Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Holiday? Busy Season? Bad Scheduling? Feb 20th (HKT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus

I'm trying to book a flight out of Phuket on the 20th of February (to SIN). That's a Tuesday, mid-week - I figured no problem and put it off. Now I'm finding all of the cheap seats and most of the flight options are totally sold out.

Is this what it's like for high season in the area or is something else going on during this time period? For the flights I'm looking at with SilkAir, if I flew out any day but the one I want, it'd be about half the price with plenty of coach seats available.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That's the last day of the Chinese New year holiday - the peakest peak travel time in this part of the world.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:20 pm

Chinese New Year?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bad timing on my part then -- thank you both for the info
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
If you don't mind flying via KUL, try MH, it doesn't look too full

Cheers
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
If you don't mind flying via KUL, try MH, it doesn't look too full

Cheers
Thanks - I was thinking about that. The MH flights are available in Y and a little cheaper than the SilkAir non-stop in Biz (all that's available). I can also check the AirAsia to KUL with a connection to MH as an option.

Since I've never been to KUL, now I'm thinking about leaving a few hours and possibly doing a quick visit between flights (very quick) or just visiting some of the lounges folks have been discussing by buying an F ticket back to SIN for that last segment. Decisions, decisions but I am leaning towards to SilkAir right now, even without miles.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I can also check the AirAsia to KUL with a connection to MH as an option.
don't do that, unless u leave at least a four-hour gap for the connection, as air asia operates such a tight schedule that delays tend to accumulate as the day progresses. u'll also need to be aware that air asia uses the low-cost terminal, while mh uses the normal one; there is a bus service between the two, but u have to pay for it.

ian.

Last edited by iancanton; Jan 8, 2007 at 8:51 am
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iancanton
don't do that, unless u leave at least a four-hour gap for the connection, as air asia operates such a tight schedule that delays tend to accumulate as the day progresses. u'll also need to be aware that air asia uses the low-cost terminal, while mh uses the normal one; there is a bus service between the two, but u have to pay for it.

ian.
Very good information to know - Thanks for the heads up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.