FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   J W Marriott, Bangkok: airport distance? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/730567-j-w-marriott-bangkok-airport-distance.html)

malgudi Aug 29, 2007 2:19 pm

J W Marriott, Bangkok: airport distance?

I stayed at the JW Marriott Bangkok the last time I was transiting and wanted to check if this is still a good option (given the new airport)?

JKD Aug 29, 2007 6:14 pm

depends on when you get in and have to leave ....

late night arrival and early morning departure from the new airport to InterContinental took just a little bit longer (InterContinental is across from Central World Plaza), but if you have to travel during rush hour, it could be a problem. I can't find the other thread talking about that ..... (do a search)

but, for short stays, billp started a nice thread:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...+airport+hotel

my preference for short overnights is the Ibis Huamark so I can get my last minute shopping done.

kkjay77 Aug 29, 2007 11:03 pm

Why not just use Novotel if you've got an late arrival and early departure?

malgudi Aug 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Arriving 11:30PM and departure next day at 8PM

Originally Posted by JKD (Post 8317139)
late night arrival and early morning departure from the new airport to InterContinental took just a little bit longer (InterContinental is across from Central World Plaza), but if you have to travel during rush hour, it could be a problem. I can't find the other thread talking about that ..... (do a search)

but, for short stays, billp started a nice thread:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...+airport+hotel

my preference for short overnights is the Ibis Huamark so I can get my last minute shopping done.

SaigonCyclo Aug 30, 2007 1:43 am

JW Marriott offers excellent access to the expressway to the airport. You pull out of Suk Soi 2 directly onto Sukhumvit, then turn right onto the expressway. It should only take 20 minutes to get to the airport at that time of the morning.

srk123 Aug 31, 2007 10:42 pm

I stayed there 8 years ago and found it to be a fantastic hotel in a great location. It was probably the nicest "vertical hotel" (not a resort style) that I've ever stayed at. It was only 5 years old then; hopefully they've kept it up to the same high standards.

transpac Sep 1, 2007 12:04 am

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo (Post 8318754)
JW Marriott offers excellent access to the expressway to the airport. You pull out of Suk Soi 2 directly onto Sukhumvit, then turn right onto the expressway. It should only take 20 minutes to get to the airport at that time of the morning.

Not exactly. Not even possible. The OP has an 8 PM departing flight and your directions are distinctly flawed. While the entrance to the tollway is tantalizingly close (a 2 minute walk), you can't get there from Soi 2 without all sorts of turns.

Coming from the airport you would exit the tollway, turn left and proceed east on Sukhumvit Road ~ 100 m., turn left on Soi 1, cut through Bumrungrad Hospital to Soi 3, turn right, back down to take a right Sukhumvit Road, then an almost immediate left onto Soi 2, and the J W Marriott. Leaving you would likely head south on Soi 2, pay 10 or 20 baht to cut through the parking lot to Soi 4, turn right on Soi 4, left on Soi 6, wind back to to turn left on Sukhumvit Road, maneuver to the far right lane and back at the Soi 3/4 intersection bear right to get on the other side of the divider, then just after Soi 1 you can turn right and get on the tollway.

For an 8 PM departure I'd probably leave the J W Marriott at 4 PM unless I was interested in possibly missing my flight. Getting to the hotel from the airport late the night before will be a breeze, 40 min. tops.

It could easily take 1 hour to get from the J W Marriott to the entrance to the tollway a mere 50 meters from the hotel, as Soi 6 gridlocks routinely. The only way through is on a motorbike taxi or on foot.

Unless I had a requirement to be in town I'd probably stay somewhere a bit closer to the airport, or at least closer to Rama 9/tollway.

sonoftheheartland Sep 1, 2007 11:24 am

Dear Transpac,

Can you not exit Soi 4 and turn left into the far right lanes of Sukhumvit so you are able to turn right into tollway entrance just past Soi 1? Or do barriers along Sukhumvit from Soi 4 to the underpass prevent that?

Thanks.

transpac Sep 1, 2007 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by sonoftheheartland (Post 8332227)
Dear Transpac,

Can you not exit Soi 4 and turn left into the far right lanes of Sukhumvit so you are able to turn right into tollway entrance just past Soi 1? Or do barriers along Sukhumvit from Soi 4 to the underpass prevent that?

Thanks.

This would technically be illegal; there is a police box right there on the corner and impossible with any traffic as there are 3~4 lanes coming down Soi 3 turning right onto both sides of the the divided Sukhumvit Road (unless you jumped/ran the light). I have seen some cars/taxis do this early in the morning but most would not, they'd go down Soi 4 turn left on Soi 6 which bends around back to Sukhumvit Road. Motorbike taxis are allowed to make this somewhat dangerous maneuver.

