Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
My personal issue? Currently my phone only works with two providers' 3G network. When everybody moves over to 2100mhz, my phone will now be able to use 3G on any network. This will allow me to move to a different provider if I choose.

So my statement was saying, it will be interesting to see what happens with the 60+ million people in Thailand when the frequencies change for 3G. There could be a lot of provider jumping and/or new phone purchasing.
Most phones which support either/both 850 MHz and/or 900 MHz 3G also support 2100 MHz 3G.

Based on your comment, I'm guessing here that your phone supports 850 and 2100 MHz 3G, so maybe you use TrueMove H or DTAC/Happy, or even TOT, so you will remain unaffected for the foreseeable future. You could continue to use TrueMove H, DTAC/Happy or TOT through 2018, or possibly switch to one new 2100 MHz services sometime over the next five years.

Everyone is not moving over to the new frequency, at least not until 2015 for AIS/One-2-Call and 2018 for DTAC/Happy.

Worst case, some 18 million TrueMove (not TrueMove H) customers will have to move by September of this year. But I suspect that even this will not end up being a requirement as some deal will be struck to allow TrueMove to lease back their 1800 MHz GSM network.

There may some churn, at least for that small percentage of users who have 2100 MHz 3G compatible handsets, admittedly a small portion of the current base. They would have to purchase a new SIM or port in.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:44 pm

Yeah, exactly. Should be interesting!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: CX, le club accorhotels platinum
AIS mobile internet was great back in July but not anymore. Always switching back & forth between H+, H and Edge. Most apps are fine but one of my main smartphone apps was seriously hurt by this. After a while I gave up and spent the same amount again on True Move H.

I wonder what happened to the cell tower/station around Amarin Plaza because right now that can be such a bad spot for both AIS and True Move H on weekdays.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: PLT Life Marriott, SPG, AA, Delta
What would be the issue trying to use my US iPhone (AT&T) and add a plan for international data and voice for some amount and then turn it on and off pre/post trip? Is that not an option or a wise choice?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by cdnbum88
What would be the issue trying to use my US iPhone (AT&T) and add a plan for international data and voice for some amount and then turn it on and off pre/post trip? Is that not an option or a wise choice?
It will be a lot more expensive (although it might be the best option if your phone is locked).
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Homer15
It will be a lot more expensive (although it might be the best option if your phone is locked).
Well I figured for the convience and if I turn it on/off it would be around $30 prorated or something for 12 days in Thailand and Hong Kong.

Plus my luck I would butcher the SIM card on my iPhone and have more issues beyond the calling plan

Good, I was hoping as a newbie on this front that I wasn't missing something. Worst case I would have bought a prepaid phone anyway, but wanted mine instead.

Thank you.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think AT&T provides unlocking of iPhones for customers in advance of international travel, so that they can use pre-paid SIMs during their trip.

I confess I haven't stayed up to date on this issue but maybe you could review the tech sub-forum here on FT and/or contact AT&T? I think there were some requirements re: being a customer in good standing for some period of time.

Were you planning on travelling to Thailand? Which iPhone model do you have?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by transpac
I think AT&T provides unlocking of iPhones for customers in advance of international travel, so that they can use pre-paid SIMs during their trip.

I confess I haven't stayed up to date on this issue but maybe you could review the tech sub-forum here on FT and/or contact AT&T? I think there were some requirements re: being a customer in good standing for some period of time.

Were you planning on travelling to Thailand? Which iPhone model do you have?
I was 14 months in on a 24 month contract and AT&T would not unlock my phone. Was told that AT&T will only unlock phones if you have already been through one contract cycle. I called up several times and talked to at least 4 different CSRs on the phone. Also visited a local AT&T support center. Same story.

I ended up buying the unlock code for my phone on eBay. Worked great.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:30 am

I have never changed a SIM card in my iPhone but I guess I can look it up.

I am still thinking getting a rate plan for like 12 days would not be that much more expensive then getting a SIM card over there if I start/stop the plan and have it prorated only for those days used.

Either way, it looks like I have options and I will probably go with the convenience of just utilizing my existing SIM and an additional international plan and then use hotel wifi most of the time anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
I have never changed a SIM card in my iPhone but I guess I can look it up.

I am still thinking getting a rate plan for like 12 days would not be that much more expensive then getting a SIM card over there if I start/stop the plan and have it prorated only for those days used.

Either way, it looks like I have options and I will probably go with the convenience of just utilizing my existing SIM and an additional international plan and then use hotel wifi most of the time anyway.
Here is why you need a local Sim card.......

will your hotel, tour driver, lunch date or really anyone in BKK call your USA etc number ?
probably not !

a Thai sim card is cheap , and local calls are cheap , even calling back to the USA-Europe is cheap...

I guess the worst thing is your friends back home will need to dial an overseas number to talk with you...

in 3 weeks i probably do not spend $20 and I call back to the USA every couple days ,
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
cdma for wifi

I know I can't make calls from my cdma Verizon Droid, but can I at least use it to connect to wifi and check emails while in Thailand. Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by skibum7732
I know I can't make calls from my cdma Verizon Droid, but can I at least use it to connect to wifi and check emails while in Thailand. Thanks
I thought most of the Verizon Droid devices were dual (CDMA and GSM). Verizon is marketing most of their newer phones as "Global Ready" since much of the world is not accessible with CDMA.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
AIS has been working out pretty good for me. I visited in September and purchased a SIM and 3G plan from the kiosk at the BKK arrivals level. I recently returned a couple weeks ago, popped my SIM in my iPhone right before landing, turned my phone on while still on the taxiway, and still had my phone number and THB 200 of credit loaded up. Internet loaded up instantly.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I thought most of the Verizon Droid devices were dual (CDMA and GSM). Verizon is marketing most of their newer phones as "Global Ready" since much of the world is not accessible with CDMA.
Mine is the original droid from a few years ago. It isnt global ready and want to make sure I can still use it for internet access using wifi signals. I have a gsm cell foor calls only, but planned on using my droid to access email as I will not be taking laptop on this trip
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skibum7732
WiFi is the same here as everywhere so you should be able to connect fine.

Some SIMs/providers have associated WiFi plans. TrueMove/TrueMove H (30,000 APs) and AIS/One-2-Call (partner is 3BB with 50,000 APs) have the most WiFi APs. You may be able to use the SIM in your "gsm cell" and get the WiFi password to use with your Droid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.