Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Old Apr 23, 08, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond,Southwest A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP Gold
What do i do if I have a five-digit pin? Can the bank change that?
Old Apr 26, 08, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond,Southwest A-List Preferred, Alaska MVP Gold
Any advice about Koh Racha? Mid-May?
Old Apr 26, 08, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
Hi-

I am going to be spend 2 weeks in Phuket at the Marriott Beach Club with my parents. While I have heard that the resort is beautiful, I also understand it's rather remote.

I am planning on spending most of my time scuba diving, but there don't seem to be many dive shops around the Mai Khao area. Has anyone had any experience with any of the dive shops? Should I plan on commuting to Chalong or up to Khao Lak? Is it even possible to rent a car to commute, or will I be at the mercy of taxis/private car?

Thanks!
Chris
Old Apr 27, 08, 12:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by challett View Post
Is it even possible to rent a car to commute, or will I be at the mercy of taxis/private car?
Budget has a branch next door at the JW Marriott.
Old Apr 27, 08, 1:59 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by mlg70 View Post
Any advice about Koh Racha? Mid-May?
My only trip to Koh Racha Yai recently was a fairly easy 1 hour speedboat ride from Chalong Pier. Some on the boat were a bit seasick even though the seas were calm. Check safety equipment on Thai boats, especially life vests as Thai vessels are often under equiped... & sea conditions change quickly in this part of the world.

The island is lovely. The beaches picture perfect. A few restaurants and sundry stores with prices a bit higher than Phuket, but not crazy. The resort is lovely, but the resort beach not the nicest on the island.

May has rain. This month the rain has been an hour or so a day, sometimes in the morning, sometimes afternoon, sometimes after dark. One in 3 or 4 days has been hot and sunny.

Enjoy... and report your experience for others

Originally Posted by challett View Post

I am going to be spend 2 weeks in Phuket at the Marriott Beach Club with my parents. While I have heard that the resort is beautiful, I also understand it's rather remote.

I am planning on spending most of my time scuba diving, but there don't seem to be many dive shops around the Mai Khao area. Has anyone had any experience with any of the dive shops? Should I plan on commuting to Chalong or up to Khao Lak? Is it even possible to rent a car to commute, or will I be at the mercy of taxis/private car?
I think most dive shops will offer hotel pickup. They may charge a higher fee if they know you're at the Marriott

Car and Motorcycle rentals are everywhere. Many that claim insurance are not completely honest about the coverage. Expect to pay for any damages. Some recommend only franchised 'big name' rentals, but the local renters are jsut as good... as long as you're aware of conditions.

Phuket roads take many lives. Many drunks on the road at night means being extra careful. If renting a motorcycle/scooter WEAR your helmet & International license is advised too. For safety sake and for the many roadblocks that check both. Fines for no helmet/license are about 500THB ($15US)
Old May 1, 08, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton gold
I'm thinking about coming to Phuket for about 6 weeks from the end of August to do a scuba course, the company is located on Patong Beach (Thaweewong Road) and has apartments somewhere around there.

Whats the general action like in that area?

And how would you rate it in general? I was in Koh Samui in February, and everyone I've spoken to likes Samui more....
Old May 15, 08, 12:10 am

Programs: AC-E
Patong in June

Hi,

We are planing to spend 5 nights at a beach-front resort on Patong beach in late June. we would like to find out:

-How is the weather in late June and is the water generally swimmable?

-We had seen reviews about prescription glasses are deals there. Any recommendations and do the optical shops sell "fake" brandnames frames?

-We had previously stayed in Surin beach during high season. Had a great time there. But had seen reviews about the beach in June is pretty deserted, and restaurants are closed. Is there any truth to it?

Thanks for your help!

Wooe, Mrs

Last edited by Wooe; May 15, 08 at 8:45 am
Old May 15, 08, 11:30 am

Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
I don't have experience with summer weather in Phuket. I'll let someone else comment on that.

But I have bought MANY pairs of eyeglasses in Thailand. Quality is great, prices range from good to incredible. All the brand names that are on sale will be copies. Difficult to spot, and still quite durable, I'd avoid them over the cheaper non brandname copies. Thailand sells good inexpensive frames, and they make great lenses at great prices.

The soft titanium frames are my favorite and no-name brands are available for about 200THB. I've bought clear and tinted/sunglass pescriptions for as little as 1900THB for lenses. The transition lenses that change from clear to sunglasses have a hefty price premium though at about 3000THB+ Phuket prices will be more than Bangkok, but bargaining will get you good discounts.

Be sure to bring a current perscription from home.
Old May 15, 08, 11:57 am
Suspended

Difficult to predict Phuket's weather during raining season. I have had clear blue sky as well as continuous days of rain during these months. Year before last (2006) was not too bad but last year (2007) was very wet. And the sea would get quite rough as well, very very different from the dry season which is reflected in the room rates.

Best to keep your expectations low, and hope for the best.
Old May 15, 08, 11:15 pm

Programs: AC-E
Thanks, Seanthepilot and Mario 33 for your help! I guess we will concentrate on shopping when the beach is bad.

Cheers,

Wooe
Old May 22, 08, 5:16 am

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest, BA Avios, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Aegean Miles & Bonus,
Diving in Patong

Hi everyone,
I in Patong yesterday and will stay a couple of weeks.
Thought I'd put up a posting for recommendations on dive operators who can certify me, either via a four-day class in Patong or a four-day live-aboard.
Any advice?
Anyone in Patong want to get together for a drink? Would be good to meet some people as I'm traveling on my own... sniff.
Jenni
Old May 22, 08, 5:27 am
Suspended

Sean should be within a few minutes of you, he's from Victoria and reasonably likable... for a guy from the island.

I (YVR/HKG) may be down this next week for a day, if so will pm you.

Phuket Divers is ok, but a 5 minute stroll along the front road of Patong will yield many options.
Old May 24, 08, 6:10 am

Beaner, I just arrived back this afternoon. Our place is just behind Jungceylon and I'm always up for meeting up and going out. I'll send you a PM.

I'll be here for a few more weeks if anyone else is around and wants to schedule anything.
Old May 25, 08, 6:05 am

Looking to cut down on the amount of stuff to take with me and just wondering about where/if you can buy frisbees on Phuket? Also beach type toys for kids - plastic buckets, shovels, etc.

Thanks and Regards
Old May 25, 08, 10:03 am
Suspended

MacDaddie,

you won't have to walk more than 20' feet to find any of that on Patong. Anywhere else in Phuket, it may take 30 minutes.. maybe .. to locate it,

SEAN / BEANER , likely heading down on the 1-4 June..

Search this Thread