Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by thegrailer
AT&T 3G only - right bf the Skyrocket. And yes, unlocked.

Thanks again

Cheers
My son's unlocked AT&T Galaxy S II had no issues with the dtac "Happy" SIM in BKK and HKT.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:56 pm

Hi all! Are still in Thailand and I will tell you my experience with true move h. In Bangkok no problem find microsim and nanosim (iphone5) in stores true move, which can be found pretty easily especially in the commercial area. For pre paid (no document required), the plan is iPlay. You can add data packets also reported on the website true move. The biggest data Pack includes 5 GB data in 3 g/Edge/Gprs, high speed over 5 GB the speed is limited. Also with this (and other) package can use the wifi hot spot true move across the Thailand.

Let's cover: I've almost never had problems in northern Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang mai, Chiang rai and other isolated areas also). The coverage is pretty good and I rarely is happened that went national on the network roaming true move (without the H). In any remote Valley I was without signal, but also other operators weren't there. Now I am in Phuket (karon) and coverage is good here too.

the connection speed is acceptable across the northern part of Thailand. Obviously the 42 theoretical mbps are a fairy tale. Well that goes for download you have 1.5 Mbps. Upload the situation is more critical. Sometimes I had trouble doing uploads.

now here in Phuket (karon/kata) the coverage is excellent. But the down/up speeds are very low for many hours of the day. And here do Skype Communications is more difficult with frequent disconnections.

in the coming days I will do a few rounds in the Islands around Phuket and we will see the situation.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:06 am

so which sim for an unlocked iphone4, pretty much for light data for a week?
(iMessage, email, light web/apps, no streaming). True Move H?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
so which sim for an unlocked iphone4, pretty much for light data for a week?
(iMessage, email, light web/apps, no streaming). True Move H?
Assuming Bangkok, and main tourist destinations then either TrueMove H or DTAC/Happy might be the best option.

DTAC/Happy do have a 1 week/1 GB unlimited internet usage (FuP 384 Kbps) plan for 199 baht.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...t-package.html

With TrueMove H they do have some 5 & 10 day plans.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topp...talk/entry/653

Note that the DTAC/Happy weekly plan offers unlimited internet usage so you never have to worry about exceeding your cap, other than experiencing slower speeds. The TrueMove H plans are hard-capped and your balance will be depleted (either by paying by the minute or KB) once you go over your cap.

These plans would be layered onto any SIM by purchasing a SIM, adding value and then subscribing to the desired plan.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:59 am

thanks .. dtac/happy it is. It looks like the happy tourist sim 299 comes with 7 days unlimited internet for 299 Bt. (if that's extended past March 31).

-David
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks .. dtac/happy it is. It looks like the happy tourist sim 299 comes with 7 days unlimited internet for 299 Bt. (if that's extended past March 31).

-David
I keep forgetting about that Happy Tourist SIM; it may be perfect for your stay and requirements. Some web pages show it good through 31 (assume they mean 30 ) June.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...ouristsim.html

If you can't find one just buy any Happy SIM and subscribe to the weekly data plan. There is a DTAC/Happy shop, along with AIS/One-2-Call and TrueMove shops, at Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport (BKK) on level 2 (arrivals) just outside Customs, ~ door #6. If the queue to buy a SIM is too long, maybe just head into town and buy a SIM at any convenience store, or phone shop?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by transpac
I keep forgetting about that Happy Tourist SIM; it may be perfect for your stay and requirements. Some web pages show it good through 31 (assume they mean 30 ) June.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...ouristsim.html

If you can't find one just buy any Happy SIM and subscribe to the weekly data plan. There is a DTAC/Happy shop, along with AIS/One-2-Call and TrueMove shops, at Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport (BKK) on level 2 (arrivals) just outside Customs, ~ door #6. If the queue to buy a SIM is too long, maybe just head into town and buy a SIM at any convenience store, or phone shop?
Happy Tourist Sim is ideal for me, and the airport kiosk was the plan!

Thanks for the follow-up. Will take your advice if the queue is too long.

-David
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:47 pm

Are there places to pick up the DTAC/Happy in CNX?

(Also, will there be any issue using that SIM with an iPhone 5?)
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Are there places to pick up the DTAC/Happy in CNX?

(Also, will there be any issue using that SIM with an iPhone 5?)
Do you mean at the airport in Chiang Mai, or somewhere/anywhere in Chiang Mai?

Nano SIMs are a bit more challenging to source, but once you have one it will work with your unlocked iPhone 5. You may have to visit a DTAC shop, or some larger retail phone shops, perhaps in the nearby Central Airport Plaza, or at Central Kad Suan Kaew? (Note that "Central" <say 'Centrahn'> is large shopping mall operator, rather than denoting a central location.)
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:36 pm

Do you mean at the airport in Chiang Mai, or somewhere/anywhere in Chiang Mai?

Nano SIMs are a bit more challenging to source, but once you have one it will work with your unlocked iPhone 5. You may have to visit a DTAC shop, or some larger retail phone shops, perhaps in the nearby Central Airport Plaza, or at Central Kad Suan Kaew? (Note that "Central" <say 'Centrahn'> is large shopping mall operator, rather than denoting a central location.)
Well, preferably I'd like to find in CNX proper (the airport), but anywhere in CNX (the city) would be workable. I shoulda been clearer.

Looks like Central Airport Plaza is rather close to CNX, so I guess I can try there on my way from the airport... Any place I may be able to secure one of these in Hong Kong (where I'll be immediately prior)?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may be able to find a SIM at Chiang Mai airport, maybe even a nano SIM, maybe even a nano SIM for DTAC/Happy but it may take you a while as you will have to ask at many conceivable shops. Maybe best to just go to Central. I do not think you could buy a DTAC/Happy nano SIM in Hong Kong, at least it wouldn't be easy.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:37 am

update on the dtac happy tourist sim. Connectivity for voice seems fine, data is a little spotty for me. Anyway, it's fine for USD $9 (299 Bt) at the airport kiosk, which is the plan that included 7 days of unlimited 3g data.

Confusion reins supreme over the 10-digit dailing plan in place here, at least for me. Yes, I understand the theory, but in practice it doesn't work out that way. The iphone seems to know the 0 is optional by inserting it in parenthesis when you enter it, and if you don't enter it it thinks the country code is +668. For some numbers, the call won't go through with it included, particularly numbers published as 9-digit (land line?) numbers with (0) included in the number. I don't know if it's an issue if you don't include the +country code in every number in your address book, but I always do.

-David
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For people who may fly in from Europe, both AF and KL have been giving away free Happy SIM's for a long time now, as you step off the plane. At least they do for business class. I have had no problems using these SIM cards. And they come with both normal size and micro.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:04 am

update on the dtac happy tourist sim. Connectivity for voice seems fine, data is a little spotty for me.
I had to power-cycle the iphone to get data service back. Weird, but now it's fine and 3g, so it must have been a setting or something.

-David
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:08 pm

You may be able to find a SIM at Chiang Mai airport, maybe even a nano SIM, maybe even a nano SIM for DTAC/Happy but it may take you a while as you will have to ask at many conceivable shops. Maybe best to just go to Central. I do not think you could buy a DTAC/Happy nano SIM in Hong Kong, at least it wouldn't be easy.
Great, thanks so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.