Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Old Mar 28, 08, 8:57 am
Suspended

Agreed.. Butterfly farm is lame.

Sean, you bought a guest house? WOW.

Maybe you can rent out my villa for me too!
Old Mar 29, 08, 5:06 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by jezsik View Post
DownUnderFlyer, for a modern interpretation of Thai style in Phuket, consider the Moevenpick. It's quite new and very tasteful. I've not seen the interior of the Le Meridian rooms, but for services and location, it's my favorite location. I've not seen the inside of the Karon Hilton, but it's pretty sprawling. I'd go for the Marriott first - especially if you plan to lounge primarily.
Thanks for this! We will have a look at the Moevenpick or alternatively use the Meridien.
mttchi, is your villa for rent?
Old Mar 29, 08, 6:06 am
Suspended

Yes Sir it is.. (although it tends to book out )

email me [email protected] privately so as not to use Randy's bandwidth.
Old Mar 29, 08, 8:50 am

Programs: NH*G, Accor Silver
Question Transfer to Khao Lak

Dear all,

we are planning to stay in Khao Lak for 5 days in June and I have a question concerning the transfer: I read it takes approx. 1 hour by taxi from HKT airport, how long does it actually take from Krabi airport to Khao Lak ?
Is it roughly the same price for the transfer ?

Flights are bit cheaper to Krabi, so I was wondering if this is a realistic option or not. Thanks for your opinions !

Best regards,

Chris
Old Mar 30, 08, 7:23 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by mtacchi View Post
Agreed.. Butterfly farm is lame.

Sean, you bought a guest house? WOW.

Maybe you can rent out my villa for me too!
We made a small budget guesthouse with private and dorm rooms targeting the lowest end of the Patong market. It's right behind Junceylon Mall.

I also have a studio condo that I rent out in the Montana Grand Hotel. Clean, affordable, w/ swimming pool and 1 block from Patong beach.
Old Mar 30, 08, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
I read it takes approx. 1 hour by taxi from HKT airport, how long does it actually take from Krabi airport to Khao Lak ?
Is it roughly the same price for the transfer ?
Though I have not done the trip myself, I would add an additional 1.5 to 2hrs ontop of the transfer from HKT. Krabi airport is only good if you intend to stay there, its one big loop to the Phuket "peninsula". Fares are cheap for good reasons ....

Last edited by mario33; Mar 30, 08 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 30, 08, 10:01 am

Programs: NH*G, Accor Silver
Thanks Mario33, will fly to HKT directly. Not worth the hassle..

Cheers,

Chris27
Old Apr 2, 08, 3:36 am
Hoc

Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA; AA Exec Plat, AA 2.5 MM, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
What kind of exchange rate to the (U.S. or Canadian) dollar are you getting out of the ATM machines over there now?

I found that here in the U.S., I can get 30-31 Baht to the U.S. dollar with no exchange or transaction fees via Wells Fargo. Any better over there?
Old Apr 3, 08, 3:46 am

Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
I saw mid 30's exchange rate from the currency exchange today. It's generally accepted that the ATMs give a little poorer spread, but I find it's not enough to give much thought.

I should point out that in the tourist areas of Phuket there have been isolated incidents of ATM skimmers. Best to hide the keypad while you punch in your PIN code. I've used ATMs here for years without any issue, but some people don't seem protective of their PIN.

ATM fees may be a concern. I have a (Canadian) account that charges no domestic/international ATM fees, so that isn't an issue for me either.
Old Apr 3, 08, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by NWA-PLAT View Post
When will the Courtyard by Marriott open on Surin Beach?
Sorry, I don't know. Perhaps an other member knows (hint, hint to anyone reading)

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
The big question is: Where to stay?

We like hotels which would have a modern interpretation of Thai style. Clean lines, well kept. I am also a Starwood Platinum and Hilton Gold so any of those hotels I could partially book on points. I also have a 50% off rack rate certificate from Starwood.
Ideally, we would like to have something with a bit more room. A suite, villa etc.

