Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Siam Paragon Shopping center

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by braslvr
Yes, we tried the 'upscale' one on the 5th floor since my last post. Maybe we made bad choices on what we ordered, but I also prefer the original large food court on the 6th floor, which BTW, looks like it's going to be even bigger when the remodel is done.
The one on the 5th floor is pretty much a tourist trap anyway.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I like the Mexican food there. Not great but recognizable as Mexican which is rare in BKK. 5th Avenue in MBK is good, too.

6th floor MBK has a large food court. As far as the largest, I don't think there is a definitive answer. Largest based on one single payment point (cards)? Or conglomerate of independent vendors?
If you like Mexican food, check out Charley Brown's, off Sukhumvit Soi 19. Full Disclosure: I've been a regular customer there for over ten years.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:57 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zarkov505
If you like Mexican food, check out Charley Brown's, off Sukhumvit Soi 19. Full Disclosure: I've been a regular customer there for over ten years.
Are there any bona fide Mexican restaurants im Bangkok? I will be traveling to that city in October with a Mexican woman and would like to gauge her reaction.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a number of Mexican nationals who own/operate restaurants here.

How "bona-fide" they are? Who knows?

Coming to Bangkok for Mexican food, even "reaction gauging", seems about as fruitful as going to Mexico for Thai food?

Within Siam Paragon (sort of back on topic) you have a branch of La Monita, and the flagship Taco Bell, which has proven popular with the locals.

Charley Brown's is pretty popular with the ex-pats; I think it's been around for eons, maybe originally on Soi 11 (side-Soi)? The Chef is Mexican, I think.

https://www.facebook.com/charleybrownsmexicana/
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: TG Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

Are there any bona fide Mexican restaurants im Bangkok? I will be traveling to that city in October with a Mexican woman and would like to gauge her reaction.
try Missing Burro in Thonglor Soi 7
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:49 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH

Casa Azul over by Ari used to have a Mexican cook when I was last there in 2018. It was ok.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:12 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Appreciate your replies, 1786771 and rjh

Originally Posted by 1786771
try Missing Burro in Thonglor Soi 7
"At The Missing Burro we don’t take ourselves all that seriously, but when it comes to food, we are uncompromising, radical extremist, that won’t put in your plate something that doesn’t taste 100% like in Mexico." It's worth a visit just for that.

Originally Posted by rjh
Casa Azul over by Ari used to have a Mexican cook when I was last there in 2018. It was ok.
Come to think of it, these two countries cuisines should join forces more often...spicy mashed catfish and tacos de canasta don't have to be strangers.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of promos and reviews on Youtube for The Missing Burro...looks awesome. There are a few others like this but having trouble finding them, believe some have gone out of business. Plenty of tex-mex, cali-mex, fusion-y types about. Not sure how popular these are with Thais, other than some hi-so, except to say Taco Bell seems quite popular (they've adjusted their menu for local tastes, so they say). It's always packed when I walk by in Siam Paragon; I think there are plans to open a few more.

Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
There is one between Sukhumvit Soi 2 and Soi 4. It is near the Raja Hotel. It is a odd one as it is not on a street but sort of a short cut road between soi 2 and soi 4. When it was opened it was very good and authentic but again I have not been there to eat recently so do not know how the food is now.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dav662
There is one between Sukhumvit Soi 2 and Soi 4. It is near the Raja Hotel. It is a odd one as it is not on a street but sort of a short cut road between soi 2 and soi 4. When it was opened it was very good and authentic but again I have not been there to eat recently so do not know how the food is now.

https://themexicanbkk.com/

No clue how these sorts of places survive, other than to provide "laundry" services on the side.

Space was a biker bar before, with probies as labor.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
They do not provide laundry services on the side. I think that may be one of the biggest problems. In fact they have a board outside saying that they do not provide so and to bring your own. The competition to laundry services is too big nearby for them to even think about it. It has been there for more than a few years now so something else must be going on.
Once a week that place seems to get really packed and they have live band too.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:45 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by transpac
Lots of promos and reviews on Youtube for The Missing Burro...looks awesome. There are a few others like this but having trouble finding them, believe some have gone out of business. Plenty of tex-mex, cali-mex, fusion-y types about. Not sure how popular these are with Thais, other than some hi-so, except to say Taco Bell seems quite popular (they've adjusted their menu for local tastes, so they say). It's always packed when I walk by in Siam Paragon; I think there are plans to open a few more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEv1sZtTC0
I think the first Taco Bell was at Mercuryville. I went when they had just opened and forgot to put beef on the menu. It was pretty good for what it was.

Was at Charley Brown once last year. It was good.

I think I ate at the Mexican food truck in the ground floor food hall of Siam Paragon a few years ago and it was good as well.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.

Charley Brown's.

They hired a new head chef a while back, from Mexico. The guy's work is OUTSTANDING! It made a place that has been good for as long as I've been going there, which is quite a few years now, even better.

The owner initially set him up for a two-week trial period. First day, first meal, first BITE, and the owner told him "I've changed my mind. I don't need the trial period. You're hired, effective immediately!" I heard the story from the owner. On one of my last visits there, I tried one of the guy's specialty dishes, and I had exactly the same reaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.