa Apr 27, 2008 11:01 am

It is not a beach resort, but the Anantara Golden Triangle might fit the bill for you. The resort is very nice, but the main attraction is the elephant centre next to the resort where you can go for a mahout training course. The three-day mahout training I took with my wife two years ago was one of the absolutely best travel experiences we have ever had (and we've had quite a few). In addition to frolicking the eles, you can go biking, meet the hill tribes, or go visit Myanmar and Laos.

Highly recommended, check it out here!

Here is a shot of us playing with the ladies ;-)

Cheers,
T.

KosraeTV Apr 27, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks.... Should have mentioned... been to Laos so many times it isn't funny, work and vacation. Same with Vietnam. Burma... little bit. Yes I do know the souther islands are all tourist traps and not wanting that at all. We want to be relaxed, taken care of, no cares in the world etc.... forgetting BKK and work. If it is a 3,000 baht place or an 800 baht place it not matter but we're not looking for a chain hotel mass market get in and get out type place.

I was kind of looking Ko Phayam, Ko Rawi.. You were talking Ko Chang near Ranong right ??? I know we could not fly to all those places but I meant fly near there then bus / pick up / water taxi / ferry / sea plane or such over. Or even if we go Songkhla or Surat Thani or Nakhon Si Thammarat etc...... Heck I've not been to Koh Thmei. So I'd stay the Gulf and not the Ocean if it is was peaceful and easy to get in and out of.

Any personal recommendation on resorts in the places you named, or any you've heard from associates that were acceptable?

As far as elephant's goes.... my friend has a deep fear of them.... yeah kind of funny but if my friend sees one in the street will turn and walk away.... Really takes the fun out of elephant rides at Nong Nooch Gardens and up in the northern and north east :p

GadgetFreak Apr 27, 2008 11:50 am

Well, it isnt a beach resort but you might consider Siem Reap. What made me think of it is the cycling. You can rent bikes and ride around. It is an incredible place due to the temples at Angkor Wat. One of the absolutely most interesting places I have ever been. Another place that is on the water is Halong Bay. You can get on a boat and cruise around the bay. It is really beautiful.

moocherx Apr 27, 2008 12:20 pm

If cost isn't an issue, I've always found Chiva Som at Cha Am a real haven.

But my tastes are different to most (I like peace and quiet, away from it all, while everyone else I know loves Pattaya?!?!?!)

ww.chivasom.com

KosraeTV Apr 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by moocherx (Post 9640082)
If cost isn't an issue, I've always found Chiva Som at Cha Am a real haven.

But my tastes are different to most (I like peace and quiet, away from it all, while everyone else I know loves Pattaya?!?!?!)

ww.chivasom.com

Thank you..... I enjoy a boutique hotel and meal at a steak house on Suk Soi 33 but that is as far as we get.... going to Pattaya.... you couldn't pay me to go there. Went there one time, lasted one night and we went to Chonburi, and the way Pattaya is, well that's one of the reasons I dislike Phuket. Since we spend so much time up country... and not wanting to go up country.... looking for something a little different then our norm. So hard to put into words I guess and all my searches are coming up with the typical tourist crap.

Even Krabi is a little too much disco / night / party. We can always do that in BKK when we want to, no need to travel for it on our time off.

UncleDude Apr 27, 2008 12:33 pm

Koh Samet..good Tollway/Freeway now from Bangkok to Rayong just over 2 hours.

http://www.samedresorts.com/home/home.htm

KosraeTV Apr 27, 2008 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 9640126)
Koh Samet..good Tollway/Freeway now from Bangkok to Rayong just over 2 hours.

http://www.samedresorts.com/home/home.htm

Keep em coming folks..... ^

UAL Traveler Apr 27, 2008 8:37 pm

I've always enjoyed the Rayong Resort. It is very secluded, tranquil, with Thai sensibilities. Typically, the guest mix is Thai and western European with a few scattered Americans. Koh Samet is readily visible from the hotel, with easy transfers if desired. My recommendation is the deluxe suite in the main wing.

moocherx Apr 29, 2008 11:03 am

Originally Posted by KosraeTV (Post 9640107)
Thank you..... I enjoy a boutique hotel and meal at a steak house on Suk Soi 33 but that is as far as we get.

Livingstones, I presume.

I live a hundred or so metres down the same soi, and good friends with the chef. ^

KosraeTV Apr 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by moocherx (Post 9650827)
Livingstones, I presume.

I live a hundred or so metres down the same soi, and good friends with the chef. ^

Then I know your apartment / condo area.... yes it is LL... and I know the owner very well. I"m off Soi 22 now (when I am there). I've stayed all over BKK but now am settling down more.

We can meet at LL for a beer. On the owner's account of course :D PM me but I won't be back for a while... July and August most likely for two months... but I stop in for short visits here and there also.

JTPictureman May 2, 2008 9:12 pm

If you lean towards the Philippines check out Sabang Beach and Puerto Gallera. definitely not first class but I always enjoyed myself. It is though a bus and ferry ride from Manila, not an air ride.

In Phuket get out to Phi Phi or the Similans if you can, a lot more laid back.