So where to stay:
- Le Meridien Khao Lak? Many villas etc. which can be booked for points but Rambuster and others said it is too full in January and the service is not great.
- Le Meridien Phuket? People say it is in urgent need of renovations and no idea about suites and villas.
- The Sheraton Grande Laguna? Doesn't show any availability on the website for many days. Most probably they have not released rates for some days.
- The Hilton Phuket? No idea really.
- Banyan Tree? Looks nice but very expensive. We would need to stay some nights on points in one of the chains to be able to afford this.
- Amanpuri? Like the Banyan Tree. Looks great but people say it might be a bit old. And it is too expensive for the whole stay.
Quick answers from experience.
Khao Lak ~ Isolated but great value. Lovely recognition for Platinums and a nice small resort. Neighbouring areas are very Thai.
Meridian Phuket ~ Great property with private beach and lovely grounds. Restaurants nestled between the huge pool on both sides. The decor/design of the resort are great. The staff are great, beach is lovely. Nestled between Karon and Patong Beaches, some find it difficult to get in and out of, but I love the location. Quiet but not far from everything. Platinums get nicer rooms (rooms being the weaker link) and breakfast.
Hilton Phuket ~ With a large open design, the Hilton property covers a huge area. Accross the road from quieter Karon Beach, they have 4 swimming pools, and very nicely appointed rooms (even the smallest rooms are nice). As a gold you'll recieve breakfast, and perhaps an upgrade. The staff is a huge plus to the experience in this location. They seem to enjoy thier hotel and the genuineness shows. Shuttles bring guests between the parking area and the various buildings that make up the complex.
Grand Laguna, I've never stayed at. But until their rates went up considerably, my friends used to only stay there. Platinum recongnition/upgrade is supposed to be great. The property is closer to the airport in the laguna area. Too far away for me, so thus my advice is limited.
Sorry, can offer no knowledge on either the Banyan Tree or Amanpuri.

I'll try to get to the next questions if I can... but would hope that other travellers can give feedback to the posters questions.
Old Apr 4, 08, 3:19 am

The last I heard from the grapevine was that the Marriott Courtyard Surin is supposed to open in June, Kamala in July and Patong in August. These dates have all slipped significantly past the original deadlines and having driven past the sites recently I would hazard a guess that they will be further delayed.

FYI, the facade of the Courtyard Patong site went up in smoke last week which will probably delay the opening even further - this property is the ex-Grand Tropicana hotel which made headlines last year for having several guests contract Legionnaires Disease.

Last edited by nzed; Apr 4, 08 at 8:51 am
Old Apr 4, 08, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
Hilton

I just stayed at the Hilton and loved it. Even though I received no privelages as a Diamond the customer service was fantastic. I would definately stay here again. The Tuk Tuk Rides to and from Patong were great and inexpensive. I can see why a lot of people move here.

Rex
Old Apr 5, 08, 3:15 pm

Indigo Pearl

This is a great thread. I'm going to Phuket in June for honeymoon. I want to stay 3 nights in a great room or villa, spending no more than $200 (or 6400 Baht) a night. It looks like, for that kind of money, I could either get a pretty posh hotel room (posh for me anyway--I don't travel on business) or some kind of a lowish-end villa with more privacy and probably more memorable. Has anyone ever stayed at Indigo Pearl on Mai Khao? They have a plantation villa for 5500+++ (right at the top of my range). It looks a little weird but has two private gardens and an outdoor shower. Anyone have experiences there?
Old Apr 8, 08, 3:25 pm

We're planning on visiting Thailand at the end of May and want to either visit Phuket or Koh Samui for 3-4 days. Besides relaxing on the beach, we also want to go diving and kitesurfing, which destination (island and beach) do you recommend? We heard that Koh Samui has less rain that time of year. Also, any advice on hotels? We'd like to keep it between $50-100 range.
Old Apr 10, 08, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
my wife and i will be in BKK for a few days and then head on the HKT for a week or so. Im thinking of staying at Diamond Cliff, anyone has any feedback on Diamond Cliff? A friend suggested it to me.

We are a young couple so i dont want to be in the woods somewhere bcs if we fancy to party we would like access to it without to much pain.

Search this Thread