Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:03 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
My predictions, based on no facts, just my experience here:

After the deadline passes, not much will have changed. Things may tighten in the short term, and some numbers disconnected.

But, in a year from now, it will all be back to the same loosely enforced rules, and a sim card available without full registration.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:52 am

Has there seen anything lately about needing to have a 3G phone ?

last year there was talk that older 2G phones were not going to work anymore ,

I still use an old 2G Motorola flip phone for calling and also have a smartphone with a data sim card ,

The flip phone gets dropped a lot at work and keeps working , something I could not do with a smartphone !
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DTAC still has quite a lot of 2G/GSM 1800 spectrum deployed, so assuming your unlocked GSM phone supports that frequency you might be best off with DTAC. This concession runs until 2018.

TrueMove H is still hanging on to some 2G/GSM 1800, but honestly not sure how long this might last. This concession was supposed to end in 2013 but has been given a lifeline or three.

I think AIS's 2G/GSM900 concession is due to end sometime this year (2015).

You could try AIS or DTAC.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Informpage
To answer my own question, True still has a the free Sims at the airport to grab and go. They come with free 20mb (good for the ride from the airport to town) then hit up 7-11 and top up 200bhat for 7 days of "unlimited" (1gig) of data on the 3G network. Step up to 350 that for 15 days, 1.5gigs and use of their WiFi network.

The lines at all the kiosks at the airport were enormous, the grab and go solves that nicely. Once we have to register, it'll be impossible to get a sim at the airport IMHO.
Could one also just take the grab and go to the 7-11 in the airport basement? (On the way to the Novotel)
Old May 22, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA, HH
renting wifi device or prepaid SIM card

I'll be travelling around SEA for a month and want to have data access. I'm trying to figure out whether renting a wifi device (like in Japan) is the best option in Thailand with my US mobile or if I should use my GSM international phone and get a SIM card.

Is there a company that's best for either of these? And does anyone know the cost on a per MB or unlimited basis.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For Thailand, (and even Malaysia, Singapore) it is probably easiest to get a local SIM in each country.

Assuming your phone is unlocked, can accept a SIM, supports 3G (850/2100 MHz) and/or 4G (2100 MHz) you can get a SIM here in Thailand for 50 THB (less than two USD) and 1 GB of data for 200 baht (~ 7 USD).

There are hundreds of data/calling plan options, some include WiFi (available in many public places), so it really just comes down to your requirements.

You can get a "traveler/tourist" SIM, which is all-inclusive, or just buy a SIM, add value, then subscribe to a data plan.

You can get a SIM at the airport on arrival, or at any one of a billion shops.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/visitin...veller-en.aspx

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...-packages.html

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/s...try/2258?ln=en
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One week to go: deadline for mandatory prepaid SIM card registration

http://tech.thaivisa.com/mandatory-s...tration/12631/
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I'm trying to follow the thread. I understand there are 3 companies to choose from: dtac, AIS, and truemove H.

Besides for price, are there differences between them that would mean choosing one over the other (reliability, etc.)?

I take it all 3 operate stores just outside customs 24/7?

Is it normal to charge for incoming calls/SMS in Thailand? (It seems dtac does, but unclear about the other 2.)

Can anyone help point to international calling rates for these prepaid options?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm trying to follow the thread. I understand there are 3 companies to choose from: dtac, AIS, and truemove H. YES.

Besides for price, are there differences between them that would mean choosing one over the other (reliability, etc.)? Some minor differences, maybe I'd rank them TrueMove H, DTAC then AIS. TrueMove H and DTAC have the most spectrum, and 4G (2100 MHz).

I take it all 3 operate stores just outside customs 24/7? YES.

Is it normal to charge for incoming calls/SMS in Thailand? (It seems dtac does, but unclear about the other 2.) NO. Calling party pays, for all calls, carriers.

Can anyone help point to international calling rates for these prepaid options?

Int'l calling rates vary but lowest cost (00600 TrueMove H, low cost (006 TrueMove H) and standard cost. AIS and DTAC have similar schemes.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/s...aid/entry/2269
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

transpac, thanks so much! Can I expect them to speak English and understand the pricing schemes when I get there (to the store)?

I'm looking for data (preferably 4G, no more than 1GB needed) for 2 weeks and probably about 100 min worth of calling to Israel and USA. (Don't need SMS I presume and likely little domestic calling.)

Seems I should expect to pay somewhere between 300-400 baht?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems I should expect to pay somewhere between 300-400 baht?

I guess it would depend on the exact calling service(s) used for Int'l LD, local calls, and getting the exact data plan which meets your requirements.

Two weeks means you really have to go for a 30 day plan, or two, one-week plans, which would require extra management and subscription.

Maybe closer to 600-800 baht all in?

You could get the DTAC Happy Tourist Light User SIM/plan for 429 baht, then add more value to cover your calls. Local calls are 1 baht/min, using 004 would be 2.5 baht/min to USA and 4 baht/min to Israel. All exclusive of 7% VAT.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...-packages.html

Or you could try to get a SIM, add value, then subscribe to the appropriate data plan.

1.5 GB/30 days, 199 baht, for example: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...t-package.html

At the airport I think they'll speak English, but the lines can be long there. You can buy a SIM and add value pretty much anywhere.

Just found this 15-day, 599 baht Touristy SIM: http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytouristsim

http://www.dtac.co.th/cms-storage/ha...urist_sim.jpeg
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Don't waste too much time at the airport if the lines are long. When you get to the city you can get a SIM from most convenience stores like 7/11, Family Mart etc. Not difficult at all.

Transpac is spot on. Just buy a Happy Tourist SIM from of the carriers (there is really not much difference) which will provide the data plan you look for. Then add value and learn how to call US and Israel at low rates.

300-400 B will not cover 2 weeks in Thailand. It will barely sufficient to purchase the Happy/Tourist SIM. Expect to double these amounts depending on how many calls you make.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NBTC to extend registration of prepaid SIM cards till August 31

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) now allows users of cellular prepaid SIM cards another 30 days to register after the deadline for registration expired yesterday July 31.

NBTC secretary general Thakorn Tanthasith said however that the extension of registration until August 31 would mean only those who failed to register their cards by the July 31 deadline could answer calls but could not make calls during the extended period.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nbt...till-august-31
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does all this SIM registration mean? Would it affect a tourist who buys a prepaid SIM?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
What does all this SIM registration mean? Would it affect a tourist who buys a prepaid SIM?
It is a requirement of the military junta, and the local regulatory agency. Each SIM must be registered to a person via their Thai national ID or if foreign, with their passport number.

In theory, a tourist will be required to show their passport so that it can be registered with any SIM purchase.

Again, in theory, foreigners who wish to use their "home country" SIM by roaming in Thailand should be able to get service without registering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.