Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grand Palace & Wat Phra Keo - guided tour or go on own?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;

I'm not usually one for guided tours, I typically use maps/guide books to educate myself while visiting a historic/cultural site.

I do, however, see the value in using the services of a tour guide to gain additional insight on the site's history, significance, etc.

Are the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha the kind of sites you want to visit on a guided tour?

There isn't much difference in cost ($5 or less), I'm wondering how you've visited those sites.

Thanks,
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I've done both sites both ways and would lean toward a guide at least on your first visit. Like you, I'm not a big fan of guided tours. But as you note, good guides can help you learn/enjoy a bit more, perhaps, and get more out of the experiences. (Also, the Grand Palace can be a little confusing.)

That said, however, I would absolutely avoid a large group tour. You probably can hire a guide for yourself through your hotel or just do it on the spot.

Hope you enjoy your time in Bangkok!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:43 am

The Grand Palace (Wat Phra Kaew is inside the same complex) is pretty much self contained, and I'd say with a good guide book you can take a leisurely stroll around the place by yourself.

However, if you're in that neck of the woods, it's also good to take a look at Khao San Road (good for lunch and backpacker-watching), Wat Pho (big reclining buddha) and a few other bits and pieces like the Golden Mount temple which gives a slightly elevated view of Bangkok.

While geographically close, it can mean a lot of walking or a lot of taxis/tuktuks. Arranging a day or half-day tour through the hotel which includes taking you to all these places would be a good option.

From Grand Palace, Wat Pho, I always recommend people take the regular river ferry from Tha Thien pier down to Sathorn Pier (less than $0.30), as you get a nice scenic trip of around 20 minutes, and drops you right by Saphan Thaksin BTS station.

But if you're in an expensive hotel, I'd recommend going to a smaller/cheaper guesthouse-type hotel (like Reno close to National Stadium BTS station, in Kasemsan 1) and arranging a trip from there. More likely to get a good price, and they'll still pick you up from wherever you want.

Have a great time =)
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:43 am

Go for the guide, but not with a group. I've visited the palace at least three times. While I generally prefer to wander on my own, a guide can provide something a book can't: conversation. One added benefit, and it's a chancy one, a guide might be able to get you places where no one else can. I met a couple whose guide got them inside the palace.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:37 am

I would agree with others, hire your own guide or in a very small group, whatever seems easiest/most affordable for you. Much more meaningful in all the background to the temples and palace, history, etc. E.g., the table stand miniature replica of Angkhor Wat in cement on a side court next to Emerald Buddha temple.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Private tours are the way to go.

We have used these guys www.betours.net

They did a great job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.