Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This archived thread is closed to posting.

A detailed wikipost can be found in the current thread at
Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [2014 onward]
Print Wikipost

Catching a Taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Not to offend anyone...but why does this thread warrant 'sticky' status?
I thought the same thing but didn't mention it for not wanting to upset anyone. I personally hate sticky posts and would like to see them used as little as possible. There are almost an unlimited number of important topics and questions that get asked over and over again. If each and every one of those topics got a sticky, there'd be no space left for other posts.

What I think would be good, if it's possible, is to have a thread at the top, but separated from the rest, so it's easily distinguished, such as an announcement rather than a sticky, though the effect would be the same. In that one and only one thread you could have links to posts containing the answers to the most commonly asked questions. Make the thread title something pertinent so that newbies will click on it first to see if their questions have already been answered or not.

If this thread is going to remain, I'd personally like to see it moved to the Thailand forum rather than here, being it's not specific to TG. I don't normally recommend moving these types of posts to the Thailand forum, but if it's going to be a sticky I'd make an exception. Though that's strictly my own personal feeling about it just because I don't like sticky posts.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:04 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I am not sure how many different operators there are doing the limo (be surprised if more than one) but while waiting for my luggage a couple of weeks ago I went and asked and was told 1000 THB to the SGS on Sukhumvit.
Thanks MAN Flyer. ^
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Not to offend anyone...but why does this thread warrant 'sticky' status?
I was wondering that myself after first reading it.

How much do the prepaid limo firms charge from new BKK airport to the city (say Sukhumvit.)
AOT limo counters are next to baggage claim and also just after you pass Customs. They have several types of vehicles, the cheapest being 800 baht to SGS between Soi 12-14.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PaulKarl
If you are landing at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (airport code BKK), taking a taxi to your hotel in central Bangkok is relatively simple, but there are a few things you need to know.[/url]
Sorry, but there is a lot in this post that I disagree with.
Since I see this question asked constantly online, I am going to post a response for people to find when they do a web search for the answer.

If you are landing at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (airport code BKK), taking a taxi to your hotel in central Bangkok is relatively simple, but there are a few things you need to know. (The public taxi line is in a non-intuitive corner of the airport, and the signage leading to it is poor; I’m sure this has nothing to do with the fact that the airport authority operates a competing fleet of "limousines.")

After baggage claim and customs (you will rarely be stopped by customs if you are a Westerner in the green channel)
What I think you mean, is if you are Caucasion. They seem to stop all blacks and just about anyone who uses cardboard boxes for luggage. [They certainly don't want you bringing in highly taxed products (e.g., stereo equipment) without paying a bribe...I mean import tax [directly to the custom's official].]
, you will walk into an arrivals hall on the second floor of the airport. You will see hotel drivers holding name cards, as well as an array of airport businesses such as money changers, newsstands, coffee shops, etc., lined up against a magnificent five-storey glass wall facing the outside.

As you emerge from the baggage and customs area, various Thais – mostly women in vaguely professional-looking dresses and suits – will say “Taxi.” Ignore them. Also ignore everybody who says “hotel” or asks you where you are going or tries to get your attention. They are touts on the make.

In the arrivals hall, change a few hundred dollars, pounds or euros into Thai baht. You will receive most of your money in 1,000-baht notes (currently worth US$28.57 each), which are too large for day-to-day purchases at Thai prices. Have the money changer break one or two 1,000-baht notes into a stack of 100-baht notes.
There are ATM machines in the baggage area, as well as an exchange booth. Better to get your money there before you face the barrage of touts in the arrivals hall.

ATMs are, by far, the most convenient way of obtaining local currency in virtually every country. That said, the two-tier exchange rate will get you for about 5% if you use an ATM card. The Thai bank who processes the transaction, however, will be very appreciative (Thai banks are recording record profits as a result of the two-tier exchange rate, which was designed to stop foreign speculation on the Baht).
(The money changers accept all the major convertible currencies as well as many East Asian currencies. All of the money changers at the airport offer the same exchange rate, with no stated commission. In fact, most of the money changers throughout Bangkok offer similar rates; this is not a place like Bali with wild variations. Hotels offer poor rates, as do Islamic banks.)

