Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:35 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by transpac
"is this the only ones the TrueMoveH kiosk is offering at the airport now?"

My best guess is that all three major service provider's (AIS, DTAC, TrueMove H) store-fronts at SBIA/BKK (level 2, outside of Customs) will try to steer most customers towards the "tourist/traveler" SIMs. No idea if you could get a more "standard" SIM at one of these airport shops? You may not be able to get 4G/LTE (from DTAC or TrueMove H, where available) with a tourist SIM, but you'll have to review the T's & C's for detail on that.

I think any of these tourist SIMs can be subsequently topped up, and any available pre-paid promotion could be applied, once you've used up your allotment. Other than the inital allotment(s) and some limited expiry these are, at least based on my cursory review, more or less like just about any other SIM.

Given the potential added service time which registration will involve, the queues at the airport might take even longer. You could of course buy a SIM at one of the billion or so shops anywhere in the Kingdom.

All SIMs are supposed to be registered by 31 July 2015, so there may not necessarily be an absolute requirement for registration as of today. As with all things here, YMMV.
I landed at 1:30am. I looked for other suppliers, but could not find any kiosks. Went all the way to the end (to the right out of International arrivals). There were 5 or 6 people in line and it took forever. I bailed, but luckily there are a store across the street from my hotel.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The three major mobile service providers: AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H each have a single store in SBIA/BKK on level 2 in the Arrivals Hall, maybe around doors #4 ~ #7?. These are the only mobile phone stores in the airport, but maybe there's the odd 7/11 somewhere, where you might also be able to get a SIM?

Unless there is some sort of urgent requirement for a SIM it might be simpler to just wait until you are at your first destination, swing a dead cat and you'll hit a dozen mobile shops or convenience stores.

http://aroimakmak.com/prepaid-sim-card/
http://john547.pixnet.net/blog/post/...90%83%E5%88%B0
http://thaiprepaidcard.com/category/true-move-2/
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:12 am

You should expect that you will have to register your SIM. TrueMove H takes a photo of your passport picture page and then associates that your your SIM (IMSI), number/account. Most tourist SIMs have limited expiry, ~ 90 days max., so that they can be quickly recycled.
What's the procedure for regular True Move H sim at a retail outlet like 7-11?

The only issue with bypassing the tourist sim at the airport is that you have nothing until you can get to the 7-11. Hopefully it's just a one-time issue for some of us I suppose.

-David
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

The only issue with bypassing the tourist sim at the airport is that you have nothing until you can get to the 7-11. Hopefully it's just a one-time issue for some of us I suppose.

-David
Don't know about 7-11 but you can go to MBK, Panthip, Central World or really any shopping mall (at least the ones I go to). You'll see kiosk after kiosk sellling SIM cards. If you're not familiar, look for signs listing a bunch of phone numbers. Those are the numbers they have for sale at that shop.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I understand what you mean by "procedure"? But if that means, "How do I buy a SIM?" then go into any mobile shop/kiosk/convenience store, point at the SIM, give them money, put it in your phone, maybe add value (give them more money, or use a top-up machine), then subscribe to the mobile data plan and/or calling promotion that meets your requirements.

There are top-up machines - they look like telephones - in some/many/most/all BTS stations (ticketing level, land-side), and outside 7/11's, which are easy to use.

TrueMove H may not sell pre-paid SIMs in their shops, other than the airport, as they like to direct this low-volume activity to resellers. True shops handle cable TV, internet (DOCSIS/DSL), fixed line and mobile so a bit different than DTAC and AIS.

I've seen clerks in 7/11s helping customers insert SIMs, etc. Obviously if you can't wait then just queue up at the airport.

For any standard SIM (not a tourist SIM), it is pretty easy to maintain 12 months maximum expiry, in case you plan to return. Simply apply up to 12 individual top-ups at 12 baht each for 144 baht (120 baht of credit) and you get 365 days.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:44 pm

For any standard SIM (not a tourist SIM), it is pretty easy to maintain 12 months maximum expiry, in case you plan to return. Simply apply up to 12 individual top-ups at 12 baht each for 144 baht (120 baht of credit) and you get 365 days.
This is my regular practice, usually at a machine outside a 7/11 or similar.

Is there any other way other than these machines?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any other way other than these machines?

DTAC has the "Day Give Away" service whereby you can buy extended validity.

Day Give-Away Service

Direct Number (USSD)*113*number of days you need 30, 90, 180*9#

IVR*1013 Press 9

which is 2 baht for 30 days, so 24 baht for 360 days.

I do not believe AIS or TrueMove H have a similar offer, but you could check with them.

In theory, no SIMs are supposed to expire per current loosely enforced regulations but not sure where this stands. Obviously they need to be able to recycle unused or zeroed accounts or they will run out of numbers but this logic is probably lost on the pooh-bahs here so they just ramble along until the issue is totally out of control.

