Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Wow - that is a lot for Thailand! This was booked with a local tour operator? It sounds way too expensive to me...
Yea, I know. In the beginning, we were quite apprehensive in booking with them, but after reading all the 5 stars reviews on trip advisor, we decided to bite the bullet and went for it. We booked via the website, but the company only hire locals and supports the local community.
It ended up as being the highlight of our trip.

We generally found that everything is pricey in Phuket.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Looking for some 'expert' advice as i'm trying to plan a trip for my wife and I (both early 40's) and i'm looking closely at Phuket and/or surrounding areas for 7-10 days in mid to end of October but I have to say that looking online at the various OTA's for a flight/hotel combo is really quite overwhelming as I've no idea where any of the properties are (i.e. in the middle of tourist chaos, or somewhere in the middle of nowhere) and as much as I've been using TripAdvisor there's only so many reviews I can sift through before my eyes begin to cross.

Ideally i'd like to find a property which is not super posh, but not a total dump where we can just chill out and enjoy a little slice of paradise, or as close to it as is possible. Touring around is not a high priority but having the option to get out and wander locally would be nice as i'm sure we can all agree that there's only so much hotel food we can handle before it gets boring and repetitive. Access to the beach is not a huge concern, but a nice view/atmosphere would be nice and a decent pool(s) to have easy access to would be preferred.

Not bothered too much about the big chain hotels, although name recognition sometimes helps with respect to knowing what you're getting, although I don't know how that reflects in Thailand compared to North America?!?

Apologies if this is a vague description but i'm really poking around in the dark right now and haven't got much clue/insight as to where to go and where to avoid so any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I suggest to pick one of the several good hotels in the Laguna area for lovely relaxed surroundings - and quite close to Bang Tao beach.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Neil791
Looking for some 'expert' advice as i'm trying to plan a trip for my wife and I (both early 40's) and i'm looking closely at Phuket and/or surrounding areas for 7-10 days in mid to end of October but I have to say that looking online at the various OTA's for a flight/hotel combo is really quite overwhelming as I've no idea where any of the properties are (i.e. in the middle of tourist chaos, or somewhere in the middle of nowhere) and as much as I've been using TripAdvisor there's only so many reviews I can sift through before my eyes begin to cross.

Ideally i'd like to find a property which is not super posh, but not a total dump where we can just chill out and enjoy a little slice of paradise, or as close to it as is possible. Touring around is not a high priority but having the option to get out and wander locally would be nice as i'm sure we can all agree that there's only so much hotel food we can handle before it gets boring and repetitive. Access to the beach is not a huge concern, but a nice view/atmosphere would be nice and a decent pool(s) to have easy access to would be preferred.

Not bothered too much about the big chain hotels, although name recognition sometimes helps with respect to knowing what you're getting, although I don't know how that reflects in Thailand compared to North America?!?

Apologies if this is a vague description but i'm really poking around in the dark right now and haven't got much clue/insight as to where to go and where to avoid so any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Have a look at Cape Panwa Hotel at the southern end of Phuket.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Have stayed in many areas. Cape Panwa was really nice. I stayed Crowne Plaza. It is quiet though and maybe after few days would be boring.

I like Karon Beach myself. The Hilton is good. Huge place and busy with groups but big enough never seems busy. Nice range of pools and food adult only area. Lounge really nice. Spa great and good gym. Large gardens to walk or run. Easily walk to shops and nearby attractions. Short drive to Patong.

the area around airport is nice as well with some great beaches.

Khoa Lak is the most beautiful area. Been there few times when there was a Pullman hotel. I think it is now a all inclusive but some amazing pool villas and the whole resort is huge. There are some really nice hotels in the area. Bit far from airport but quieter and still shops and things to do. This is the area which was devasted by the Tsunami and you have to visit the museum to fully appreciated how much effort has gone into restoring the area
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:48 am

As said Laguna area...there are 5 hotels there to chose from and just a few minutes drive (you could walk it) into Tinlay Place and Boat Avenue which have a really good selection of restaurants, bars and shops plus a night market once a week. Some the restaurants do pick ups. The beach is good and the Laguna hotels are allowed sun beds. Airport is approx 20 to 30 mins drive.

Surin - next beach down - The Surin hotel has its own beach but few mins walk to a few shops and restaurants. Twinpalms is also a nice hotel but not on the beach.

Kata - some decent hotels - Kata Rocks, Mom Tri - lots of shops, bars and restaurants within easy walking distance - popular area for families. There is also a decent hotel in Kata Noi but I think expensive.

