Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: lh sen
All set. Thank you.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:37 am

Evason Phuket

Hi,
Off to the Evason in a fortnight do you know whether it is any good as there are so many varying reports on tripadvisor? Also, can you recommend any good tailors to make ladies clothes nearby and any good local seafood restaurants. The weather also looks pretty dubious for the next month, is it as bad as the internet is saying? Hope you are loving life in Phuket and thank you for your help in advance.

Kind regards,

Charlotte
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
2. Any restaurant recommendations? We're figuring on Baan Rim Pa as a splurge, but are open to suggestions. (I recall a recommendation for one restaurant in Patong where you go to the adjacent seafood market, pick your food, and then go into the restaurant and tell your chef how you want it cooked. But I don't remember the name.)
OK, this sounds right up my alley. Will be visiting during the first week of April and would love to get a restaurant name if anyone knows.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:47 pm

Elephant Trekking -

Could someone please let me know if a fair price to pay for 30-45 minutes of elephant trekking and where to go to get that rate?

I have searched the internet, and I have seen prices from 400 baht up to 2000 baht per couple. I want to get something that is cheap but nice.

The goal: Get on an elephant, ride through a jungle area, and take some pictures.

I will be in Phuket this May for my honeymoon.

Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:16 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The few elephant rides I know are on the hill between Patong & Karon. I've done the one on the top that has been there for years. Basically, you hop on, get trekked up the hill and stop a fewtimes overlooking the water and view and take a few photos, then slowly saunter back to the shop. Takes about an hour or so, IIRC

The prices you posted seem about right. What season are you coming, and I can check for rates if you like.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:31 pm

I recall a recommendation for one restaurant in Patong where you go to the adjacent seafood market, pick your food, and then go into the restaurant and tell your chef how you want it cooked. But I don't remember the name.)
OK, this sounds right up my alley. Will be visiting during the first week of April and would love to get a restaurant name if anyone knows.
Not to worry, there are pleny of these types of restaurants to choose from. However... If I recal correctly, this type of seafood restaurant is quite expensive and priced by weight. Be sure to check the price for each piece ordered to avoid sticker shock later.

I recently went to the Mercure for their seafood buffet. On the rooftop, they offered it everyweek on Fridays. I'm sure more places offer this 'One Price' option.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Hi,
Off to the Evason in a fortnight do you know whether it is any good as there are so many varying reports on tripadvisor? Also, can you recommend any good tailors to make ladies clothes nearby and any good local seafood restaurants. The weather also looks pretty dubious for the next month, is it as bad as the internet is saying?
We're still in the Dry Season, that ends officially in Mid-April. Earlier this month it rained for several days in a row, but that's the only rain I remember for quite a while. Check 'Weather Underground' for acurate historical weather and trends.

I have no experience with tailors here in Thailand. Perhaps someone else can chime in with their 2 cents.

Enjoy your visit!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
The few elephant rides I know are on the hill between Patong & Karon. I've done the one on the top that has been there for years. Basically, you hop on, get trekked up the hill and stop a fewtimes overlooking the water and view and take a few photos, then slowly saunter back to the shop. Takes about an hour or so, IIRC

The prices you posted seem about right. What season are you coming, and I can check for rates if you like.
Hi Seanthepilot, I really appreciate your help.
I will be there on my honeymoon. We are coming to Phuket from May 26 - May 29. Please let me know if your recommend a specific travel agency or location to go to in Phuket to book the trekking.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:27 pm

kamala stuff

some friends (2 couples) are going to phuket in a few days, staying at the Kamala Beach Hotel. Anything you can recommend in the immediate vicinity? I noticed Phantasea is nearby -- is that something worth exploring? Their website takes forever to load.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 3:49 am

FantaSea is a great 'one time' thing to do.

They've tried to make a little theme park (elephant rides, concessions, souveniers, etc that is so-so, and then they have the FantaSea show. The show is a little 'Review of Thailand' a few minutes of this a few of that, elephants, traditional dancing, a bit of history, etc... I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it as much as I did. When you see a show like this, you want the production to be done well, the costumes, sets, sounds, actors all need to be done perfectly. I found that they upheld the quality to what one would expect. It's the one show in Thailand that I found properly done (mind you, I haven't gone to see every production).

They offer a dinner buffet as well. I found the dinner an ok value, but the quality was cafeteria style. If you expect 4 star dinner, skip it. If you want the convenience of the dinner before the show, are OK with standard Thai/Western casual restaurant food & deserts, you'll be sufficiently satisfied.

I give the show 2 thumbs up, the theme park and buffet 1 thumbs up.

BTW, for the FantaSea show, you'll have to check your (camera and mobile phone w/camera), IIRC. It may be best to leave the camera at the hotel, unless you're the type to snap alot of shots earlier.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:23 am

Thanks! We are planning on the FantaSea show. It is a bit pricy, but since youre saying it might be fun - I think we'll check it out
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:24 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
FantaSea is a great 'one time' thing to do.

They've tried to make a little theme park (elephant rides, concessions, souveniers, etc that is so-so, and then they have the FantaSea show. The show is a little 'Review of Thailand' a few minutes of this a few of that, elephants, traditional dancing, a bit of history, etc... I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it as much as I did. When you see a show like this, you want the production to be done well, the costumes, sets, sounds, actors all need to be done perfectly. I found that they upheld the quality to what one would expect. It's the one show in Thailand that I found properly done (mind you, I haven't gone to see every production).
It sounds very much like Siam Niramit in BKK which I felt was very well put together. Have you seen it?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
It sounds very much like Siam Niramit in BKK which I felt was very well put together. Have you seen it?
I haven't seen it yet. I was wondering how it was. With your recommendation, I'll put it on my list.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:14 am

I'm looking at going to Koh Chang - do you know how easy it is to get there - and is it best to fly to Phuket first or Krabi? Also can you recommend any places to stay there?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by sarahflies
I'm looking at going to Koh Chang - do you know how easy it is to get there - and is it best to fly to Phuket first or Krabi? Also can you recommend any places to stay there?
Ko Chang (Thailand's second largest island) located in the Gulf of Siam is in Trat Province, in Eastern Thailand, about 330 kilometers southeast of Bangkok. While Phuket, Thailand’s largest island, (approximately the size of Singapore) is situated off the west coast of Thailand in the Andaman Sea. The two island are NOT close to each other. Krabi is a town on the west coast of southern Thailand at the mouth of the Krabi River into the Andaman Sea. It is close to Phuket. Please consult a good map to see where all are situated.

Ko Chang has no airport. The nearest airport is in Trat on the mainland. Koh Chang Air Taxi, however, does offer scenic seaplane service. Bangkok Airways flies two times a day from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to Trat at 0800 and 1625. The flight takes about 65 minutes. Direct door-to-door minibus transfers from Trat airport to Ko Chang resorts cost around 300 baht per person including the ferry crossing. Also, at Laem Ngob in Trat Town opposite Ko Chang there are 3 piers offering ferry service to Ko Chang:

• Ao Thammachat, the ferries depart daily at Ao Sapraros pier.
  • Center Point Pier, ferries are hourly to Dan Kao Pier.
  • Laem Ngob Pier has less frequent ferries.

Last edited by Kalboz; Apr 11, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.