I believe this may be one reason why they are offering Tourist SIMs, which can be recycled without drawing the ire of "the authorities"?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:26 am

Not sure I understand what you mean by "procedure"?
The question referred to the registration procedure.

-David
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The question referred to the registration procedure.

I can only speak to the current registration process for an existing SIM...I simply went in to the AIS, DTAC (both in Siam Paragon) and True (Siam Discovery) shops, gave them the number, my passport and a phone with the SIM installed. Each provider has their own internal processes and I didn't pay much attention to their activities, other than to say that the True CSR did take a picture of my passport with his phone - not ideal but what can you do.

I assume they take a copy of your passport, and associate some passport details with their internal account records?

In some cases (maybe AIS?) I did receive an SMS indicating successful registration. All three providers have a short code request to check registration. I tried the DTAC short code and it returned a msg which indicated successful registration and included my pp#.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 11, 2015 at 8:50 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
DTAC: If you sign up for e-services (which is a great feature anyway) it appears that you are able to register your Thai phone No, however, you are required to enter your 13 digit ID No. i.e. only available ifyou have a Thai ID card

In a post above someone asked if top-up was possible for "tourist/traveller" SIM card once the initial amount/data was used. I can confirm this. I have used my DTAC Tourist SIM card purchased in March 2014 on 3 trips to Thailand by now and it works like a charm. I top-up online on a regular basis (to avoid expiry of credit and SIM card) and upon arrival in Thailand I switch to my DTAC SIM and sign up for one of the many data plans available, typical 1 GB for a 2 week stay or 1,5 GB for longer.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Registering for web-based services, like DTAC's e-services platform (all 3 providers have web and mobile services platforms now), does not mean that your SIM is "registered", per the new regulatory/military junta's requirements. These are two different types of "registration".

I registered my DTAC pre-paid SIM for e-services on-line without a Thai ID so it may/should be possible?

AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H's Android apps are very good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eservice&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iservice&hl=en

I use DTAC primarily now, post-paid, but their Andrpid app is pretty incredible. You can even get a queue # for in shop service, with updates.

All/many/most/some tourist/traveler SIMs can be subsequently topped-up, and new promotions subscribed to. However, some of these specialized SIMs may have limited expiry, on the order of 90 days so just make sure those meet your requirements.

edited to add:

I just checked one of my prepaid DTAC SIMs, using the web-based e-Services platform, and see that there is a pick under "My Services", "Register SIM Card", and the pop-up looks like it may only take a Thai national ID card number, I immediately get a pop-up which says "Your SIM is already registered".

So unless you can get a Thai friend to register for you (on line, in person), I suspect that, as a foreigner, you may have to go in person to a shop where they can verify your details?

Last edited by transpac; Mar 12, 2015 at 11:44 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
So unless you can get a Thai friend to register for you (on line, in person), I suspect that, as a foreigner, you may have to go in person to a shop where they can verify your details?
As you point out, I understand it's a bit more difficult in the past year.

To the OP (and anyone else not familiar with the process), to find a shop go to MBK, 4th floor. Start on the North side (BTS end). Walk down the aisle on the west side of the building (parking lot side). When you get to the other end of the mall, slap yourself in the face because you just passed at least 40 shops that will happily sell you a SIM and register it. They are that easy to find.

You can do the same thing at a dozen other malls. I point out MBK because it's a popular tourist mall.

Look for kiosks that have signs with an assortment of phone numbers on them. Those are the numbers that they have available. If they are "lucky" numbers, they will charge you extra.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:07 am

I do not believe AIS or TrueMove H have a similar offer, but you could check with them.
I don't know if this is still current, but I found *9344 for Truemove and *500*9# (expensive compared to the others) for AIS.

http://thaiprepaidcard.com/ussd-keypress-codes/
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if this is still current, but I found *9344 for Truemove and *500*9# (expensive compared to the others) for AIS.

I manage quite a few SIMs, both my own loaner pool for visitors, and for some FTers, so I just do the 12 baht shuffle each month for ~ 12 SIMs. As such I haven't stayed up to speed on the operator-direct methods. I did just try TrueMove H/*9344 (that's an IVR number) and it did not work (that promo is called "Add Instant" , not sure why it didn't work for my TrueMove H SIM? . The AIS code actually changes your calling promotion, but you do get 30 min. of calling over 5 days as part of the 30 baht - although still not sure if the "Mao Mao" thing is still active.

If long term expiry is important the I'd recommend getting a standard SIM and doing twelve separate, individual 12 baht top-ups before you depart.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 13, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
To answer my own question, True still has a the free Sims at the airport to grab and go. They come with free 20mb (good for the ride from the airport to town) then hit up 7-11 and top up 200bhat for 7 days of "unlimited" (1gig) of data on the 3G network. Step up to 350 that for 15 days, 1.5gigs and use of their WiFi network.

The lines at all the kiosks at the airport were enormous, the grab and go solves that nicely. Once we have to register, it'll be impossible to get a sim at the airport IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.