Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by dtsm
Met the Mrs. at airport arrival hall, and needed prepaid asap. True kiosk took two minutes gave her 300baht, she cut the sim into nano size, taped set of englsih instructions n off i went. There are also kiosks for AIS and DTAC, all offer comparable deals.
True Move is cheap and works fine in populated areas. However, if going off the beaten track definitely go with AIS. I could not get any service on TM in the Khao Sok area, but our Thai gf has AIS so we used her phone when needed.
Old May 3, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by skibum7732
True Move is cheap and works fine in populated areas. However, if going off the beaten track definitely go with AIS. I could not get any service on TM in the Khao Sok area, but our Thai gf has AIS so we used her phone when needed.
+1.

More reason to avoid True:

1) English call-center is not 24 x 7. If you lose your SIM or need a PUK after 10pm local time you better speak Thai or wait until 0800 the next day.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:50 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
forget it.....

Last edited by seanthepilot; May 3, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Old May 3, 2014, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I think this is an inaccurate statement, although just a few years ago, it was the case.

These days, TRUEs footprint has widened. I have both TRUE and AIS and they both have dead spots in rural areas.
This is from personal experience in the Khao Sok area within the last year, as stated. I am not saying everywhere, but it was definitely the case there. AIS worked fine and True Move was useless. I never have had issues in Hua Hin, Phuket, Bangkok, etc with them though. We usally just spend 90% of our time in Pattaya anyway, so I use True Move due to the cheap calls to the US.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
I'm sick of going to the same bars/coffee shops or staying in the hotel to pick up wifi on my iPhone when I'm in Bangkok. I've done the thai sim thing before but I need to keep my UK number whilst travelling but want data on my phone when I'm out and about. Anyone got any ideas/advice? I'm generally there for 1 or 2 weeks at a time. I'm thinking along the lines of a mifi device but don't want a monthly subscription?

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by manymany
I'm sick of going to the same bars/coffee shops or staying in the hotel to pick up wifi on my iPhone when I'm in Bangkok. I've done the thai sim thing before but I need to keep my UK number whilst travelling but want data on my phone when I'm out and about. Anyone got any ideas/advice? I'm generally there for 1 or 2 weeks at a time. I'm thinking along the lines of a mifi device but don't want a monthly subscription?

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks.
Pay for the first month of the subscription. So what if they bill you again next month? You won't be there.

You don't need a mi-fi to do that. True and others will give you a SIM card with wi-fi. Usually around 900 THB for a month.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat/ UA Gold/ Marriott Platinum
Does the AIS in airports have nano sim for iPhones? Or should I look for at 7-11?
Old May 6, 2014, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by kraftwagen
Does the AIS in airports have nano sim for iPhones? Or should I look for at 7-11?
Yes. They cut to nano size, and then install/setup for you at kiosk.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:00 am

Any ideas for Iphone 4 user with 7.1 software that is not jailbroken yet?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by steamboater
I think you might be confusing jail-breaking with SIM locking ?! You can unlock a SIM locked iPhone by entering a unique code that's tied to the phone's serial number. AFAIK no need to root the OS in order to achieve this.

If your phone is SIM locked and the operator you are contracted with won't unlock it for you there are shops in Bangkok who can do it or you can use an on-line service who will send you an unlock code if you provide your IMEI but for an iPhone 5 they charge a lot (Have seen in excess of 70USD.)
Old May 9, 2014, 7:51 am

JB and unlock are separate issues.

4 model running 7.1 can be jb, check evasion for details. Once you jb, can also unlock free of charge on your own....

If you don't want to JB, depending on carrier, unlocking requires a simple phone call, providing IMEI # and waiting a few hours.

Or go to craigslist for unlocking services, shouldn't cost more than $10 for iPhone 4.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
JB and unlock are separate issues.

4 model running 7.1 can be jb, check evasion for details. Once you jb, can also unlock free of charge on your own....

If you don't want to JB, depending on carrier, unlocking requires a simple phone call, providing IMEI # and waiting a few hours.

Or go to craigslist for unlocking services, shouldn't cost more than $10 for iPhone 4.
Ok, I was confused because I read the article that is always linked and it reads:
"YOUR IPHONE MUST BE UNLOCKED (it’s free and MUCH easier to do than you think). No matter what version iphone you have, if it is “carrier locked” to a specific mobile carrier, you will not be able to use a local Thailand sim card in it. Several countries sell iphones unlocked, so you can skip this step. However, in several countries, including America, all iPhones come locked to a service provider (AT&T in America). To unlock your iphone, you must first “jailbreak” it (which sounds bad, but is completely legal), which just means that you are opening your iPhone up so you can run third party applications. Once it is jailbroken, you must “unlock” it so it is no longer tied to just one mobile company (which is also legal).

So in order to use my phone while in Thailand it only needs to be unlocked and then buy a local sim card?

Also, I went to Evasion website and pretty sure 7.1 is not able to be JB. Evasi0n7 1.0.8 error fixed and updated version Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad, iPod Touch running iOS 7.0 , 7.0.1 , 7.0.2 , 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6.

Last edited by steamboater; May 12, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old May 12, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
in several countries, including America, all iPhones come locked to a service provider (AT&T in America). To unlock your iphone, you must first “jailbreak” it ...
This is wrong on more than one count. First, Apple stores have sold unlocked phones in the USA for years. My household has owned five of them. So, are you positive that yours is locked? I.e., did you buy your phone under contract through a service provider? If so, which one? Are you still under contract? How long have you owned the phone? These things can make a difference in how easily a locked phone gets unlocked.

Also, it's absolutely NOT necessary to jailbreak the phone in order to get it unlocked, except perhaps as a last resort. A simple call your service provider should get it unlocked in a matter of minutes, but some providers are better about this than others. AT&T has a reputation for refusing to unlock phones, but I've known people whose persistence paid off, largely due to having fulfilled a contract and being reliable, long term customers.

So in order to use my phone while in Thailand it only needs to be unlocked and then buy a local sim card?
Once you are certain you have an unlocked phone, you will be able to insert any compatible sim from any provider in any country worldwide.

If you're USA-based, you also might want to consider whether T-Mobile's global program will work for you instead of messing with a local sim. You can read more about it in this FT thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-coverage.html

Good luck.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

So, are you positive that yours is locked? I.e., did you buy your phone under contract through a service provider? If so, which one? Are you still under contract? How long have you owned the phone?

If you're USA-based, you also might want to consider whether T-Mobile's global program will work for you instead of messing with a local sim. You can read more about it in this FT thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-coverage.html

Good luck.
Not positive I guess that it is locked. I filled out a form on ATT website for unlocking. I bought the iphone under a 2 year contract that recently expired in April. I have had the phone for 2 years. I guess Ill just work with Att on getting the phone unlocked and then I should be good to go.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:14 pm

Ok, I was confused
I'll keep it simple: to use with a local prepaid Thai sim card, your phone must be UNLOCKED.

To complicate matters, there are multiple ways to unlock your iPhone:

1. start by calling ATT to see if they will do it for you, FOC.
2. if #1 fails, try Craigslist, they will ask for IMEI # and up to $15 remitted to paypal account, usually takes less than 1 hr to complete
3. depending on your iOS, you can unlock yourself
4. wait till you get to Thailand and try to have someone do it for you.
5. If all else fails, get a second phone -- one which is unlocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.