Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
not only the 90 infections per week threshold counts....
Sandbox gets dirty (bangkokpost.com)
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't imagine anyone is surprised...time to blame the migrant workers I guess.

Some of these people gloating about how perfect the sandbox is, while the bulk of Thailand is stricken with a massive wave, are both shameful and tone-deaf. The sooner they're gone the better.

Phuket marks record 38 new local infections, Patong workers camp in isolation

PHUKET: A workers’ camp in Patong has been put under ‘Bubble and Seal’ isolation for one month after 13 workers there tested positive for COVID-19 as Phuket officials yesterday marked a record 38 local infections on one day, not including two Sandbox arrivals who were also recorded as testing positive yesterday (July 27).

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket...tion-80844.php
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by transpac
I can't imagine anyone is surprised...time to blame the migrant workers I guess.

Some of these people gloating about how perfect the sandbox is, while the bulk of Thailand is stricken with a massive wave, are both shameful and tone-deaf. The sooner they're gone the better.
I do not see any causal linkage between the sandbox and clusters in worker camps...as nobody is connecting the high infection rates in Bangkok (mainly in communities, where people live close together) with the hundreds of returned Thais and foreigners in ASQ hotels.

nobody claims the sandbox is perfect, but it is a step towards bringing back some desparately needed tourists. [overly personalized comment removed by moderator]
JNelson113 and SKT-DK like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 28, 2021 at 10:24 am
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Phuket ‘Third Wave’ COVID infections breach 1,000

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID-19 situation report for yesterday (July 28) has marked 24 new infections, bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to over 1,000.

The 24 new local infections did not include one Phuket Sandbox arrival testing positive for COVID-19 and three more Phuket residents infected with COVID-19 in other provinces brought back to the island for treatment under the “Bring Phuket people home” policy.

As such, the 24 new cases bring the total number of new local infections on the island in the past seven days to 160.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket...-000-80849.php

Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BinSabai
nobody claims the sandbox is perfect, but it is a step towards bringing back some desparately needed tourists. [overly personalized comment removed by moderator]
The fundamental problem is that Thailand is trying to attract tourist dollars, while at the same time pursuing an unachievable zero cases policy, in the face of an ongoing, completely inexcusable failure to secure an adequate supply of effective vaccines. It's doomed to fail and all just very sad.
estnet, tai4de2 and dsquared37 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huge start-up costs, huge on-going costs, so break-even was months and thousands of 'boxers off, and no plans for what happens if cases spike.

Like everything the regime touches, no amount of lipstick will make this thing into anything other than a pig.

Slap a giant DNR sign on this foolishness. Get back to me when 70%/50 mm people have been fully vaxxed with a real vaccine.

Overthrowing a government is easy. Governing effectively, not so easy.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
yes...a criminal brain....so it's either to have a government, that makes mistakes or a criminal as PM....
Hear hear!
Old Jul 29, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Phuket governor orders entire island sealed off

The Phuket governor has ordered the entire island sealed off, with travellers from other provinces not allowed to enter Phuket starting from Aug 3, while the fate of the Phuket Sandbox scheme is yet to be determined.

A provincial order, signed by Governor Narong Woonciew on Thursday, outlined the stiffer travel restrictions in Phuket. People from outside the province are prohibited from travelling to Phuket with the exception of those transporting essential goods, students, and emergency medical services. Those exempt are still required to be fully vaccinated and have proof to show at the entry checkpoint.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...and-sealed-off
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More restrictions, impossible to keep up...

Source:

ACS Bangkok

@ACSBKK

Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:40 am

instead of posting endless news from mainstream media, I would be interested in eyewhitness reports from the sandbox.
How do they see the recent restrictions and development?
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like some local Thais are expressing their views on the situation...

Police probe staged protest photos of bodies left on Phuket Town streets

PHUKET: Phuket Provincial Police have launched an investigation into staged photos posted online showing white shrouds spattered with blood strewn on the streets of Phuket Town in protest over the government’s handling of the current outbreak of COVID-19.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/police...eets-80869.php

estnet likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Article posted/linked here has been published in Thailand, and is submitted here without any comment from me.

Sandbox bookings ease amid uptick

Forward bookings for the Phuket sandbox in August are decelerating as cases of Covid-19 mount on the southern island province.

Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) deputy governor for Europe, Africa, the Middle East and the Americas, said hotel reservations for August over the last few days had grown 10%, down from more than 15% per day prior to the latest outbreak.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...se-amid-uptick
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Article posted/linked here has been published in Thailand, and is submitted here without any comment from me.

Phuket local infections over seven days tops 200

The 35 new local infections bring the total number of new local infections on the island in the past seven days to 209, as follows:

July 24 - 11 new cases
July 25 - 28 new cases
July 26 - 23 new cases
July 27 - 38 new cases
July 28 - 24 new cases
July 29 - 50 new cases
July 30 - 35 new cases

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket...-200-80875.php
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Just because censorship is enforced inside Thailand in no way means that those of us outside the country should limit our speech because the military dictatorship doesn't like it.
estnet, Diplomatico and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have never been to Phuket and can anyone recommend me an area with a good beach access? White sandy beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.