Reload this Page >

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It is a combination of phone and network. However there is a carrier-specific configuration that is pushed onto the phone and activated depending on which SIM card is inserted. You can see this in settings->General->About, look for "carrier" and notice a name and version number in that field.

So when you have your Verizon SIM card in there, the phone gets configured to force tethering traffic over a separate APN to which Verizon can attach special behaviors. T-Mobile does the same thing but the special behaviors are less onerous. Other carriers have their own policies reflected in their own specific iPhone carrier settings.

This is the same mechanism by which an LTE connection shows as "LTE" when I have my T-Mobile USA SIM card in the phone, but "4G" when I have my DTAC one in there.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:24 pm

Anyone wanting to extend validity of their True sim pay as you go can use these codes to extend.

Get 30 days 2 THB dial *934*30#
Get 90 days 6 THB dial *934*90#
Get 180 days 12 THB dial *934*180#
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:39 pm

TrueMove is preferred as it allows for login to the True wifi if it is available, does not utilize the data quota when connected to True wifi.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
I believe DTAC does the same (logon to DTAC wifi if available)
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jc777
TrueMove is preferred as it allows for login to the True wifi if it is available, does not utilize the data quota when connected to True wifi.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I believe DTAC does the same (logon to DTAC wifi if available)
So does AIS - log onto AIS Super WiFi which is available in many, many areas.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All three providers have WiFi networks, or affiliations, and offer WiFi on some/many plans.

AIS and TrueMove H probably have the most hotspots nationally - DTAC has a smattering.

That said, public WIFI here is, to my mind, useless. I NEVER switch my phone off LTE (where I see 100/70 Mbps) unless at home where FTTH gives 200/100 Mbps; it's too much of hassle: lower speeds/higher contentions, log-ins, limited range if you're on the move (even walking). I guess if you have a limited mobile data allocation then it's worth the hassles?

Anyone wanting to extend validity of their True sim pay as you go can use these codes to extend.

All three providers offer expiry extensions via USSD codes and costing 2 baht/30 days; there may be some conditions (90 days on service, 200 baht top up etc.).

It's probably easier, and equal in cost, to just do up to twelve (12) 10-baht top-ups (10 baht balance plus 2 baht fee) for 144 baht - each top-up yields an additional 30 days of expiry, and 120 baht balance, which gives ~ 360 days expiry for 24 baht in add'l fees. Just look for the orange Boonterm top-up machines everywhere. Some providers may invoke the 90-day usage requirement, and some "Tourist-y" SIMs have a max. 90-day expiry.

I did notice a TrueMove H kiosk in the baggage claim area of SBIA/BKK last night. Outside of Customs, I did see that DTAC has a kiosk adjacent to their booth.

Last edited by transpac; Jul 6, 2018 at 6:43 am
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by transpac
That said, public WIFI here is, to my mind, useless. I NEVER switch my phone off LTE (where I see 100/70 Mbps) unless at home where FTTH gives 200/100 Mbps; it's too much of hassle: lower speeds/higher contentions, log-ins, limited range if you're on the move (even walking). I guess if you have a limited mobile data allocation then it's worth the hassles?
Never had any problems whatsoever with AIS public wifi (or any other public wifi in Thailand.)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:29 am

I switched over to Line Mobile in January and never looked back. Anyone can register for a sim card, completely online and it's delivered in 2-3 days. Rates are significantly cheaper than the other prepaid options, and even if you go with the small 5gb plan, once you go past that, it's unlimited 3G. You also get a 10% discount when paying your bill through Line Pay, but foreign credit cards work just fine.

https://th.linemobile.com/en/r/r3mvkv
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SirJman
I switched over to Line Mobile in January and never looked back.
LINE Mobile is a brand of DTAC, that is, DTN has licensed the LINE "brand" as a sort of low-priced channel of distribution. So the network is DTAC. The regulatory agency, NBTC, was all over DTAC when they launched this service, but seem to have backed off since. There was some confusion re: LINE Mobile being initially seen as an MVNO, which they are not.

They offer significant discounts and occasionally offer HUGE discounts. So right now, the 40 GB/600 min plan is discounted to 329 from 1,099.

It is a postpaid service; I'm not sure what documentation (passport/Thai ID, WP. etc.) they require. DTAC is set to lose a significant portion (850 MHz and 1800 MHz) of their spectrum at the end of September. You can port in (MNP) an existing number. I don't know if VoLTE or VoWiFi (DTAC Call) work with LINE Mobile? And they don't offer roll-over. All of which I get with my current DTAC post-paid plan.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obile.th&hl=th

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ac.wificalling
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by transpac

They offer significant discounts and occasionally offer HUGE discounts. So right now, the 40 GB/600 min plan is discounted to 329 from 1,099.

It is a postpaid service; I'm not sure what documentation (passport/Thai ID, WP. etc.) they require.
Yes, technically postpaid, but you can cancel at any time so it's as good as prepaid in my mind. I've bought 3 cards for travelling family members in the last 6 months. You just login and do the online chat to cancel the number.

For foreigners, only a copy of the passport and a photo of the holder physically holding it. No residency requirement or 'fingerprint'
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Is it possible to convert an AIS prepaid SIM to an esim in the iPhone XS? Apple’s site says AIS supports esim but I can’t find info on their site about prepaid.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 18, 2018 at 3:52 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All three providers have announced and even begun to implement eSIM support.

Getting detailed information has proved challenging to me, but based on a quick scan of Thai social media (where service providers participate) it seems like TrueMove H and DTAC definitely offer eSIM support, at least in Bangkok.

AIS seems to be pushing the eSIM combined with the physical Sim2Fly combination, the SIM2Fly is used for data when roaming outside Thailand.

eSIM SIM2Fly

Whether one needs to be post-paid is unclear. Whether one needs to purchase an Xs or Xr from the provider to enable this feature is also unclear.

My advice: stop by an AIS full-service shop in a large mall, like Siam Paragon, and ask.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:38 am

I always use True. I go to Thailand twice (maybe 3) times a year.

When you are topping up, you are extending the expiry by 1 month, no matter how much you top up. To extend it out further, I go to a True shop, where they have the top up machines. I put in my number and then top with 10 baht. This extends it one month. I repeat until I hit 12 months. Which is normally about 60THB.

The advantage is that my phone number doesn't expire.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I do something similar from the DTAC app. They have credit card based refills. Do one or two 50 baht refills per day for a few days and I am good to go for many more months. The max out one can go is a year.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The maximum prepaid expiry here for "standard" SIMs is 365/366 days; tourst-y SIMs may have a shorter expiry, like 90 days.

Most providers have a 90-day usage requirement, which may or may not be enforced.

There are many, many, many methods to extend expiry - all of which have been detailed within this thread multiple times. Individual top-ups, for as little as 10 baht each yield 30 days.

There are top-up machines everywhere, they are easy to use, and a 10 baht top-up costs 12 baht, so 144 baht for 360 days, with 120 baht credit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boon...w=1920&bih=938

DTAC does allow for expiry extension via USSD or IVR methods, with some "rules. This feature may be embedded in the DTAC app? Or available on the web-management portal?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/login

DTAC Call is also an interesting app, offering WiFi calling and management of multiple numbers. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ac.wificalling

Jai Dee Services | dtac

See "Day-Giveaway", essentially 2 baht fee for every 30 days.

dtac prepaid self-service numbers | dtac

TrueMove H used to have a similar scheme, Validity Extension Service for Prepaid Customers by TrueMove H TrueMove H ? Mobile Package, Devices, and Deals

AIS also has something similar (Mao Mao) but not really the same - +30 days with some calling credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.