Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:26 am

Hi,

How is the Anantara Layan Phuket resort?

Good for kids?
And does it have a great beach? (I consider the The Surin's beach a great beach - in front we loved the resort but it wasn't the best for kids).

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goldwannabe
Hi,

How is the Anantara Layan Phuket resort?

Good for kids?
And does it have a great beach? (I consider the The Surin's beach a great beach - in front we loved the resort but it wasn't the best for kids).

Thanks!
It is very nice - though set on a hill, it does have a beachfront too. Compared to The Surin, it should be good
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:38 am

Any thoughts on Naka Island Resort? Reviews say that the beach isn't great. Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goldwannabe
Any thoughts on Naka Island Resort? Reviews say that the beach isn't great. Thanks
There are two similarly named ones - do you mean the one that is part of the Luxury Collection?
If so, we stayed once and were not impressed with the quality of especially the soft product (incl. the fact that sparkling wine was served in super cheap blue, non-see-through, plastic immitation, "Chandon"-branded "glasses" where the base kept falling off.. I would not go back as it was about as far a cry from "luxury" as the name implies.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:46 pm

Due to what's happening in Oekraïne we decided we do not wish to travel Aman (or any other Russian owned hotels) anymore.
We booked 6 nights Amanpuri at the end of August and are looking to rebook to another property that is similar (small, luxury, good and personal authentic service, child friendly).

We do have 2 options:

option 1:
- fly from Chiang Mai to Koh Samui
- stay 4 nights at FS Koh Samui
- drive to Khao sok and stay 2 nights at Panvaree the Greenery
- drive to Phuket and stay 5 nights at The Surin or Anantara
- flight back home from Phuket to Europe

option 2:
- fly from Chiang Mai to Krabi
- stay 3 nights at Rayavadee
- drive to Phuket and stay 6 nights at The Surin or Anantara

We don't have any experience driving larger distances in this area so we don't know if option 1 is still comfortable, however we do like the idea of being in Koh Samui where the monsoon seems to be less present in August as dsquared37 mentions.
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Koen dc
option 1:
- fly from Chiang Mai to Koh Samui
- stay 4 nights at FS Koh Samui
- drive to Phuket and stay 5 nights at The Surin or Anantara
What is your plan on getting from Samui to Khao Sok? - fly to HKT and drive ?

Weather-wise, I would say Samui should be the better choice at that time of year (saying "should" as weather patterns change), so probably a good option.
Having not been to Khao Sok myself, I cannot comment on the road conditions and the drive there, sadly - it does look like a bit of a trek though.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:18 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Looking to rent a standard car. Preferably pick up near Old Town and drop off at HKT airport. Can anyone give me a car rental recommendation? Thank you.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Quick airport question for anyone who's been through HKT recently... Is there still a bureau de change / money changer just after immigration?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kt74
Quick airport question for anyone who's been through HKT recently... Is there still a bureau de change / money changer just after immigration?
There was in November, but using an ATM card at a machine will result in a far, far better deal.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Indigo?

I am booked at the Indigo Phuket Patong in April. The reviews were very good but I am concerned that it is too far from the beach and nightlife. I know those are not within walking distance but will tuk-tuks be too expensive and eat up any location based savings?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I am booked at the Indigo Phuket Patong in April. The reviews were very good but I am concerned that it is too far from the beach and nightlife. I know those are not within walking distance but will tuk-tuks be too expensive and eat up any location based savings?
still walkable to the beach or Bangla
if you are concerned about the tuktuk mafia overcharging you, use Bolt or Grab
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Is there any place in Phuket (or all of Thailand) that offers the J&J vaccine to tourists? If not, what are the options and dosage intervals?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Is there any place in Phuket (or all of Thailand) that offers the J&J vaccine to tourists? If not, what are the options and dosage intervals?
May I ask, what is the reason you are not getting it in the US (your profile lists a US base) ?

I have not seen J&J anywhere in Thailand, and mostly AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna (two doses, four weeks apart) are now being given to eligible people. I am not sure it is possible for tourists to get vaccinated here, but if it is you would definitely have to pay for it at a private hospital. I would hope they keep the vaccines available for the eligible population of the country though!
estnet and GloballyServiced like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
May I ask, what is the reason you are not getting it in the US (your profile lists a US base) ?

I have not seen J&J anywhere in Thailand, and mostly AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna (two doses, four weeks apart) are now being given to eligible people. I am not sure it is possible for tourists to get vaccinated here, but if it is you would definitely have to pay for it at a private hospital. I would hope they keep the vaccines available for the eligible population of the country though!
The person in need is a Chinese citizen stuck in China. China, being an authoritarian disaster of a country, refuses to give its citizens a choice of a WHO approved vaccine. She needs a WHO approved vaccine in order to fly to the US. Therefore, Thailand will be a medical tourism destination to get a covid vaccine, and we want to select the vaccine with the shortest time to reach “Fully vaccinated” which means final dose + 2 weeks.

I thought the dosage interval of Pfizer was 2 weeks, not sure about AZ.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
I thought the dosage interval of Pfizer was 2 weeks, not sure about AZ.
The dosage interval for the (initial) two doses of Pfizer is 3 weeks. 😊

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.