Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking forbidden ... Thailand all public areas ... starting today

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Smoking forbidden ... Thailand all public areas ... starting today

Smoking is now forbidden in all public areas in Thailand, starting today: 29 December 2006.
According to this morning's newspaper in Bangkok:
Originally Posted by The Nation newspaper

The ban forbids smoking on public transport, at bus stops, in elevators, public phone booths, libraries, theatres, children's playgrounds, drugstores, meeting rooms, massage parlours and spas.

Smoking in indoor stadiums is also banned - excluding snooker rooms. The ban on smoking also includes schools and educational institutes.

Air-conditioned areas in art exhibition halls, galleries, museums, shopping malls, barbershops, Internet cafes and karaoke booths are also no-smoking zones.

The ban includes the lobbies of hotels, resorts, condominiums, apartments and restaurants, excluding entertainment areas.

Smokers are still allowed to smoke in their personal offices, individual rooms or rooms provided as smoking areas.
Individual fines are 2,000 baht.
Business owners who allow smoking on their premises are subject to fine of 20,000 baht.

A telephone hot-line has been set up for snitches to call in to the government.

-- Peter
Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
what is "public area"?
is restaurant and bar a public area?
Restaurant owners will be fined 20000 baht if someone smoke there?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:57 pm

You weren't allowed to smoke inside a restaurant for years already in thailand.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I still think it's big news. More and more countries are banning smoking in public places!!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I still think it's big news. More and more countries are banning smoking in public places!!
A few states in the US have gone this way (HI included). The only problem is, I've noticed nothing really all too new here in Hawaii after the new law went into effect on Nov. 16th. People don't really follow the law of not smoking in public places (defined as 20ft or so away from entrances to buildings, etc.). The only difference I see is at the Honolulu Int'l Airport, where smokers cannot smoke anywhere within the terminal building and must go out to the bus stops to smoke.

Laws are only as good as they're enforced and followed.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
At Suvarnabhumi smoking inside is naturally prohibited except in the designated smoking rooms, so everyone goes outside and smokes right near the doorways. This means anyone entering or exiting the airport has no option but to traverse through the cloud of smoke. A similar problem with the smoking rooms. People using them don't close the door and/or the door gets open/close so frequently that the entire area around the smoking rooms is filled with smoke. I appreciate the steps to segregate smokers from those that don't want to smell the smoke, but they need to take it one step further to do the job correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.