Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Floating Market, Chatuchack and other Bangkok Questions

Floating Market, Chatuchack and other Bangkok Questions

Old May 30, 07, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Safe?

Originally Posted by transpac View Post
As of 18:00 local time still waiting for decisions on the Thai Rak Thai party. The Democratic party was acquitted on all charges (election fraud related), some smaller parties hired by TRT have been dissolved.

I think a lot of people cut out of work early as much due to the holiday tomorrow and some might have planned a 4-day weekend. Traffic was a bit light but other than that things seem normal.

If TRT is found guilty that means a lot of their members will be forbidden from political involvement for five years so there is a lot riding on this decision.
http://bangkokpost.com/judgementday/index.php?id=119106

It sounds like although they banned over 100 people from politics for the next five years, there haven't really been any demonstrations or need for security? How are things today?

Worries of violence after the verdict had long faded by the time the announcement against the party was made. But even at the height of public interest on Wednesday afternoon, no more than a few hundred peaceful supporters of both parties were gathered in three spots in Bangkok - at the court and at the two parties' headquarters.

The government had amassed a security force of 13,000, none of whom was needed to keep order.

Alex
Old May 30, 07, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier
just back from Thailand

No problems should be expected, except down south due to muslim separatists. Most questions have been anwered, but since I go 3-4 times a year and just got back from a 3 week stay yesterday, here are some of my comments.
- This is the low season. You will be treated the best and given the lowest deals, if you know how to negotiate.
- There is more than one floating market. There are many local travel agents that will be a lot cheaper that can offer you inexpensive alternatives for a lot less. Maybe 1200+Bht is reasonable to floating market. I have been once and it was not what I would call a must see, but then if you have the time, go for it.
- you have to go to Chatuchak Weekend Market. Afternoons are fine. This is much better than the floating markets (as a market, as opposed to the floating market experience).
- Bed Supper Club? - I am going again in Aug and am always looking for places to go in Bangkok. Send info or a link if you have it - Is is a dance, dinner or show (or some comb)?
Old May 30, 07, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
http://bangkokpost.com/judgementday/index.php?id=119106

It sounds like although they banned over 100 people from politics for the next five years, there haven't really been any demonstrations or need for security? How are things today?

Alex
As I said in my previous posts I do not believe you will have too much to worry about, other than delays caused by increased security. TRT could whip up a maelstrom if they wanted but there's no indication that they will do do so.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstorie....php?id=119083
Old May 30, 07, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Everything seems fine to me. Streets are crowded with locals, though for tourists it's the low season. No reason not to visit. You'll get great service.

The Constitutional Tribunal exhaustively read out its entire verdict yesterday, taking fully 10 hours, with the decree of dissolution for Thai Rak Thai finally being made just before midnight. By then, everyone was too tired of listening to do anything disruptive.
Old May 30, 07, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Whew... Can't wait for Thai food tomorrow--I think my first project is going to be to try and find the place MegatopLover liked so much across the street from the Pen.

Alex
Old May 31, 07, 5:49 pm

megatoplover, thank you very much for all your advice and help with Thailand on this and other threads, it is much appreciated.
Old Jun 1, 07, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
Try and find the place MegatopLover liked so much across the street from the Pen.
Please report back if you are successful,,,,that place sounded FANTASTIC!

Best, Dave
Old Jun 5, 07, 5:20 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Pauldublin View Post
megatoplover, thank you very much for all your advice and help with Thailand on this and other threads, it is much appreciated.
My pleasure! Glad to know it's been useful.

Let me know if any of you have found and tried the restaurant across from the Pen. I had dinner there last week. It was, as always, arroy arroy (very delicious). Dinner for three, including a large Singha for sharing and a whole snapper in tamarind sauce (whole fish dishes get pricey, relatively speaking), came to around 500 baht. Zero ambiance, unless you count the experience of dining on the street-- which is, indeed, part of Bangkok's charm, in my book. Looking forward to going back before long.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Jun 5, 07 at 5:31 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: