Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Old Apr 7, 19, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by yann View Post
Hello,
How complicated/expensive is it to extend tourist SIM Cards beyond the original period ?
We would like to buy an 8-day card then extend it if necessary.
We'll only be using it for Internet access when no wifi is available.
Thanks in advance.
Not difficult. Normally they get extended every time you pay to "top up" (add credits), which you can do at e.g. 7-11. Different providers also have different codes you can you can enter to deduct existing credits to extend directly, but you'll have to google your specific provider (TRUE, DTAC, AIS) to see what codes and how to do that.
Old Apr 7, 19, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most SIMs' expiry can be extended by simply making a top-up. For normal SIMs a single 10 baht top-up at a machine (found outside every convenience store) adds 30 days expiry, with a fee of 2 baht, so 12 baht in total. The act of topping up does not necessarily extend the enclosed data plan. Keycodes (USSD) for extending expiry often have additional requirements, like being a customer for at least 90 days, which you may not meet.

How many days, beyond the original eight were you planning on extending?

The challenges become: adding the proper amount of money, and extending the data plan, or subscribing to a new one.

Some Tourist SIMs actually have 30 days expiry, but have 7, 8 15 day expiry on the mobile data portion. AIS for example...

AIS TRAVELLER SIM

You can also add one day, 10 days internet for a fee taken from your balance.

There are also gazillions of daily plans available for re-subscription.

The simplest solution might be to get a 15-day tourist SIM, or a standard SIM add value, subscribe to a single 30 day plan.

Did you have a provider in mind?
Were you planning on getting this SIM at the airport on arrival?
How many extra days?
Any budget considerations or limitations?
Old Apr 7, 19, 9:05 pm

I extended both my sims at the AIS shop in Terminal 21 , there is a top up machine , you just keep throwing 20 baht bills in it and the whole 20 baht is added to your account and also extended 1 month ,

You can only extend up to 12 months , I assume you could come back in 11 months and do it again ,

And the staff cannot do it on their tablets , they were the ones that showed me how to do it at the top up machine , one month at a time !