Nai Harn - The Nai Harn hotel - right on the beach and great views, rooms are very good. Few local restaurants and shops within walking distance and the village (5 min drive) has a good selection as well although not easy walking the roads. Nai Harn beach is classed as one of the best on the island.

Cape Panwa - quieter and beaches not so good but a couple of nice hotels. Not much choice for restaurants without travelling.

Khao Lak - on the mainland, about an hour + 30 min drive depending on which part. Only the hotels at the beginning section are within walking distance of the shops. Beaches are very good. We usually stop at JW Marriott but it has become full of chinese tourists. The Sarojin should be okay.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Beaches and boat rides aside, for the "city" portion, such as visiting the Big Buddha, Wat Chalong, etc. Is it advisable to hire a car for half a day for what seems like ~6500 bht as the ongoing rate? Those attractions do seem to be located further, and from Patong, it would be at least 400+ bht each taxi trip. But all taxi trips added up together, I don't think it would be more than 3000? But I'm not sure how available taxi's would be once you leave the "hotel areas". And how willing are taxi drivers to charge at metered rates.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by SK AAR
a

IMO Koh Phi Phi is way overrated and can easily be skipped. There are better alternatives e.g. Phang Nga.

You should definitely book local/once you get there - booking this from home will lead to a significant rip-off.
What is the expected estimate price difference for booking locally?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6,500 THB for a half day car rental - are you kidding? A full day should THB 2,500 - 3,500 THB (car + driver + fuel).

In Phuket you will not find any taxi charging normal metered rate. Rates are set/negotiated and heavily inflated from what you pay elsewhere in Thailand. The local taxi/tuk-tuk mafia is still very much in control of the transport operations (this rip-off is the number one issue that tourists complain about in Phuket). 400 B will get you nowhere (maybe a tuk-tuk trip within Patong).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
What is the expected estimate price difference for booking locally?
Sorry, I have no idea - but in general it is always cheaper to book with local tour operators rather than with an agent in your home country. Once you get to Thailand/Phuket you will find abundance of travel agents, tour operators/guides all competing to sell you tours or other activities tailor-made to your requests.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Beaches and boat rides aside, for the "city" portion, such as visiting the Big Buddha, Wat Chalong, etc. Is it advisable to hire a car for half a day for what seems like ~6500 bht as the ongoing rate? Those attractions do seem to be located further, and from Patong, it would be at least 400+ bht each taxi trip. But all taxi trips added up together, I don't think it would be more than 3000? But I'm not sure how available taxi's would be once you leave the "hotel areas". And how willing are taxi drivers to charge at metered rates.
A minivan and driver costs 3000 THB for 10 hours, unlimited mileage and gasoline included and also the agents commission!

Who gave you the rate 6500 THB?

You should fix the price before going anywhere rather than use metered taxis.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Cyan123
A minivan and driver costs 3000 THB for 10 hours, unlimited mileage and gasoline included and also the agents commission!

Who gave you the rate 6500 THB?

You should fix the price before going anywhere rather than use metered taxis.
IME there aren't any "metered" taxis - just fixed rate (from ridiculous to outrageous compared to Bangkok)
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by estnet
IME there aren't any "metered" taxis - just fixed rate (from ridiculous to outrageous compared to Bangkok)
There are some...but meter is never used or if it is then it does not work correctly. Yes Phuket prices are extremely annoying when comparing to BKK, no difference in gasoline or vehicle costs but they will not accept that they are giving the island a bad reputation, I just love banging my head against the wall trying to explain this and more on a regular basis!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
There are some...but meter is never used or if it is then it does not work correctly. Yes Phuket prices are extremely annoying when comparing to BKK, no difference in gasoline or vehicle costs but they will not accept that they are giving the island a bad reputation, I just love banging my head against the wall trying to explain this and more on a regular basis!
Well for me, years ago hotel staff told me that the taxi's won't even stop for Thais - so that is the worst for me - that tourists ruin the economy for the locals Oh and the taxis that beat up customers for arguing about price, or the ones that barricade hotels, etc
As I haven't been back since, despite months in Thailand as a tourist I've made my choice.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: *, 1W
There are actually metered taxis and I do use them quite a bit, but the rate is way higher than what would pay in Bangkok, that is true. However, there are certain places where it is very difficult to get one, e.g. airport is totally controlled by the "limousine" service companies, Patong by the Tuk-Tuk community etc. The easiest way to get a metered transport is to use a taxi app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.