Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will AIS change the SIM for me (but allow me to keep my number)?
Yes. Just visit any AIS or Telewiz shop where they'll give a new SIM and map your existing number to it.

Most mini (your original) SIMs are sold here with a micro-SIM snap-out, but it sounds as though your AIS SIM is not like that?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by transpac
Yes. Just visit any AIS or Telewiz shop where they'll give a new SIM and map your existing number to it.

Most mini (your original) SIMs are sold here with a micro-SIM snap-out, but it sounds as though your AIS SIM is not like that?
Great news, at least I didn't lose the 1,000THB then.

No, my AIS sim doesn't have a cut out. It's from early 2013 (so perhaps they changed to the cut out after I bought it).
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back and I have a SIM with about 4GB left on it. It's a Nano I used in my iPad. Should be good until about 1/23.

Free to good home in US - will mail first class. Send me a PM.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by transpac
Some like the DTAC/Happy Tourist SIM, which is 299 baht and bundled with voice and data. http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...ouristSIM.html[/url]
I'm in TG now and am using this SIM. I purchased it on Thursday and my unlocked iPhone 3 was up and running about 60 seconds later. Data was a bit slow but far from unbearable.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
The DTAC (and others) SIMs can be bought at 7-11s - better option than waiting in the sometimes long lines at BKK.

If you want just data and use little to no voice, buying a DTAC 49B SIM and layering a 1Gb (199B) option is marginally cheaper by 51B.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - the True line at BKK was insane.

I had to go to Paragon and get the free SIM and then go up to True and get a Nano. I don't think 7-11 has Nanos.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern

I had to go to Paragon and get the free SIM and then go up to True and get a Nano. I don't think 7-11 has Nanos.
Next time, try MBK
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
Next time, try MBK
Hard to get award flights on Nok and AirAsia . . .
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
AIS Traveller Sim

It seems that AIS has a similar product:

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/visi...avelersim.aspx

The free 1 GB data does not seem to restricted to 7 days only - or? For a 2 week stay I would prefer 1GB rather than 7 days unlimted use as I most likely wil not use 1 GB data in addition to the hotel wifi.

Or should I just buy a Freedom SIM and buy a 2 week/30 day data package? (I cant find the AIS 1.5 GB for 30 days mentioned elsewhere)

How is the AIS speed and coverage compared to dtac/Happy in Phuket?

Last edited by SK AAR; Mar 2, 2014 at 1:38 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by josephstern

Met the Mrs. at airport arrival hall, and needed prepaid asap. True kiosk took two minutes gave her 300baht, she cut the sim into nano size, taped set of englsih instructions n off i went. There are also kiosks for AIS and DTAC, all offer comparable deals.

Last edited by dtsm; Mar 2, 2014 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
It seems that AIS has a similar product:

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/visi...avelersim.aspx

The free 1 GB data does not seem to restricted to 7 days only - or? For a 2 week stay I would prefer 1GB rather than 7 days unlimted use as I most likely wil not use 1 GB data in addition to the hotel wifi.

Or should I just buy a Freedom SIM and buy a 2 week/30 day data package? (I cant find the AIS 1.5 GB for 30 days mentioned elsewhere)

How is the AIS speed and coverage compared to dtac/Happy in Phuket?
I think that Traveler SIM only gives 1 GB (64 Kbps FuP) for seven (7) days. You could then subscribe for another 7 days (or 10 days, it looks like they have some add-on promotions), or just get a SIM for 50 baht, and subscribe to a 1 GB/30 day plan for ~ 400 baht?

AIS has achieved an impressive roll-out of 2100 MHz 3G: 20,000 base-stations with 97% coverage so I'd expect the speed/coverage will be fine. The only downside is that they have the most customers, and the same spectrum, so there is going to be some congestion sooner rather than later. They tried to do a roaming deal with TOT but that fell through as anti-Thaksin forces are targeting AIS, even though it has been owned by Singapore for ages.

DTAC and TrueMove H should be fine as well.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Does anyone know what is the minimum top up for a 12call simcard you can buy at a 7Eleven shop? 100 THB was the lowest I bought in the past, but this time I probably need less than that (yes I know it's not that big amount of money but I'd like to know anyway)
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I don't know about 7-Eleven specifically, but I've done as little as THB50 at AIS service shops like Telewiz. They do it for you right at the counter rather than giving you a top up card.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the minimum top-up via a counter transaction, say at a 7/11, is 30 or 50 baht. However, there are free-standing top-up machines outside many/most convenience stores, and these allow for top-ups as low as 10 baht (12 baht in total with the 2 baht fee). These are easy to use and have English menus, and support all three major operators.

Note that TrueMove H moved to a new top-up/accumulation scheme as of March 18, 2014. Any/every top-up gives 30 days validity out to a maximum of 365 days, so it is easy to build up 1 year of validity with twelve top-ups of 12 baht each, for a total of 144 baht.

DTAC still has the Day-Giveaway option, where you can buy extended validity for 2 baht for each 30 days.

Not sure if AIS has anything new, other than their Mao-Mao promotion which allows you to buy 30 days validity, and some calling time, for 30 baht.

DTAC is about to launch 4G/LTE on band 1 (2100 MHz) on 300 base-stations in metro-Bangkok.

TrueMove H offers similar LTE service in metro-Bangkok and ~ 14 other locales in Thailand.

Not sure if there are any plans to offer 4G/LTE pre-paid plans.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
thx ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.