Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by NightTripper
any recommendations for walking distance restaurants near Hilton Arcadia?

any "must-visit" restaurants in Karon Beach?

best recommendation for Sunday Night Market visit? is there one central market? or different markets?

1st time traveler to Thailand. thx in advance^

I love Karon Beach. We ate at a lot of restaurants. I loved Red Onion and Two Chefs. There was a huge restaurant nearly opposite the Red Onion which was great too. I can't remember the name. I can't say we had a bad experience when we ate in Karon. There are about 4 or 5 others that were great but I can't remember their names.

I'm not sure if there is more than one night market in Karon but a big one is Karon Temple Market. It's about 10 or 15 mins walk down the road from the Red Onion if my memory serves me correct.

I love Karon. It still has the same Thai Vibe as other busier places but without the constant harassment you get in Bangla Road Patong.

BTW the Red Onion's food is fabulous but their service is not great. They want to get you in and out quickly. If you are there for the food it won't matter.

Last edited by Annalisa12; Mar 4, 2016 at 6:51 pm Reason: Added last sentence.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by NightTripper
any recommendations for walking distance restaurants near Hilton Arcadia?

^
I don't know exactly where the Hilton Arcadia is but it is easy to get in to Karon and eat there. It's so easy to get home. Tuk Tuk's everywhere and they are a set price as to where you want to go. You won't have this huge variation of prices.. Just thought I'd say that in case you wanted walking distance as you were worried about getting around.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
If anyone knows of any tour companies or methods of finding boat operators that can take 2 people to a private beach or island away from the crowds but still has great scenery, please let me know! Only in Phuket for a full day and really want to maximize that time to get out and see something spectacular. Thanks!!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
If anyone knows of any tour companies or methods of finding boat operators that can take 2 people to a private beach or island away from the crowds but still has great scenery, please let me know! Only in Phuket for a full day and really want to maximize that time to get out and see something spectacular. Thanks!!
Go to Rawai Beach and hire a private loingtail boat. Go to Koh Bon and some of the other islands, do some snorkeling, maybe even fishing, and enjoy the day.

But for something really spectacular you have to go further out, to the Phang Nga Bay/Phi Phi area. Any boat operator can help you with that, check e.g. Nikorn marine for a speedboat charter.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'll be staying 4 days around Nai Yang Beach area. Is there anything fun to do (besides plane spotting) ?
Something short ride away. One thing I don't want to do is to go to Patong (which is 45 minutes away anyway).
I'm not interested in going to other islands etc. Just looking for some local attractions.

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I'll be staying 4 days around Nai Yang Beach area. Is there anything fun to do (besides plane spotting) ?
Something short ride away. One thing I don't want to do is to go to Patong (which is 45 minutes away anyway).
I'm not interested in going to other islands etc. Just looking for some local attractions.

Thanks
Plane spotting isn't enough for you?

Question: Why do you want to go to Patong? You may prefer Surin Beach over Patong for a short drive excursion.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Plane spotting is the main reason why I'm going there
BUT - if they will land on runway 27 I want to do something with my girlfriend
Day time we are doing what I want (which is pretty much plane photography) and evenings we are doing what she wants

I don't want to go to Patong. But it seems that everyone is going there. I spent about an hour in Khao San Road in Bangkok and I'm getting a vibe that Patong beach is pretty much the same.
I don't mind taking a ride to some other nearby areas if there was something to do.

Is there any place which offers dinners on the boat? Something similar to dinner cruse on the river in Bangkok?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:47 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I don't want to go to Patong. But it seems that everyone is going there. I spent about an hour in Khao San Road in Bangkok and I'm getting a vibe that Patong beach is pretty much the same.
I don't mind taking a ride to some other nearby areas if there was something to do.
Patong is nothing like Khao San Road.

At once a quiet beach town with nothing else but sex tourism/bars, Patong of today still has the sleeze, but it now takes a back seat to Night Clubbing, Discos, with partying, all night restaurants and an overpriced pool hall or 2. The bars start to close around 3am, the restaurants dwindle in numbers until the discos close about 6am (3-6 depending on the crackdown du jour). The die hards have no problem finding places to drink through 10 am.

The minibusses that shuttle people to the piers to do the various island tours start about 6am and tourism once again takes shape. A million tuktuks, massage shops, and tailors can easily be ignored. A 2-3 km beach comes alive and the town is hustle and bustle again by noon.

The mall opens at 11am ish, with banks, supermarkets, a movie theatre and bowling. Dining of all types, Thai, Western, Indian, Halal, and now a large choice of Middle Eastern restaurants are scattered around the area.

Since it's only 2-3 km wide and 1km deep (from the ocean). Nothing is far to walk. Most people ignore the overpriced tuktuk mafia and either walk everywhere or rent scooters.

Only you can decide whether Patong is for you. But, that's the quick 2 minute synopsis.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
How is the nightlife of Karon?
I don't want to be in the Patong madness but still wanna enjoy some parties at night.
I am going for 3 nights only in May. Right now I have a pool villa at the Renaissance but strongly considering booking something on Karon instead since the Renaissance is so remotely located.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:54 pm

I am not a Patong fan. 2lovelife Got it really spot on - it's sleazy. Surin Beach has great food, some bars right on the beach, and has much less of the MTV Spring Break feel. Just my $0.02. If you got to Surin eat at Black Cat!!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mict
How is the nightlife of Karon?
I don't want to be in the Patong madness but still wanna enjoy some parties at night.
You don't have to go into the madness. Unless you're going to a disco or want the sleeze, there's no reason to. As locals, we rarely go into Bangla... maybe a few times a year. The tourists think they have to visit Bangla Road. It's overpriced and sleezy.
Stay in the outskirts, or even further away.

Karon is a sleeper for nightlife. It's great for the generic holiday people. Some tourist priced restaurants. But, they close things up pretty early.

Surin sounds nice. It likely closes earlier. Someone else can comment.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
You don't have to go into the madness. Unless you're going to a disco or want the sleeze, there's no reason to. As locals, we rarely go into Bangla... maybe a few times a year. The tourists think they have to visit Bangla Road. It's overpriced and sleezy.
Stay in the outskirts, or even further away.

Karon is a sleeper for nightlife. It's great for the generic holiday people. Some tourist priced restaurants. But, they close things up pretty early.

Surin sounds nice. It likely closes earlier. Someone else can comment.
Thanks, I was actually looking into Surin right now, looks nice but everything there seems overpriced. Can I have a blast without spending a fortune in Surin? I like their beach clubs.
Also, I see the beach club entrance is between 1000 and 2000 THB, do they make it cheaper in May because of the rain season?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:11 am

Wait until you see the drink prices....
Thailand has changed.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I don't want to go to Patong, that's why I'm staying right next to the airport.
The only small issue with that is, that there is almost nothing to do at night.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Wait until you see the drink prices....
Thailand has changed.
Last time I was at Surin I was drinking Blue Label like it was water because there was a typo on the menu - they were missing a 0 so it was $18usd a drink

I don't want to go to Patong, that's why I'm staying right next to the airport.
The only small issue with that is, that there is almost nothing to do at night.
Go up to the JW and have dinner at Ginga than drinks on the beach one night - not a night life spot but great food and place to hang out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.