Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am originally from New York...

...and I enjoy tomatoes.

Throw some cucumbers and lettuce while you are at it, please...
And bacon too.

I learned to drive in/around the NYC area and have no problems handling the left side driving or manual shifting with my left hand. The biggest problem with driving in Asia is simply the random styles of driving; trying to determine who will be aggressive and who oblivious.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Take the standard minibus/ferry combo

You can book them anywhere for about 350 per person per leg.
Phuket-Phi Phi-Krabi
I prefer private transfers. Any reputable company you recommend?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:01 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Mattyb44
I prefer private transfers. Any reputable company you recommend?
Be prepared to pay through the teeth then.

Good luck. I have no contacts to suggest. Even if I knew people, they'd be expensive.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Be prepared to pay through the teeth then.

Good luck. I have no contacts to suggest. Even if I knew people, they'd be expensive.
Using the powers of the internet I already found many private speedboat transfers which cost around 9500THB total for example, from Phuket to Phi Phi. I feel that's an acceptable price when compared to the alternative and the time saved. Ł180 x2 for the 2 speedboat trips we would need is Ł90 per person for close to 2 hours on a speedboat. I don't see that as extortionate by any means.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:32 am

This is exactly what this thread is for. Thanks for posting what you found. Please, be sure to post afterwards with how you found the experience.

Originally Posted by Mattyb44
Using the powers of the internet I already found many private speedboat transfers which cost around 9500THB total for example, from Phuket to Phi Phi. I feel that's an acceptable price when compared to the alternative and the time saved. Ł180 x2 for the 2 speedboat trips we would need is Ł90 per person for close to 2 hours on a speedboat. I don't see that as extortionate by any means.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 am

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-...cess-48508.php

New Metered Taxi system started today. Fingers crossed to see it thrive.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

Are these boat taxis? The pictures my brother in law sends me indicate it may have rained. A bit.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the update!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:48 pm

Hello,
My fiancee and I are planning to have a wedding in Phuket. We are from Los Angeles, CA, USA. Planning around the end of November 2015. We are really interested at hosting the venue at Sri Panwa resort. It is a pretty pricey resort and my fiancee is in love with the place. I am not sold on the cost. Do you know of any other hotels similar in terms of venue? If not, do you know if there are any other hotels nearby that would be affordable for our guest to stay? I would say between $50 to a $100 a night that would be nearby Sri Panwa?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
So the meter rate to Patong is 500 B + airport fee, 100 B = 600 B? To Karon it is 600 B + airport fee, 100 B = 700 B?

Still quite expensive and certainly not comparable with BKK taxi rates. In fact I don't see much difference from the current rates. In Patong a private car to the airport is 600-700 B (depending on your negotiation skills).
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Phuket Beaches: Has Junta cleaned them up?

There is a video making the rounds, including on BKK Post, of a beach vendor throwing a tourist off the beach in Pattaya. Pushing her, kicking sand, etc. The article says that the junta has cleaned up the problem in Phuket but hasn't started in Chon Buri yet. I'm just curious from someone on the ground in Phuket about what they see. Is it working? Are things getting better?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...-angers-public
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:27 pm

delete

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Sep 19, 2014 at 12:49 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:42 am
Jnb

Programs: BAEC
Phuket visit during rain season

First off, as this is my first post on flyertalk, hello everybody!

I'll be going to Thailand for 10days at the end of next week. I've been to Thailand two times before and, to some degree covered, most of the country.
However this will be my first time to go during rain season.

Me and the girlfriend will arrive in Bangkok next Saturday and spend 4 nights at the AETAS in Bangkok and then continue to Phuket on the 1st of October for 5 nights at the Sunsuri in Hai Narn. There was little flexibility with the dates and, considering the good Hotel and Flight rates, we decided to take our chances.

I realize the weather will be a hit or miss and we might a load of rain during our stay. In Bangkok, I reckon, this will not be a problem as we will mostly be shopping and exploring the restaurants of the city.
I would, however, like to hear something about other peoples experiences of Phuket during off-season. Any advice on what to do on a rainy day in the Phuket area is very appreciated! I would also like to hear some restaurant/bar recommendations. As our Hotel is a little bit out of the way, I was hoping that getting around with a scooter should not be problem, as one could just look for some cover and take a break if there comes any unexpected rain, correct?
Finally, does somebody know how the beach situation looks like in the beginning of october? Will most, if not all, of the beaches be red-flagged or are there some that are generally less prone to currents etc., where swimming will be possible?

Jnb
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I don't mind the rainy season in Phuket. The rain mostly falls in bursts, anyway. Plus, the prices are generally much lower than in high season (even more so than other areas of Thailand).

But you ask a good question about swimming and red flags. I've found that Patong beach is usually swimmable then, but the beaches near the JW and Renaissance (Mai Khao) are usually not. That's my experience. I don't know about Nai Harn, but I'd definitely want to know in advance.

The other thing I'd want to know is how remote my resort is. Personally, I like to be able to choose from local restaurants rather than being stuck with the (universally overpriced) resort restaurants. The scooter would mostly take care of that problem, I suppose.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:21 am

I definitely agree with BigE. You get to maximise your budget during the off-peak season. The place is scenic anyway. Scooter rental is definitely cheap and you could discover more alternatives once you're there. Check out the not-so-fancy local restaurants like the Ang and Esarn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.