Since one lane of traffic is used for westbound traffic one can't hail a taxi on the far side (opposite the J W Marriott) of Sukhumvit Road; there is an elevated footbridge right in front of the J W Marriott. I guess you could walk over with any bags, then try to get a west-bound taxi to pull into one of the driveways to reverse direction? Or you could walk towards the tollway entrance and catch a cab after Soi 1?

indiahoosier Sep 2, 2007 3:32 am

I do this several times a year--my outbound flight leaves around 1830. I like to stay more in town and still get a chance to do a few things. The ride to the airport can be lengthy--just leave yourself time.

If the OPs question is comparing it to the transit to DM, there is very little difference between the two airports in transit time from the JW Marriott

sonoftheheartland Sep 2, 2007 5:04 pm

Thanks, Transpac, couldn't remember what the exact "geography" of that intersection is and whether or not police were allowing traffic out of Soi 4 to travel without being joined by traffic exiting Soi 3 as well. Am familiar with the route from Soi 4 to Soi 6 and know that it's very narrow and subject to long backups from time to time trying to get out onto Sukhumvit.

SaigonCyclo Sep 2, 2007 11:08 pm

Oops, thought the OP was leaving at 8am.

"Coming from the airport you would exit the tollway, turn left and proceed east on Sukhumvit Road ~ 100 m., turn left on Soi 1, cut through Bumrungrad Hospital to Soi 3, turn right, back down to take a right Sukhumvit Road, then an almost immediate left onto Soi 2, and the J W Marriott".

Actually a quicker way is the exit the expressway just after crossing over Sukhumvit onto Soi 0. Turn left on Soi 0, then cut through the Ploenchit Center parking lot and that brings you right to the JW Marriott. You never even have to get on Sukhumvit.

I've been able to turn onto Sukhumvit from Soi 2 and access the expressway before, but that was early in the morning when the barriers have been moved. The other option is to turn left on Sukhumvit and follow it (Ploenchit) down to Wirless Rd. Turn left on Wireless, then make a U-Turn and cross over Ploenchit. Just past the Swiss Embassy on the right side of the road, you'll see a blue expressway sign. Turn right and follow the sub-soi. It brings you out right below the Ploenchit BTS station and basically at the entrance to the expressway.

indiahoosier Sep 3, 2007 6:04 am

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo (Post 8339083)

Actually a quicker way is the exit the expressway just after crossing over Sukhumvit onto Soi 0. Turn left on Soi 0, then cut through the Ploenchit Center parking lot and that brings you right to the JW Marriott. You never even have to get on Sukhumvit.

I've been able to turn onto Sukhumvit from Soi 2 and access the expressway before, but that was early in the morning when the barriers have been moved. The other option is to turn left on Sukhumvit and follow it (Ploenchit) down to Wirless Rd. Turn left on Wireless, then make a U-Turn and cross over Ploenchit. Just past the Swiss Embassy on the right side of the road, you'll see a blue expressway sign. Turn right and follow the sub-soi. It brings you out right below the Ploenchit BTS station and basically at the entrance to the expressway.

That is the way I have always gone--that little journey down the sub-Soi is interesting, you wonder if you are going the right way or not.

mikeinseattle Sep 4, 2007 11:16 pm

Actually the fastest possible way is to cross Sukhumvit (there is a pedestrian overpass right where the JW Marriott Hotel is) and wave down a taxi from the opposite side. You are literally steps away from the Expressway. This is more feasable if you have hand carry luggage and will ensure that you are not late. You can be at the airport in approx. 25 minutes guaranteed if you use this method.

For getting to the JW Marriott, the best way is to come down Wireless Road and cross into the Ploenchit Shopping Centre directly into the JW Marriott.

Even still, there is a private hotel parking lot that charges 20 bahts around the area (don't remember the name (RAJAH/Mike's/NANA) to cut across. Apparently, this will also cut down 20 minutes from any journey that is in the opposite direction.

SaigonCyclo Sep 5, 2007 12:55 am

Originally Posted by mikeinseattle (Post 8350600)

For getting to the JW Marriott, the best way is to come down Wireless Road and cross into the Ploenchit Shopping Centre directly into the JW Marriott.

Wireless Road comes nowhere near the JW Marriott. It's on the otherside of the Expressway and past the Ploenchit BTS station (maybe 1/2 mile?). The best way is to come down Soi 0 off of the expressway and cut through the Ploenchit Center car park (as I mentioned above).