Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:32 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Great info. Have you considered creating a wikipost?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
All three providers have announced and even begun to implement eSIM support.

Getting detailed information has proved challenging to me, but based on a quick scan of Thai social media (where service providers participate) it seems like TrueMove H and DTAC definitely offer eSIM support, at least in Bangkok.

AIS seems to be pushing the eSIM combined with the physical Sim2Fly combination, the SIM2Fly is used for data when roaming outside Thailand.

eSIM SIM2Fly

Whether one needs to be post-paid is unclear. Whether one needs to purchase an Xs or Xr from the provider to enable this feature is also unclear.

My advice: stop by an AIS full-service shop in a large mall, like Siam Paragon, and ask.
SIM2FLy is a weird product for an iPhone / Samsung now that all three players have perfectly good Wifi Calling and WiFi texting. I am sitting in Curacao at the moment and my True Prepaid and AIS postpaid are logged in and ready to rock. Free incoming and outgoing charged as if I were in BKK. SIm2Fly only makes sense if you have a device that is not compatible. DTAC AIS Cannot link TrueMove because as usual the English part of the website is a mess.
Also their English speaking call center is not 24 hours. English support is n/a after hours.

I still favor AIS over DTAC and DTAC over True. Having said that True did a very aggressive LTE rollout. Objectively True is better than DTAC. AIS is king because great English support 24 x 7. Broad support for wifi calling on many devices, even prepaid, IPv6, solid enough LTE.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SIM2FLy is a weird product for an iPhone / Samsung now that all three players have perfectly good Wifi Calling and WiFi texting.

My traditional voice and SMS requirements are relatively minimal when traveling, but I do use DTAC Call. I think their WiFi-calling app is the most open (prepaid and postpaid, any phone make/model), and you can manage up to five different DTAC numbers. A lot of people here can't get traditional mobile service in some locations (like high rise buildings), but if they have WiFi this app is important. And when traveling anywhere in the world, with access to WiFi, you pay your normal domestic rate for calls (in my case, free up to 500 minutes per month).

I usually get a traveling SIM, like Sim2Fly, when traveling from Thailand for mobile data use (including messaging and calling via LINE) as it is easy, inexpensive and there is no requirement to sort out a SIM on arrival.

The ranking by customers base is AIS, TrueMove H and DTAC, with DTAC shedding customers at an increased pace. They have lost some spectrum but have regained some of that recently.

SIM2FLY the best-value roaming SIM for everyone!

SIM GO! Inter

???????????????????? ??????????????????????????? TRAVEL SIM by TrueMove H ?????? ??? | TrueMove H

AIS 4G VoWiFi Voice over WiFi

dtac call: Bundles all numbers in one phone

WiFi Calling App Extends Mobile Signal by TrueMove H TrueMove H ? Mobile Package, Devices, and Deals
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I always use True. I go to Thailand twice (maybe 3) times a year.

When you are topping up, you are extending the expiry by 1 month, no matter how much you top up. To extend it out further, I go to a True shop, where they have the top up machines. I put in my number and then top with 10 baht. This extends it one month. I repeat until I hit 12 months. Which is normally about 60THB.

The advantage is that my phone number doesn't expire.
With True, if you install the True iservice app and activate it (you might need to do that in Thailand, but once it's done you can use it in the US with your own SIM installed) you can top up remotely within the app using US credit card, etc. Charge is an international charge. The minimum amount appears to be 20THB in the pre-selected amounts.

Tourist SIMs can only be extended by 90 days.

This only started working fairly recently .. I used to have to ask somebody to go top up for me 10THB 3x every few months with my old tourist SiM .. now I can just do it myself remotely.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 26, 2018 at 11:24 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:23 am

One thing is that they don't always speak great English.
After paying for my sim card, I paid and asked the girl to give my change in smaller bills.
She understood this to mean, I want to top-up with my change. WTH?
No refunds, so I had more minutes/data than I needed.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by superbobbay
One thing is that they don't always speak great English.
After paying for my sim card, I paid and asked the girl to give my change in smaller bills.
She understood this to mean, I want to top-up with my change. WTH?
No refunds, so I had more minutes/data than I needed.
Haha, only in 2 places are they supposed to speak English well in Asia: Hong Kong, Singapore.
But many times there will also be miscommunication because their English varies.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always recommend visiting one of the three service provider's (AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H) massive shops in Siam Paragon, obviously where that is feasible. In these shops they have English-language competent staff, just make that choice at the ticket queue machine. Sometimes though the wait-time might be longer as there may only be one desk for ferners.

I assume the staff at the airport locations - and there seem to be more shops now inside the baggage claim area in addition to the large shops outside Customs on level 2 - are competent in English?

Any old shop, and/or the call centers, may not be so proficient.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by transpac
I assume the staff at the airport locations - and there seem to be more shops now inside the baggage claim area in addition to the large shops outside Customs on level 2 - are competent in English?
They are, I have had no problems speaking English with them.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
My wife and I both have DTAC SIMs. Hers is a tourist SIM, mine isn't. Both can be topped up for a full year in advance.

However the DTAC app also allows logging on via Facebook's app platform, and so can be accessed when not in Thailand. The app provides balance check, and top-up via credit card, which in my experience works just fine.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
SIM card arriving at Phuket?

We're going as a family to Thailand: just over a week in Phuket, and then Bangkok (12 days total). Getting local SIM cards appears to make sense, although roaming charges for Chinese SIMs are pretty reasonable, over that period for the two of us, they will add up. We'll be arriving around 18:00 on a Saturday to HKT. Will we able to get SIM cards at the airport? If so, will the counters be after clearing immigration? If not, what would be our options (we are staying at HI Mai Khao). And what will be approximate costs (basic package/ fairly light use)?

thanks!

tb
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very quick search seems to indicate all three major providers offer Touristy-SIMs at HKT. ~600 baht.

14/15-day options are available.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...urist-sim.html

scroll down, where to buy, airports, Phuket, see terminal map, expect AIS and TrueMove H are in that same general area?

Yes, a SIM purchased in Phuket will work everywhere in Thailand, including Bangkok.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Thanks! Flying CZ, arriving in Terminal 1, is that a trek to terminal 2?

tb
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Haha, only in 2 places are they supposed to speak English well in Asia: Hong Kong, Singapore.
But many times there will also be miscommunication because their English varies.
English as a second language is no longer mandatory on Hong Kong English skills are in decline, even among college graduates. The Philippines are a part of Asia and have good coverage.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
With True, if you install the True iservice app and activate it (you might need to do that in Thailand, but once it's done you can use it in the US with your own SIM installed) you can top up remotely within the app using US credit card, etc. Charge is an international charge. The minimum amount appears to be 20THB in the pre-selected amounts.

Tourist SIMs can only be extended by 90 days.

This only started working fairly recently .. I used to have to ask somebody to go top up for me 10THB 3x every few months with my old tourist SiM .. now I can just do it myself remotely.

-David
Thanks for the heads up!
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Tourist card extension

Hello,
How complicated/expensive is it to extend tourist SIM Cards beyond the original period ?
We would like to buy an 8-day card then extend it if necessary.
We'll only be using it for Internet access when no wifi is available.
Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.