Stay inside the building and go down to the first floor (by which I also mean, using the European terminology, the ground floor, the bottom floor, the floor immediately above the dirt). You reach the first floor by using escalators and, for travelers pushing luggage dollies, sloped conveyor belt-style walkways spaced at intervals throughout the hall.
Simplified: Go down one level.
Once you are on the first floor/ground floor/whatever, face the giant wall of glass that looks outside. Turn left. Walk to the end of the arrivals hall, where you will see a door into a food court. Instead of walking into the food court, turn right and walk outside.

You will be slapped by the humidity. Welcome to Thailand.
And heat, regardless of the time of day.
You will see two or three somewhat incongruous office-type desks near the curb, probably with a line of passengers in front of them. Get in line.
There are now at least two separate taxi queues in different areas outside the arrivals area (well, one level down from the arrivals area).
At the front of the line, a Thai sitting at the desk will ask you where you are going. His or her job is to determine your destination and communicate it to the taxi driver, who will speak little if any English. An English-language map printed from your hotel’s web site will help; a Thai-language map will help more.
You don't need a map. They know almost all the hotels.
The person at the desk will assign you a taxi from the line of waiting hacks. He or she will give you a red-and-black form containing, among other information, your driver’s name and license plate number. Do not tip the person at the desk (or anyone else in Thailand).
Mentioned in other responses, but tipping is most certainly the norm in Thailand, although at a very reduced percentage. But I agree the people at the desk should not be tipped.
The taxi driver will offer to stow your luggage in the trunk of the cab. Go right ahead. Thailand is not the type of place where the drivers hold the luggage for ransom.

The taxi will probably have a seat belt but no buckle to click it into. Get used to that.
So true. Never figured that one out.
The cabbie may ask if you want to take the highway. Say “Up to you.” He – most are men – will know the route with the least traffic at that specific time. The trip into the city will take about 45 minutes.
ALWAYS say take the highway (65 Baht into central Bangkok). Thais just do not place a value on time. If it will save them 5 Baht, they will sit for an hour. ALWAYS take the highway. My time is worth more than 65 baht.
The fare to central Bangkok will cost about 300 baht (US$8.57).
200 Baht to Central Bangkok (Sukhumvit/Langsuan/etc.). I live on Langsuan and it is never more than 205 Baht.
You owe an additional 50 baht (US$1.43) for the services of the airport taxi desk, payable to the driver. If the driver takes the tollway, you will owe about another 60 baht (US$1.71) in tolls. Approaching the first toll gate, I usually hand the driver a 100-baht note and say “tolls.”
Yes, but half the time the driver will keep the 35 baht change. Mistake on his part as that becomes the totality of his tip.
Do not tip the driver. Thailand is not a tipping culture.
Tip the driver. There is ferocious competition and they make very, very little. I pay 300 baht plus the tolls, so the driver gets a 50 Baht tip (200 on the meter; 50 Baht for the airport charge; 50 Baht for the driver).

Nothing to me; a lot for the driver.

Do make sure the driver turns on the meter, although I haven't had a problem from the airport in some time (to the airport is a different matter).

Some taxis have been known to have their meters rigged and you end-up with some huge fare. If in doubt, ask the doorman at your hotel how much the fare should be. If it is way off, ask the doorman to deal with the taxi driver for you.

I have only had it happen once, and it was a long time ago. The doorman ended up with the tip the driver would have gotten.

All this said, I have had fewer problems with Bangkok taxis than in a lot of other countries of the world.
Enjoy your stay in the Kingdom.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 18, 2014 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:13 am

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
I would like to add one warning to those using the official taxi queue. Those sitting behind the desk sometimes try to offer fixed fares (typically 4-500 baht), I’m sure they get a commission from the driver if getting a customer fooled into a fixed fare. Insist on going by meter!
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
I also always catch a taxi from the departure level. I always approach a driver saying 'meter' and never had any problems. It's the fastest (and cheapest) way out of the airport.
This is the way to do it. There are always a couple of cabs hanging around after dropping off passengers. The security guys always allow them to stop for a bit if they see a passenger approaching. No queues and no dispatch fee.

Never had a problem with meter not being used, nor with circuitous routes. I always tip and the drivers are always very grateful.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
As regards the "official looking" limousine touts in the arrivals area; when faced with their "where are you going" question, I make it policy to look them straight in the eyes and reply "I'm not telling you". You wouldn't answer such as question from a complete stranger in other circumstances, so don't do it at Bangkok Airport.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:56 am

Not a very advisable way to start a trip to Thailand and not a good way to conduct yourself in this particular foreign country.

