Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by estnet
I have a true sim that says it is good for one year, but I have been told it has to be used every 90 days or it expires! I can't use it in the US as it does not pick up any network - so it sounds as if I should get a different sim next time I'm in Thailand?
1-2Call does not require you use every 90 days. I was last in Bkk Sept 2008 and didn't return until late July 2009. Upon arrival, popped in my card and connected right away.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by lomatopo
You can check your balance on line, and perform quite a few other activities, but you need to be able to receive a one-time password on your phone.

Go to http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Conte...eOne2Call.html
I am on Sawadee Mae Yok. Tried to get a pwd via the link above but says service down.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
since we are talking about 1-2 call,

has anyone set up a prepaid smart phone data account ?

is it by the day , month or amount of MBs used ?

I just wanted to be able to check emails etc , not heavy web use,

thanks

Rally
Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:40 pm

With a One-2-Call pre-paid SIM you can use GPRS/EDGE (assuming your phone is capable). You can use it anytime for 1 baht/min, or you can sign up for a monthly plan:

3 hours 30 THB
6 hours 50 THB
20 hours 100 THB
100 hours 250 THB
Unlimited 999 THB

http://www2.mobilelife.co.th/interne...hp?nServID=208

You can subscribe to these packages via service messages (in the link), example, for 20 hours: *138*0333# Send Or you can call *138 and listen to the choices, or you can call 1175 for customer service. You can check current mobileLife package (SMS, MMS, GPRS, WiFi) usage with *139# Send.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:43 pm

Try *777# Send to see which calling plan you have. Unless you topped up quite a few times you might be on one of the Sawasdee SIM plans. I think the government asked all operators to offer inexpensive 365 day validity plans as a form of consumer protection.

Validity varies by both calling plan and top-up amount, as indicated in the table I linked to in a previous post.

You can check your balance on line, and perform quite a few other activities, but you need to be able to receive a one-time password on your phone.

Go to http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Conte...eOne2Call.html

Choose "Online Services", enter your phone number 08xNNNXXXX, wait for the one-time password to be delivered to your phone as an SMS, then log-in. You can then check your balance and validity. You can originate SMSes as well, change promotions, enable international roaming, add data (GPRS/EDGE) plans, etc.
Anyone had success with this in the past few days?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Anyone had success with this in the past few days?
Perhaps the SMS password cannot be successfully delivered outside the network (to a SIM currently registered with the network as being outside Thailand)?

Since I am currently in Thailand I cannot test this. But it does work (as of 30 seconds ago) fine in Thailand. Note that this temporary password is different from the one associated with your mobileLife account and the SMS Toolbar feature (allows you to originate SMSes from a browser or Outlook).
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
A very useful thread.

I arrived on Sun pm and the 12Go sim I used in Mar would not function. I presumed that I was on a plan that required quarterly usage and that it had expired - no problem, I purchased another.

However, my son's sim that he used in Jul still works fine (my other son is using that phone).

I'll now confirm that my recently purchased sim will survive until my wife travels in Dec... or change plans so that it does

Cheers, TK
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
With a One-2-Call pre-paid SIM you can use GPRS/EDGE (assuming your phone is capable). You can use it anytime for 1 baht/min, or you can sign up for a monthly plan:

3 hours 30 THB
6 hours 50 THB
20 hours 100 THB
100 hours 250 THB
Unlimited 999 THB
http://www2.mobilelife.co.th/interne...hp?nServID=208

looks interesting , does 1-2 call seem to be the company for data ?

I know True "says" they will have 3G data......but TIT

Rally
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by dtsm
1-2Call does not require you use every 90 days. I was last in Bkk Sept 2008 and didn't return until late July 2009. Upon arrival, popped in my card and connected right away.
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I arrived on Sun pm and the 12Go sim I used in Mar would not function. I presumed that I was on a plan that required quarterly usage and that it had expired - no problem, I purchased another.

However, my son's sim that he used in Jul still works fine (my other son is using that phone).
As Thai-Kiwi writes, some 1-2-call SIM cards DO require top up or incoming/outgoing call every 90 days, I am 100% sure of this. It depends on the SIM and the plan that SIM is on. Both of my SIM cards have this restriction (you cannot go any 90-day period without either making a call, receiving a call, or topping up). One is a 5-year old 1-2-call SIM and one is a newer Sawasdee plan SIM. Only a call to AIS (02) 271-9000 can tell you the restrictions of your particular SIM. You can call using Skype or a calling card +662-271-9000 but then they will ask you your current balance and approx last top up date and amount in order to verify that you are the owner of the SIM.

*121# (if you have enabled roaming) just gives you the current balance and expiration of that balance, it does not say anything about the "call or top-up every 90 days" restriction that some SIM cards have.

When I am in USA for extended periods longer than 90 days, I pre-purchase a few 50 baht top-up cards so I can keep from going 90 days without topping up the SIMs. I always have some on hand.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:22 am

I was totally unaware of One-2-Call's requirement of an incoming/outgoing call or a top-up in a 90 day period. Evidently most SIM's and associated calling plans have this term. You can check yours, *777 Send, then press 1 for English and 3 for the details of your current plan. Towards the end of that they say something like, "AIS reserves the right to cancel service if no calls are made/received and no top-ups." I think the Sawasdee SIM does not have this requirement. So provided you'll be outside the country for 90+ days maybe call your number and answer/hang-up, or carry a top-up card or have someone top up your number. Or drop an email to [email protected] to request the details of your plan and options for keeping the number live.

True seems to offer an option to pay 3 baht every 30 days to keep a number live. This is not automatic, but requires the user to make this option via the phone or perhaps on their website.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:32 am

Just tried both:

*121#
*777*

Both worked from stateside and gave me a correct update.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: most of them
I ended up going with DTAC when I was there. I had an unlocked phone already. So I just went to the DTAC store at Siam Paragon and got the prepaid Happy SIM card. Cost Bt49 plus I added 200 for airtime. I think my plan was Bt1 per minute for local calls. I also had it set up to allow me to use it when I was in Vietnam. It worked in Hanoi, but when I was in Hue and Hoi An I couldn't get service.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:17 pm

Thumbs up Frequent flyer

For a frequent business flyer sometimes a toll free telephone number will work just fine because they have this call rerouting features to reach you wherever you are.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by jasonseagers
For a frequent business flyer sometimes a toll free telephone number will work just fine because they have this call rerouting features to reach you wherever you are.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, jasonseagers!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Anyone have experience with 3G service - speeds/best service and daily plans?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.