Wiki Posts
Search

Best (Legit) Thai Massage in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Best (Legit) Thai Massage in BKK

In BKK last week staying at SGS in the Sukhumvit area (Soi 19). On recommendation of the hotel staff and several other guests, I went to the King and I Thai massage on Soi 12 (turn left when leaving the hotel it's a 5 minute walk). When you reach Soi 12 turn left onto it and you should see it there on your right. 300 Baht for 1 hour, 500 Baht for 2 hours.

It was not painful, but quite invigorating and relaxing. A great cure for jet lag!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 2:37 pm

Think this is a walk-up to a small lobby and counter and excellent massage in small rooms with cloth "drapes" in the doorways, on the floor(s) above.

Of course, just a bit further down the same soi is the world famous Darling Turkish Bath & Massage (way back early 1970s it was the Alaska Hotel), where the hourly rates are much higher, for some reason!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Yes, you are correct about the walkup and the cloth booths. Just down the street is a nice park (Chuvit(?) Gardens) with a real traditional teak Thai house on display, although it didn't appear you could go in it (not on Sunday, anyway).
Old Jun 3, 2007, 4:27 pm

This entry for Chuvit Gardens shows it's the property at "pak soi" Soi 10 and Sukhumvit that suffered major upheaval a few years ago, apparently approved by landowner Chuvit himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuvit_Garden
Old Jun 3, 2007, 4:30 pm

This has more detail on Chuvit himself and his questionable business practices, all around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuwit_Kamolvisit
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sonoftheheartland
Think this is a walk-up to a small lobby and counter and excellent massage in small rooms with cloth "drapes" in the doorways, on the floor(s) above.
They do have proper treatment rooms for oil massage.

Yes, this place is great value; a good compromise between the expensive hotel spas and some of the cheaper (but sleazy) establishments.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the recommendation. I get asked for good massage places and with so many I never know which to recommend. I usually drag people to Wat Pho which has a Thai Traditional Massage School where you can get a great massage.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've gone to King and I a number of times. It's one of many good simple massage places in the area. Further down the same soi is Cabbages and Condoms, a well known restaurant run by Planned Parenthood. The sign for it is pretty easy to spot, so it makes a good landmark for King and I.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 4, 2007 at 11:53 pm
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Does anyone know of the large massage establishment which is on the main road from the Chao Phraya (Skytrain follows the road)? It was recommended by the concierge at the Peninsula as a reputable and cheap place, and it was great. Trouble is I cant remember the name of it.. it was something like Happy Dreamland Massage Spa.. a big reputable, clean place, lit up at night, white/cream colored building.. maybe valet service too. They even had a website - but can't remember their exact name..

The way I got to it was get off the skytrain at the 3rd stop from the River terminus and walked a little way along the main road on the left side.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by heckler
Does anyone know of the large massage establishment which is on the main road from the Chao Phraya (Skytrain follows the road)? It was recommended by the concierge at the Peninsula as a reputable and cheap place, and it was great. Trouble is I cant remember the name of it.. it was something like Happy Dreamland Massage Spa.. a big reputable, clean place, lit up at night, white/cream colored building.. maybe valet service too. They even had a website - but can't remember their exact name..

The way I got to it was get off the skytrain at the 3rd stop from the River terminus and walked a little way along the main road on the left side.
I think you are referring to HealthLand Spa http://www.healthlandspa.com/location_sathorn.html

I've taken out-of-towners there and they liked it.....

By the way, the "main road" you are referring to is Sathorn Road

If you are coming from the ShangriLa Hotel on the river, you would take the skytrain (Taksin terminal station is very close to ShangriLa), and then pass Surasak station and then get off at ChongNonsi station which is next to Standard Chartered Bank.....then (as you say) back track on foot on the main road (Sathorn Road) and you are there

enjoy^
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, DL FO, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Update: King and I vs. Healthland massages

Just spent a long weekend here, stayed at the Shangri-La, Krungthep Wing. Fabulous and affordable.

Had a chance to try massages at both The King and I and Healthland Spa - based on recommendations from this board.

I opted for the swedish/body/traditional massage over the Thai massage - have been told Thai massage = how good are you at impersonating a pretzel.

Both were affordable (600 Baht at King and I, 300 Baht at Healthland).

I found the King and I to be a bit more intimate despite its location just off Sukhumvit. Healthland on Sathorn is in a quieter area but is more like Grand Central station once you are inside. Healthland was a bit more impersonal - they were highly impatient with me on the phone when I inquired about the different services. I was just told to make a reservation.

The massage at King and I was a bit more relaxing although nothing like a Us or Euro massage where relaxing and comfort reign supreme. A good part of the treatment was a "workout" of the kinks and knots, particularly at Healthland. As a male, Healthland uses male masseuses whereas King and I had female masseuses (with very strong thumbs!).

I'd probably prefer King and I although its a bit hard to get to from the River where the Shangri La sits.

Overall, you can't go wrong at either place
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:11 pm

We always use August Salon on Sukhumvit Road between Soi 5 & Soi 7, Downstairs there is a Hair Salon where you can get everything like manicure, Pedicure, Facial, Foot Massage, shave, Ear Cleaning and Haircut and upstairs they have it beautifully decorated, you can get your Thai or Oil Massage and Foot Massage, I like to get a relaxing Thai Massage while the wife gets her Hair done, The Manager and staff always try to remember our names and they really make us feel welcome, A lot of expats and local business men use this salon.

Well worth a visit if your in the area.

Cheers
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:32 am

Do you recommend any massage spa that is located near the Millenium Hilton BKK?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by elitevergreen
We always use August Salon on Sukhumvit Road between Soi 5 & Soi 7, Downstairs there is a Hair Salon where you can get everything like manicure, Pedicure, Facial, Foot Massage, shave, Ear Cleaning and Haircut and upstairs they have it beautifully decorated, you can get your Thai or Oil Massage and Foot Massage, I like to get a relaxing Thai Massage while the wife gets her Hair done, The Manager and staff always try to remember our names and they really make us feel welcome, A lot of expats and local business men use this salon.

Well worth a visit if your in the area.

Cheers
I've been getting manicure/pedicure/foot massage at August for a year and had no idea they had an upstairs!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Trajan
I think you are referring to HealthLand Spa http://www.healthlandspa.com/location_sathorn.html

I've taken out-of-towners there and they liked it.....

By the way, the "main road" you are referring to is Sathorn Road

If you are coming from the ShangriLa Hotel on the river, you would take the skytrain (Taksin terminal station is very close to ShangriLa), and then pass Surasak station and then get off at ChongNonsi station which is next to Standard Chartered Bank.....then (as you say) back track on foot on the main road (Sathorn Road) and you are there

enjoy^
Healthland is a favorite for my wife and I. It stays pretty busy about all day long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.