You are a guest when you come to Thailand. It's not your country. Their country--their rules.

Thais are extremely non-confrontational. While quite unlikely to create a problem with the touts at the airport, it could cause you real problems elsewhere in the country.

Just smile and keep walking. You'll have a better time and avoid a lot of potential problems.

Save the "in your face" for visits to New York.

Originally Posted by rhodeswood
As regards the "official looking" limousine touts in the arrivals area; when faced with their "where are you going" question, I make it policy to look them straight in the eyes and reply "I'm not telling you". You wouldn't answer such as question from a complete stranger in other circumstances, so don't do it at Bangkok Airport.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
200 Baht to Central Bangkok (Sukhumvit/Langsuan/etc.). I live on Langsuan and it is never more than 205 Baht.
You forgot to add on the 50 Baht airport surcharge and the 65 Baht tollway charges. That would bring your total up to 320 Baht.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:32 am

What you quoted from me was only dealing with the fare on the meter, which is pretty clear if you look at the portion of the original post I was responding to. You missed later in my post where I provided the breakdown of all the costs.

I pay 300 baht plus the tolls, so the driver gets a 50 Baht tip (200 on the meter; 50 Baht for the airport charge; 50 Baht for the driver).
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Not a very advisable way to start a trip to Thailand and not a good way to conduct yourself in this particular foreign country.
I have to agree. The limo touts are simply a part of the arrival process and there's no reason to get all steamed up about it or confrontational. A simple "Mai ao krap," "No, thank you," or just a smile and a shake of the head works fine for me.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: LX Sen, SQ PPS
Here my 50 cent. I would recommend the following simple procedure:

- Go to departure level
- Leave through a gate towards the end of the hall (#6 and up - more meter friendly taxi drivers there: this is is their last chance to catch a passenger before they get ushered away by security guards)
- Just get in the cab, say hi, state the adress and get going. Pretend to be in the know - there will be no discussion on using the meter
- agree to using th highway
- if you are going to the sukhumvit area, have the cabbie leave the high-way after the first toll and ask him to take the route: Rama IX/New Petchaburi/Soi Asok (this is fast and short but many cabbies don't seem to know).

PL
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Rampo
I have to agree. The limo touts are simply a part of the arrival process and there's no reason to get all steamed up about it or confrontational. A simple "Mai ao krap," "No, thank you," or just a smile and a shake of the head works fine for me.
I would not like either of the two respondees to my earlier post in this thread to form the opinion that I am in any way advocating an angry or agressive response to the touts. I have lived in Thailand for long enough to know that a loss of personal self control is entirely counter-productive.

However, I do feel that a response of the nature that I utilise, accompanied by a smile, is an apropriate means of dealing with these un-solicited approaches. This may well be the land of smiles, but one should not overlook the fact that these touts, masquerading in "official" looking uniforms, have one purpose: to snare unwary first time arrivees and separate them from far more of their cash than is justified. Their practices should not be entertained in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by rhodeswood; Jun 28, 2007 at 12:17 am
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Originally Posted by PaulKarl
In the arrivals hall, change a few hundred dollars, pounds or euros into Thai baht. You will receive most of your money in 1,000-baht notes (currently worth US$28.57 each), which are too large for day-to-day purchases at Thai prices. Have the money changer break one or two 1,000-baht notes into a stack of 100-baht notes.
You can give a 1,000 note if you're on the tollway and they'll happily give you the change.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Next On "Fantasy Island": Taking It To The Touts

You are a guest when you come to Thailand. It's not your country. Their country--their rules.

Thais are extremely non-confrontational. While quite unlikely to create a problem with the touts at the airport, it could cause you real problems elsewhere in the country.

Just smile and keep walking. You'll have a better time and avoid a lot of potential problems. Save the "in your face" for visits to New York.
Con artists place themselves outside of civil intercourse.

As noted by a previous poster, the touts at the airport are there solely to fleece tired, disoriented novices who can't find the real taxi line (since the taxi signs are, I believe purposefully, hard to see and follow). They are entitled to NO consideration or respect.

Frankly, if every arriving passenger told them to eff off and otherwise treated them with the contempt they deserve, the touts might quit their jobs because of the (justified) harassment and be difficult to replace. I can dream, can't I?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.