Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SIM registration deadline moved to Dec 15

The telecom regulator will extend for another 45 days, until Dec 15, the deadline for mobile operators' franchise dealers and retail shops to use the new SIM registration with a biometric verification...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...oved-to-dec-15
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by transpac
SIM registration deadline moved to Dec 15

The telecom regulator will extend for another 45 days, until Dec 15, the deadline for mobile operators' franchise dealers and retail shops to use the new SIM registration with a biometric verification...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...oved-to-dec-15
"The NBTC does not want to track customers or violate their privacy," he said. "The new registration system is aimed at creating a greater security benefit for users through mobile services, especially mobile banking."

Huh ?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: most of them
I used Flexiroam's service in Thailand for the first time on my recent visit. I wonder how these regulations would effect their service since they are basically buying data on the local cell providers' networks
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I used Flexiroam's service in Thailand for the first time on my recent visit. I wonder how these regulations would effect their service since they are basically buying data on the local cell providers' networks
I don't think the "authorities" have thought that far ahead (i.e. roamers). I think they just want to clamp down on any local dissent and be able to track down any trouble-makers and make examples of them. Probably best not to say more.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

For some reason on my browser, old threads don't show the later posts, but I think I will see them if I post a reply. So sorry everyone, trying that now.

Yeah that worked, sorry it was necessary. Has the long line situation for buying tourist SIMs improved; i.e., is it now easiest to buy at the airport?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 26, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
For some reason on my browser, old threads don't show the later posts, but I think I will see them if I post a reply. So sorry everyone, trying that now.

Yeah that worked, sorry it was necessary. Has the long line situation for buying tourist SIMs improved; i.e., is it now easiest to buy at the airport?
Took me 5 minutes at the airport two weeks ago. There were stands right next to the baggage claim, so if you got fast track through immigration, you can get a SIM card and have it configured before your luggage even shows up on the belt. Only annoyance was the AIS stand (possibly the others) only did cash. Not a big deal since there are money exchange and ATM on the other side of the baggage claim.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Not only is it faster, but it's so much easier. The last time I purchased a tourist SIM (not top-off) intown the first person had no idea how to install it and it took the second person forever. At the airport they do it quickly because they do so many of them and if there is a problem there are a half dozen other clerks to help out. One time I got stuck behind a large Korean tour group, so I just moved over to the next counter and was out in seconds.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw an AIS stand in the int'l baggage claim area, but didn't notice TrueMove H or DTAC (they may well be there somewhere?).

TrueMove H has a few automated KIOSKs at their shop on level 2, outside ARRIVALS (and door #4). I think the queues vary based on the number of arrivals? All were quite long this past Tuesday, ~ 06:45.

Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Does anyone know which prepaid SIM allows our phone to be used as a wifi hotspot? Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by bensim
Does anyone know which prepaid SIM allows our phone to be used as a wifi hotspot? Thanks.
I don't know the answer to your question, but have you had experiences with SIM cards that do not allow wifi hotspot? In my experience, it's the phone that blocks the hotspot functionality.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by bensim
I have gotten SIM cards from True, DTAC, and AIS, all allowed your phone to be used as a hot spot as long as your phone allowed it. It isn't blocked by the carriers, as CrazyInteg mentioned.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I don't know the answer to your question, but have you had experiences with SIM cards that do not allow wifi hotspot? In my experience, it's the phone that blocks the hotspot functionality.
Not particularly relevant to this specific discussion but Verizon in the US does not allow you to use your phone as a wifi hotspot unless you pay them an extra monthly fee. So I will politely disagree that it's "the phone" that blocks that functionality.

Back on topic, AIS will most certainly allow it in Thailand.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Not particularly relevant to this specific discussion but Verizon in the US does not allow you to use your phone as a wifi hotspot unless you pay them an extra monthly fee. So I will politely disagree that it's "the phone" that blocks that functionality.

Back on topic, AIS will most certainly allow it in Thailand.
I believe that is a carrier branded phone along with network settings that blocks that - my friend had the issue with his Verizon phone going into Thailand until he forced a reset of the network settings, then it worked fine. Even in Thailand, it prompted him to unlock by visiting Verizon.com. Connecting back to the network in the states, it popped up with a message that he needed to pay for mobile hotspot from Verizon. Carrier subsidized phones are not as common outside of the US though. Data is data, my opinion is that US carriers are just gouging people to pay for mobile hotspot capability.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
I believe that is a carrier branded phone along with network settings that blocks that - my friend had the issue with his Verizon phone going into Thailand until he forced a reset of the network settings, then it worked fine. Even in Thailand, it prompted him to unlock by visiting Verizon.com. Connecting back to the network in the states, it popped up with a message that he needed to pay for mobile hotspot from Verizon. Carrier subsidized phones are not as common outside of the US though. Data is data, my opinion is that US carriers are just gouging people to pay for mobile hotspot capability.
Sorry, that's incorrect. I purchased my phone with single payment - unlocked, without a SIM, for easier use overseas - directly from Apple so it is not a "carrier branded" phone. The hotspot restriction is a Verizon policy.

When I'm in Thailand and I put my AIS SIM card in - automatically allows for WiFi hotspot. When I go back to the US and put my Verizon SIM card in - no hotspot capability.

(Verizon is gouging people for hotspot capability; when I had T-mobile there was no such restriction. Same phone.)
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Sorry, that's incorrect. I purchased my phone with single payment - unlocked, without a SIM, for easier use overseas - directly from Apple so it is not a "carrier branded" phone. The hotspot restriction is a Verizon policy.

When I'm in Thailand and I put my AIS SIM card in - automatically allows for WiFi hotspot. When I go back to the US and put my Verizon SIM card in - no hotspot capability.

(Verizon is gouging people for hotspot capability; when I had T-mobile there was no such restriction. Same phone.)
I thought it was a combination of the phone and network - Just network settings of a greedy US carrier blocking that, then. Good to know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.