Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hi,

I am planning on visiting Phuket for the first time in May for 4 or 5 nights and would appreciate some help finding a hotel.
I don't have a huge budget, looking to spend around $90 per night with breakfast.
Here are some hotels that I liked and are within my budget:
The JW and Hyatt are a little bit more expensive than my budget so I would pick those if you guys would really recommend it over the others.

JW Marriott
Hyatt Regency
Pullman Aracadia
Westin
Radisson
Renaissance
Hilton
Mandarava Resort & Spa

I like eating out as hotel food is generally not great and overpriced. So accessible restaurants, etc would be nice around the Hotel.
Also, would like to do a few visits during the day so if tourist attractions are accessible that would be nice as well.
I am in my early twenties, will probably go alone (although that could change). Just looking to relax, enjoy and see new things.
I do have Corporate Rates on the JW and Renaissance making them fit in my budget (well the JW with a stretch).

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Mict, I'm a big fan of the JW (see TR below) and have only stayed there so I can't give you much of a comparison perspective but I can tell you the Marriott properties are North of the airport and most (...all) of the 'action' is South.

If you want to do touristy stuff like Surin Beach, Patong, maybe a boat ride to Phi Phi look at properties a little further South.

My wife and I love the JW, it's perfect for us, but we're not into some of the "going out" or night life things. So depending on what you want the Marriott properties may not work for you as well - taxi's are cheap but they add up quick when you are 30+ min from everything.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
We have stayed at the Rabbit Mansion several times in Patong Beach for around $42/night. Plenty of places for breakfast, lunch, dinner within walking distance for $5-20. No water view and about a 15 min walk to the beach or a $2 motorbike taxi or $4-7 for a taxi car (negotiate, if the driver doesn't want to, walk away unless it's a tuk tuk as that is rigged). Also quiet and safe with a nice pool. You can rent a motorbike for $5-6/day there and ride up/down the coast to the other beaches on that side, although we didn't venture into Phuket town on them. Lots of good food there too.

Be careful of staying too close to Bangla road as the it's loud and the clubs go to 3-4am.

We have also stayed at the Avantika Hotel which is on the beach and a few blocks south of the main loop road (so it is quite there). That was ~$125 a few years back.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks guys!

The JW and Renaissance are too remotely located so I will scratch those from my list.

Right now, it looks like I am gonna go with the Mandarava. Great Price and great reviews.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I feel like the rainy season has been discussed here ad nauseam however I'm torn about visiting in July. I have a two week stretch in July and I really want to visit Phuket and Phi Phi for four of those days. I'm racking my brain. I land in Bangkok on July 10th. I suppose I can look at the weather forecast for the area and swap around certain parts of the trip to accommodate. If I don't book flights ahead of time and only stay at hotels that can be refunded it may work. Has anyone else who visited during the rainy season done this? I like planning ahead of time, but in this case I may make more sense to wing it.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by greg0ire
I feel like the rainy season has been discussed here ad nauseam however I'm torn about visiting in July. I have a two week stretch in July and I really want to visit Phuket and Phi Phi for four of those days. I'm racking my brain. I land in Bangkok on July 10th. I suppose I can look at the weather forecast for the area and swap around certain parts of the trip to accommodate. If I don't book flights ahead of time and only stay at hotels that can be refunded it may work. Has anyone else who visited during the rainy season done this? I like planning ahead of time, but in this case I may make more sense to wing it.
Especially in that part of Thailand, it is impossible to say during that season. You could end up having more or less a week of sun, or you could have a week of rain. Nobody will be able to tell you your chances

I suggest not over-nighting on Koh Phi Phi though (not due to weather, but because it will give you nothing extra compared to a day-trip via boat).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Dining and sight seeng recommendations

Hello everybody,

Will be in Phuket for 4 nights end of Feb. Already have hotel and rental car arranged, will stay at Surin.

on Sunday day we plan to drive from Surin south and stop by at sights\places, ending up at Phuket Town to see Night Market. I have couple of questions:

- would you recommend a place to have lunch from Surin to Phromthep Cape? Would be nice if it has good views but not expensive? We would like to avoid crowded/touristy places

- is parking a problem around Old Town and Night Market on Sundays? If yes, where can we park the car to walk and see streets/architecture/life?

- Staying at Surin - where would like to recommend to drive and see for nature lovers? Would be drive to Khao Lak too much stretch?

- do you have any recommended street food places around Surin/Kamala or no more 10-15 min drive from Surin? Really do not want to drive to Patong just to eat.

- the same about massage - any recommendations?

Any additional recommendations/suggestions/warnings/etc are welcomed.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by invisible
- is parking a problem around Old Town and Night Market on Sundays? If yes, where can we park the car to walk and see streets/architecture/life?
You'll be able to find a place to park within a few blocks of the market. Just be careful of one way streets etc.

- do you have any recommended street food places around Surin/Kamala or no more 10-15 min drive from Surin? Really do not want to drive to Patong just to eat.
Backtrack on 4025 toward Bang Tao and there's a stretch with food before the mosque.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by sexten
Especially in that part of Thailand, it is impossible to say during that season. You could end up having more or less a week of sun, or you could have a week of rain. Nobody will be able to tell you your chances

I suggest not over-nighting on Koh Phi Phi though (not due to weather, but because it will give you nothing extra compared to a day-trip via boat).
Is it silly to do this trip in July? I'm deciding between somewhere in Asia or Europe. Maybe I should let this go.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
Is it silly to do this trip in July? I'm deciding between somewhere in Asia or Europe. Maybe I should let this go.
I wouldn't say it is silly, but you can't expect the same stable weather as you'd get from December to March

If you can live with daily rain showers there's plenty of things to do, and the resorts are usually quite a bit cheaper in this period.

For reference, see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_Province#Climate
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Backtrack on 4025 toward Bang Tao and there's a stretch with food before the mosque.
Are you talking about this place?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:29 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
During these months, you're just as likely to get a week without a drop of rain, as you are to get one with a few scattered downpours here and there.
And, if you choose the wrong week, it could be a wet one.

Pool time and beach time can be just as fun with some rain. And you can get sunburn, just the same.

But, it's for the rest of the days that rain is a bummer.

If I was too summarize, I'd say that most of the rainy months are still quite dry. But, you just can't predict when it's going to hit. On the upside, when it's raining, it's still 36C and both the wind and rain are warm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Are you talking about this place?
That seems about right.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Went to Phuket during wet season for about 12 days. Had to go then to fit in with my work schedule. It rained for about an hour the whole week. A few cloudy days but mostly sunny.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:39 am

What is the difference between the two Hiltons? Thinking of 2 full days in Bangkok; 2 nights at Conrad Koh Samui, 2 nights at busier area in Koh Samui; 2 nights Ko Tao; 3 nights Phuket; a day in Cambodia or Vietnam.

Does this make sense? Am I moving around too much? Is it a bit redundant with the beaches?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.